PK-601 Supermarine Stranraer

My entry, fresh from the box some gray parts, some tan parts, some green parts, and some clear parts ....

01_MbxPK601_KitBox_5742S.jpg

03_MbxPK601_Parts_5755S.jpg

03_MbxPK601_Parts_5761S.jpg

03_MbxPK601_Parts_5766S.jpg

03_MbxPK601_Parts_5769S.jpg

04_MbxPK601_Decal_5770S.jpg

Haven't started yet, have one thing to get off the bench, but that should happen by this weekend.

My build plan, if it can be called that, is to work on sub-assemblies while I study the rigging plan and drill the appropriate locating holes .... Then I'll get down to work.

BTW, I got this kit because long, long ago (had to be mid-60's), I got an article and plans set from Aeromodeller magazine and fell in love with the aircraft. I lost my collection of Aeromodeller, MAP, MAN, etc plans in a move but still think about the aircraft a couple times a year ....

John

Edited by jRatz

OK, I picked up a few paints I needed this weekend and late today I finally cleared my priority project off the bench.

But, all I got done on the Stranraer was to wash the parts down.

Real work starts tomorrow.

John

Edited by jRatz

Wow, cannot wait to see one of these built! A very elegant plane :lol:

Good to see the decals are in good order, mine are stuck to the wax paper beyond hope of resurrection!

:blink:

MikeJ

An update.

10_Stranraer_SubAssys_5942S.jpg

Essentially I've focused on the sub-assemblies. I am pleased with the kit molds -- very little flash, almost no seams, very few pin marks, and only one tiny sink mark. It has been easy to clean these parts, and once assembled I had few seam issues.

The alignment pins aren't quite right, especially on the wings, and I found myself lopping them off to get parts to fit together -- no big deal really. Another approach is to drill the holes a bit bigger.

I made one error on the beaching trolley. I thought the two main parts fit poorly and slopped some extra glue on to fill the gap -- in reality, the top could swivel on the bottom. I had to go back & saw/scribe a gap between them. If that's all I do, it'll be fortunate.

So, from here I can paint the fuselage interior, finish that assembly, and add the bottom wings, then do the exterior paint job on all that.

The kit would have me glue the upper wing center section to the struts & the fuselage, then add the upper wing panels & remaining struts. I am concerned about alignment, fill, and strength of that and think I will assemble/finish the upper wing panels and center section as a unit, then mount the whole thing at once.

Of course, I also have to drill the rigging holes, but at least I've been studying the rigging plans, so know what I need to do. I just hate it because I bust a lot of drills.

Moving along & really enjoying this.

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 2 weeks later...

11_Stranraer_Hull_LowerWing_6078S.jpg

A bit behind. As the pix show, the fuselage is assembled. I did find some small sink marks while sanding down the seams, but nothing I think needs to be worked on ...

I have drilled the rigging holes in the lower wings (24 holes each) and the floats (6 holes each). I still have the top wing outer sections (12 in each) and nacelles (6 in each). I think that totals 96 holes for rigging.

So I figure in a few days, I'll have the upper wing & nacelles holes drilled and then assemble the 3 upper wing sections and clean up that. Meanwhile, I can start work on the hull & lower wing paint job ...

I'm thinking about minor scratchbuilding to flesh out cockpit & gun positions -- but obviously not much now that hull is together ...

Oh, yes -- those are Legos -- I keep a bunch of them to make quick jigs & things ...

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 1 month later...

Been a while & just before "the event", I announced a hiatus to rebuild my workshop because my 1500+ book library was a mess -- that message disappeared, but I'll lead off with pix of the new workroom & library -- here are two, the others are in my Spit/Hurr thread ...

Northeast corner, I can see the UPS truck arrive thru the window ...

new_ne_6215.jpg

Southeast corner, computer, spray booth, etc ...

new_se_6210.jpg

OK, that is out of the way.

Progress.

Stranraer: I have built the basic assemblies, primed, filled, sanded, etc and they are now ready for paint. I intend to do a Canadian boat in a four-color countershading scheme -- my primary references are the Mushroom models book and "Jericho Beach & the West Coast Flying Boat Stations". Other than that, the build is pure OOB ... The four-color scheme will take some tricky masking & painting and I'm not looking forward to it ... Other than that, all the rigging holes are drilled, etc ...

14_Stranraer_ReadyToPaint_6244S.jpg

I'm a little behind -- the shelves took longer than planned & I've had some other things get in the way. I think the Strannie will run right up to the deadline because of the paint job & the rigging ...

Great build ... this is lots of fun ... I've found a half-dozen other MB kits but they are already being built, so I don't think I'll add 'em in ...

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 3 weeks later...

Nopix, just a report that the Strannie is in the paint shop -- probably take a week to complete because of 4-color counter-shade scheme.

Next erect the struts & top wing & start rigging ....

Also getting back to all the little detail parts I forgot, like guns, gear, engine, etc ...

John

• 4 weeks later...

Well, tomorrow is the original end of build, I thought I'd give an update, but no pix.

The bird is in the paint shop, but things aren't going well. I'm doing the counter-shade scheme & don't like the colors. Also after more study I've decided my aircraft had alum-paint undersides & not MSG, so it looks like once I get the topsides done (two days), I'll have have to repaint the undersides.

I have done most the little detail stuff, so that is just waiting an aircraft to be tacked onto.

Once I get the paint job in a happy state, it's on to assembly, and then the rigging.

I have a traffic jam on the workbench & am having to work in daily small pieces, but I have a plan in place.

I'm sure glad we have an extension.

John

Edited by jRatz
Do the lower wings have much dihedreal on them? I thought I'd glue the top wing altogether after getting the bottom wing on and using that for a reference.

I did the same as you -- I built the top wing and added the lower wings to the fuselage -- all to make painting easier.

I measured dihedral from the 3-view in the Mushroom Walrus-Stranraer book & built a jig to hold them in place. Unfortunately I cannot find the measurements I used, nor did I keep the jig.

The bottom wing has a bit more than the top but some of that is an illusion because of the slight "gull wing" at the root.

The kit wings fit together pretty well, so it wasn't like I had to force them into place, just hold them till the glue set ...

I'll find out if I'm right in a week or so ...

John

• 2 weeks later...

4-colour scheme is on, undersurface repainted back to aluminum.

Paint touchup over the next few days, then do decals & dullcoat it.

After that, it's verify rigging holes are open & prepare to erect the upper wing, mount the floats & etc, then get down to rigging ...

Pix when it is less ugly ...

John

15_Stranraer_Painted_6796S.jpg

Not a great picture, but the big parts are painted, less the wing walk areas which I have to do. Then it's decals, dullcote, and get ready to erect the wing & start rigging.

Not happy with the 4-color scheme -- I've got Gunze for 2 colors & MisterKit for 2 and I probably should have done a better job of testing & remixing ... oh well ....

Just wanted to show that something was happening ... am still on a pace to complete before 1 April ...

John

Paint is done, until another piece of tape pulls something up ...

Decaling in progress ... the serial numbers 937 were created from the numbers 987 taken from original decal sheet -- note the stickies to remind me which way to face the decals -- took me two tries to get the stickies right ... Other than the seriels, the national ,markings are XtraDecal ... You'll note fin flashes on inner surfaces -- once they dry I'll do the outer ones ...

18_Stranraer_Decaling_6863S.jpg

Next will be dullcote & then erect the wing ...

John

• 2 weeks later...

This was supposed to be a happy post .... but after I got the wing up on the center section struts, I dropped than $%^^*&( thing & busted out a couple struts ... I think I have a slight lean to the right in the wing now but there is nothing I can do about it now ...

19_Stranraer_Erect_Wing_6995S.jpg

19_Stranraer_Erect_Wing_6996S.jpg

Next couple days I'll add rest of struts, see if I can't align a bit better and do some filling around the base of the struts where damage happened -- suspect I'll have to redrill rigging holes ...

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, here it is ...

My efforts to patch after dropping it created some other issues, like stray glue marks, filled rigging holes, etc -- then I broke both floats off. At that point I decided to skip rigging and just get it done ....

Here is the final assembly picture -- great ad for Lego's if nothing else ...

20_Stranraer_FinalAssy_7190S.jpg

and some final pictures - there are more in the formal close-out thread ...

99_Stranraer_Done_LeftUnder_7237.jpg

99_Stranraer_Done_RightRear_7220.jpg

99_Stranraer_Done_RightFront_7227.jpg

99_Stranraer_Done_Front_7228.jpg

I love this aircraft and the kit is really great ... I'll do better next time ...

John

It really isn't very tricky. Probably only place one can go wrong is to not push the struts all the way into the engine nacelles. If you get that right, the rest falls into place.

Even after I dropped it & broke stuff, once I got it back together & let it sit overnite, the upper wing just kind of aligned itself ... or there are some really great elves in my hobby room ...

John