Have you seen Serenity yet?

My son and I saw the movie for the 2nd time last night. Great story, great effects and the crew is as good as ever. River gets to kick but Serenity is just begging to be released as a kit.

We got to go to a Midnight premier on 9/30 with a bunch of Browncoats, Companions, etc and had a pretty good time with a Shindig before the movie.

You know, it's funny. I don't remember Firefly when it was on the air in 2002. When the SciFi channel started showing it recently, I didn't give it much thought. Hey it's on at 7:00 pm, and just before Stargate SG-1, how good could it be?

By chance, a few weeks ago, I turned on the Sci-Fi channel about 7:30. The promos had looked interesting, and I wanted to see what the show was like.

WOW!

I have now become a regular viewer, and can hardly wait to see more episodes. I also want to see the movie while it's still in theatres. Hopefully, I can arrange my very busy schedule to allow for that!

Tom

OK- pretend I just got back from a 10-year trip from Siberia.

WHAT is Solaris? I know it's a movie, but what's the history behind it, a TV show?

I just enjoy a good Sci-Fi movie or show. Can somone give me the baisics here?

Thanks- Toad

OK- pretend I just got  back from a 10-year trip from Siberia.

WHAT is Solaris?  I know it's a movie, but what's the history behind it, a TV show?

I just enjoy a good Sci-Fi movie or show.  Can somone give me the baisics here?

Thanks- Toad

Do you mean Serenity or Solaris?

Serenity is a movie followup to the TV series Firefly, which only lasted one season on Fox before being canceled. You can get a background HERE

Solaris was an artsy, boring Russian sci-fi film based on a novel by Stanislaw Lem, released in 1972. It was remade in 2002 with George Clooney, and somehow became even more boring.

Edited by Dave Williams

Well if you "want to catch more episodes" of Firefly, good luck. They made 14 and only aired 13.. Hey, *I* thought it had great potential, but I think a few "problems" with the show put people off. I could see past them but I don't think others could.

I've not seen Serenity yet. Why? Broke. Yes, I can't even go to the movies, plus I don't think the rest of my family cares for that particular movie (movie-going is a family event for my family)

My Brother (Huge Sci-Fi Fan) came home to visit for the weekend and brought all the copies of the show "FIREFLY" home on disk for me to watch.

I have to say I extremely enjoyed the shows - right mix of action, comedy along with a good story and plot line with interesting characters. (Really love the Engineer Kaylee! :wave: )

Damn shame they canceled the show - I never saw it while it was on the regular TV due to my work schedule. Too damn bad. Was a good show, much better than some of the "TRIPE" (Translated as Reality Shows) they have on regularly.

Most likely will go see the movie SERENITY. If it is good as the shows it will be worth watching. Would like to see this one make a comeback.

Excellent movie!! Seen it twice now and plan on getting it on DVD in the future. I just hope the film has enough legs to justify the planned sequels Joss Whedon wrote. :cheers:

BTW, did you guys now that 'Dark Horse' comics did a three issue 'Senenity' comic which covered the period between the end of the series and the film. Well, you know now! :banana:

BTW, did you guys now that 'Dark Horse' comics did a three issue 'Senenity' comic which covered the period between the end of the series and the film. Well, you know now! :rolleyes:

Yep, my son bought all 9 covers.

Each issue was released with 3 covers, each showing a different member of the crew.

BTW, did you guys now that 'Dark Horse' comics did a three issue 'Senenity' comic which covered the period between the end of the series and the film.  Well, you know now! :redx:

Yep, my son bought all 9 covers.

Each issue was released with 3 covers, each showing a different member of the crew.

So who's featured on the covers?

FINALLY got to see it last night-- great capper for the TV show and it seems to stand on it's own okay. Only had a little head-scratching over the way Whedon handled things in the end, but I can overlook it. Not gonna talk about it in the open because it's a spoiler.

It's great NOT to see goofy aliens in a Sci-Fi show for once!

So who's featured on the covers?

Mal, Zoe, Kaylee, Wash, Jayne, Inara, Book, Simon & River each have thier own cover.

Caught it last Thurs at the only screening of the day, 4pm

right before it got bumped for the Rock playing in Doom...

Liked it a lot. The effect of the ships coming out of the cloud was seen coming a mile away, but still worth it.

I've got the DVD's on the way from Netflix, we'll see how long they stay at the top of the Queue before the Mrs notices...and replaces them with some gawdawful chix flix...

Mike

• 1 month later...

Had to bring this thread back up, as I just saw the DVD, which was released this last Tuesday.

I gotta say, I really like the movie! Many things now make sense to me. I was a little saddened to see what happened to some of the characters (I won't give any spoilers, but if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm refering to!).

The one thing that struck me, was that if you hadn't seen any of the TV shows, there isn't much about this movie that would make sense.

My advise for anyone who might want to see this movie, and hadn't seen any of the "Firefly" episodes, check out the series showing on the Sci-Fi channel to get a handle on all the characters, and their history first. The movie is then well worth seeing!

Edited by tomr
... I just had to buy the DVD the day it was released :rofl: ... probably going to be my favorite movie of this year.

Yep, Me too! With the bonus I should get tomorrow, i plan on buying the whole series on DVD as well!

I was doing a little erading on the Firefly Fan website (fireflyfan.com oddly enough!), and there was some speculation that there may just be another movie in the works. Also some talk about somebody (you reading this, Sci-Fi Channel?) possibly putting the show back into production!!!!!

I disagree about needing to see Firefly to watch Serenity. Granted it helps, but pretty much all the characters are explained as well as they were in the episodes during the film anyway and about the only thing Firefly adds is some of the leading up interplay between the characters before the film (such as Wash's desire to play with plastic dinosaurs on the control panel of Serenity during quiet moments).

As for the DVD, it is just as good as it was in the theater. The extras are cute, including Joss' intro to the film (apparently for a Browncoat test screening). The outtake bits are especially silly, such as Wash handing the controls over to Nathan saying "Here, you think you can do better, then you drive!" and walking off the cockpit with Nathan holding the wheel and stearing while still standing. I only found one easter egg, which is the behind the scenes of the "Fruity Oatie Bars" commercial. It is a bizzare commercial to watch too.

My son also picked it up at Midnight when it was released. We have watched most of the bonus features.

I had told one of the ladies at work about the movie coming out and she went and saw it and then went back and saw it the next day. She has since watched the episodes on DVD and ordered both the series and movie. I also believe that the movie stands on its own. Of course, most of the people who went to see it (several times) were already fans of the series and many had worked to keep the faith which helped Joss pursue the impossible of reviving a failed TV show as a major motion picture.

I have heard lots of info regarding what may happen next including what Joss has said or may have said. If DVD sales are good (currently # 1 on Amazon) there may be as many as 2 more movies. These may be TV movies, released as DVD, etc. The movie did not do well in theatres. Universal had stated if it made $80 million, they would do 2 more movies. All 9 cast members have been signed for sequels (or prequels?) even after the events in the show. Possible release of a new series or Joss stating he wouldn't do it as a series so who knows.

All I can say is go out and get the DVD, get the series, buy several for friends... Let's make it so they have to make something more, no matter the format.