Difference between F-4J and F-4S

in modeling terms

the differences are:minor cockpit changes(but you could get away with these)

LE slats as Dave pointed out,don't forget the bracing straps under the wings plus the extended wing fences

Laurent,those attennas were fitted to late F-4J's too.

Also F-4S's were the only Navy/Marine Phantoms fitted with slim lights

Cheers,

Gary...who building one of each for the GB

Edited by mungo1974

Dave,

Just looking at a future project. Very distant project. Nice to dream. :bandhead2: I wanted to do a 1/32 F-4S in these colors:

http://www.brookhursthobbies.com/camdecals....asp?img=32-015

I grew up on Andrews AFB and remember seeing the Hell's Angels as a kid.

The only 1/32 kit I could think of was the Tamiya J model. Any ideas?

Lenny

The only 1/32 kit I could think of was the Tamiya J model.  Any ideas?

Lenny

CE makes an F-4S conversion for the Tamiya F-4J kit. Unfortunately, like their slatted wing E conversion, the slats are in the extended position, which is not as common on static F-4s as the slats retracted. Also, I don't believe you get anything for the underwing strap, although I can't remember if there is a template on the instructions for you to make your own out of sheet plastic.

Edited by Dave Williams

The CE does indeed privide a template for the under wing straps, actully there are 3 straps on the S, the main one across the centre line , and two outer straps that extend to the outer wing panels

I really can't reconned the S sonversion from CE , in essence to outer wing panels are taken fom the Revell F-4E kit , with Tamiya Hinges grafted in , and the whole thing then cast in resin .

this usalluy results in the hinges not mating to the Tamiya Plastic parts. In addition the panel lines on the Revell kit are wrong, and if your being a stickler , you need to re-scribe them...

As Dave said , the inner wing slats can only be assembled in the extended position , something that is very rarely seen on F-4's other than during servicing , the only F-4 i know that flew with the outer wing panels extended was Vandy 1

I'm planning a simliar conversion next year , converting the Tamiya F-4e into a G, and in this case i'll use the CAM S conversion, this provides the inner flap actuator bulges , and the outer wind slats as small additions to be added to the kit parts - al in all a much simpler conversion that CE's , and a LOT cheaper !

Does anyone have the CAM F-4S conversion? The pictures of the set at Brookhurst Hobbies and Great Models don't inspire a lot of confidence. First, I count only 4 inboard slat actuator fairings. There should be 6 (3 per wing). Also, the outer wing fences, or what I assume are the fences, appear to be the short ones used on the F-4E/F/G, not the long ones used on the F-4S.

CAMR32044.jpg

Edited by Dave Williams

I don't have the set , but I think the set in the photo has been around a bit , the right had wing leading edge section looks as if it has 5 1/1 actuators, one looks as tho' its been broken off , and the other piece looks as tho some of the acutator pieces have broken off as well

To be honest , I'm guessing that this set is based, like the CE one, on the Revell F-4e kit

the fences shouldn't really be too much of a problem to scratch build - any one weilding a razor saw in the vicinity of a £70 kit should have some experence in fabrication - :cheers:

You know it would be so much easier if Mr T just produced a late model E...! :cheers:

Hi guys,

Another problem with the CAM set besides the wing fences is the slats are Air Force-type. The ones on the F-4S were thicker and had a different cross section. Cutting Edge did get that bit right. I think Bill Spidle posted some detail photos on this forum a month or so ago.

Paul Stoner came up with a good way to get the CE outer slats to fit (look about 3/4 the way down the page): http://www.largescaleplanes.com/articles/J...ildWeasel1.html

As-is, the CE outer wing panel is too thin, and the hinges don't match up with the Tamiya wing at all. Not one of CE's better efforts. CE also forgot to mention in their instructions that if you build the slats extended, you'll also need to drop the flaps.

If you're thinking of modifying some CAM slats, rather than paying for a CE set, see if you can find a Revell F-4E/F kit for a decent price. Then you'll have correctly-sized afterburner cans, too. You can combine them with the Tamiya cans and parts from the Eduard F-4J detail set to get some really nice-looking nozzles. You can sell the F-15-type drop tank to recoup some of your costs. :lol:

HTH.

Ben

Paragon did/do a set of 1/32 LE Slats for the F-4S

Nope, 'fraid not ;) I only did the F-4 E/F/G in 1/32.

In 1/72 and 1/48 I did the F-4 E/F/G and the F-4 'S'.

:cheers:

well its about time you did a F-4S set in 1/32 :cop:

Hear, hear!

I second that suggestion.

Been hoping that someone would produce a good (e.g.- accurate) 1/32 slatted F-4 wing conversion set.

I've got both CE F-4E and CAM F-4S conversion sets and I'm not too impressed with either one.

IIRC, the CAM set did not include any of the actuator fairings, although it was shown in the photos. Don't know if it was short packed or what. Have to dig out my set to confirm.

Maybe F-4DableModels could fund the design & master for one, so we can also produce our future F-4S sheet in 1/32 scale?

Any takers?

Jason C.

Edited by j-basset
Hear, hear!

I second that suggestion.

Been hoping that someone would produce a good (e.g.- accurate) 1/32 slatted F-4 wing conversion set.

I've got both CE F-4E and CAM F-4S conversion sets and I'm not too impressed with either one.

IIRC, the CAM set did not include any of the actuator fairings, although it was shown in the photos. Don't know if it was short packed or what. Have to dig out my set to confirm.

Maybe F-4DableModels could fund the design & master for one, so we can also produce our future F-4S sheet in 1/32 scale?

Any takers?

Jason C.

more to the point hows the 1/48 sheet coming along?