C-141 approaches historical conclusion

I've ridden in a 141 twice in my 12 years in the Air Force. Once from Andrews to Eileson (9.5hrs non-stop!!!), that one was from the TN ANG that used the call sign ELVIS. The other was a MS ANG 141 from D-M to Andrews. On that trip we went from a warm 70 degrees at D-M to a snow and ice covered ramp at Andrews with a temp/wind chill of -10!!! As the jet taxiied onto our ramp the jet rocked around as it crunched over the ice! You could HEAR the ice crunching under the tires!

Chappie

The first C-5 is due in here on Monday, 3 OCT, already wearing its "Wright-Patterson" tailflash. The C-141s have been slowly heading to D-M over the past few years. With the drawdown of other C-141 units, we've gotten replacements for the higher-time jets. I think the current 445AW inventory is about 11 jets.

Jake

I always like the C-141. They use to have them at the ANG base in Jackson (MS) so I saw them doing touch-and-goes numerous times. I was and still am impressed with how short a runway it used for takeoffs and landings. Jackson got rid of their starlifters and has C-17s now. Any kits out there for C-141?

jason

fond memories as a child in the 141... everytime my dad would be stationed somewhere else, the starlifter was our taxi... to lajes field, frankfurt, etc. loud, cold, few little circular windows, uncomfortable seats facing backwards, but still fond memories for a young boy...

About 8 yrs ago, Charleston AFB still had some 141s. We had a JROTC tour of the base, and they showed us some of the C-17s that were being transitioned in, and the few 141s they still had left. A handful of the 141s they said were specially modified for Rangers or Special Ops or something along those lines. Anyone know anything about that? We could tell them apart from the rest of the 141s on the flight line becuase they still had the Euro scheme.

About 8 yrs ago, Charleston AFB still had some 141s. We had a JROTC tour of the base, and they showed us some of the C-17s that were being transitioned in, and the few 141s they still had left. A handful of the 141s they said were specially modified for Rangers or Special Ops or something along those lines. Anyone know anything about that? We could tell them apart from the rest of the 141s on the flight line becuase they still had the Euro scheme.

Those were the SOLL II (Special Operations Low Level version II) models. They could be distinguished by two bulges under the nose and later got the grey scheme as well.

Koen

Ahhhh – My best memories in a C-141, well . . . there aren’t many as most rides were long over-the-pond flights sitting in the back. A few flights experienced an unfair share of maintenance problems and delays. However . . .

I had a return flight from Rhein-Main to DMAFB with the en-route customs stop at McGuire. Just after wheels up from Germany I asked if I could join the flight crew on the flight deck and occupy the jump seat. Over England at about 30,000 feet the pilot and co-pilot began straining to look forward (I didn’t have a headset, so I couldn’t pick up the conversation). After a few seconds I spotted what was gathering their attention: a small black spot trailing a nice black smoke trail. As we closed the gap the unmistakable F-4 gull wing became evident and the Phantom was right at our flight level – “This will be fun†I mused to myself. At that moment the Phantom rolled inverted and lined up directly on us!! Our closure rate had to be approaching 1,000 knots and the Rhino grew very big, very fast! As he flashed over the top of our Starlifter, canopy to canopy, I could see the US star and bar on the top side of the wing, and I cursed my stupidity for leaving the camera back in the aft cabin! The rest of the flight was a snoozer, but the Phantom Phly-past was truly awesome!

ATB –

- Rip -

I always like the C-141. They use to have them at the ANG base in Jackson (MS) so I saw them doing touch-and-goes numerous times. I was and still am impressed with how short a runway it used for takeoffs and landings. Jackson got rid of their starlifters and has C-17s now. Any kits out there for C-141?

jason

Dragon did a 1/200 version of the A and B models.

I just got my hands on a (2 actually) home moulded 1/144 C-141C from a gentleman that works at Wright Patterson. The kit comes with the Hanoi Taxi or currently scheme decals.

It is solid resin and the detail is very fine. Instructions are quite comprehensive. The only small drawback with the kit is that it does not come with langing gear. All the bays are moulded shut. I got 2 kits so I could experiment with one to open up the wells and add landing gear. I think I will be tacklng one of these kits early next year.

:P

Ahhhh – My best memories in a C-141, well . . . there aren’t many as most rides were long over-the-pond flights sitting in the back. A few flights experienced an unfair share of maintenance problems and delays. However . . .

I had a return flight from Rhein-Main to DMAFB with the en-route customs stop at McGuire. Just after wheels up from Germany I asked if I could join the flight crew on the flight deck and occupy the jump seat. Over England at about 30,000 feet the pilot and co-pilot began straining to look forward (I didn’t have a headset, so I couldn’t pick up the conversation). After a few seconds I spotted what was gathering their attention: a small black spot trailing a nice black smoke trail. As we closed the gap the unmistakable F-4 gull wing became evident and the Phantom was right at our flight level – “This will be fun†I mused to myself. At that moment the Phantom rolled inverted and lined up directly on us!! Our closure rate had to be approaching 1,000 knots and the Rhino grew very big, very fast! As he flashed over the top of our Starlifter, canopy to canopy, I could see the US star and bar on the top side of the wing, and I cursed my stupidity for leaving the camera back in the aft cabin! The rest of the flight was a snoozer, but the Phantom Phly-past was truly awesome!

ATB –

- Rip -

wow! what a great story!

Hey Jeff -

Congrats on earning your boomer wings!

As an aside on the Hanoi Taxi part of this string - when I was at HQ TAC (now ACC) the navigator for the Hanoi Taxi worked in my office. He gave me the approach plates for Hanoi and a two slides of NVAF helicopters on the ground in Hanoi! I'll have to dig around the archives and try to find them. If I locate the Hanoi approach plate, I'll PDF it and post it here. One of the helicopters was an Mi-8 with the tail number of 1999. I've got an 10 x 14 print of it in my big "Box-O-Photos". I'll have to try to find it and scan that one too.

ATB -

- Rip -

So, is the Hanoi Taxi back to its original paint scheme???

It was repainted the last time it went through depot at Warner-Robins a few years ago (2002, I think?). The Air Force Museum had a hell of a time getting the USAF to accept the retro paint. I saw it today, and it still looks wonderful.

Jake

How about an -A model in 1/48! :thumbsup: :o

Any one of those cottage industry companies could do it. :wave:

Next up a AC-5E Super Spectre with 2 - 155mm short barreled howitzers, Quad mount 40mm guns, 10 - 20mm Gatlings, and 4 - GAU-8/A 30mm's.

:D :wacko: :lol:

Cheers :lol:

Anyone know which version of the C-5 will replace it? A, B, C, or M?

As, but it really doesn't matter. The varioius update programs have largely eliminated the differences between the A and B. The 445AW is getting 11 C-5s in total. 9 are coming from the 439AW at Westover. The first one, due in at noon on Monday is coming from Travis AFB, CA, and the last one is scheduled to arrive from Altus AFB, OK in the spring of 2007.

Jake

Next up a AC-5E Super Spectre with 2 - 155mm short barreled howitzers, Quad mount 40mm guns, 10 - 20mm Gatlings, and 4 - GAU-8/A 30mm's.

:D      :wacko:      :unsure:

Cheers  :thumbsup:

Funny you say that...

AC-5B.jpg

WOW!!!!!!!

Wonder how they've kept that one under wraps for so long..... ;)

Harald