Pictures of my aircraft on Airliners.net

I was looking on Airliners.net and saw a photo taken of me landing in Frankfurt (after an airborne divert) and it was the heaviest landing I'd ever made. We were at 330,000#. We'd had an equipment failure after taking off in Brussels and were over London (which was CAT III) when the decision was made to divert to Frankfurt where they had a part for us. Very long day by the time we got to New York...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=935884

Gotta love the Internet - Thanks Al Gore 
:wave:

So, on a heavy landing like that, is there any adjustments you do besides trying to set it down as gently as possible ? :cheers:

Gregg

From a controller's point of view I'm interested to hear why no fuel dumping took place. Won't such a hard landing stress the aircraft prematurely?

Is fuel dumping something that newer aircraft just don't do?

Just wondering what to expect.

Regards,

Kyrre

ATCO, Norway.

I was looking on Airliners.net and saw a photo taken of me landing in Frankfurt (after an airborne divert) and it was the heaviest landing I'd ever made. We were at 330,000#. We'd had an equipment failure after taking off in Brussels and were over London (which was CAT III) when the decision was made to divert to Frankfurt where they had a part for us. Very long day by the time we got to New York...

http://www.airliners.net/open.file?id=935884

And if you are ever on a layover in AMsterdam... give me a shout and I'll take you to the following:

www.lhshop.nl

Harald

From a controller's point of view I'm interested to hear why no fuel dumping took place. Won't such a hard landing stress the aircraft prematurely?

Is fuel dumping something that newer aircraft just don't do?

Just wondering what to expect.

Regards,

Kyrre

ATCO, Norway.

I was wondering the same. I think that some of the new Airbusses can't dump fuel but I believe this isn't the case with the 767 so why no dumping?

Koen

Thanks for the invites on the layovers guys. We stay in Mainz when we're in Frankfurt and The Hague when were in Amsterdam.

No helicopters or CNN for us thankfully :) We considered dumping fuel, but after talking to maintenance and our dispatcher in Atlanta, we decided a heavyweight landing would be a better choice. There are certain levels of inspection to be made depending on the sink rate, and gross weight. We have maintenance guys in Frankfurt, and they took care of us very quickly.

I used the ILS as a backup (as ususal) for glidepath guidance, and the approach speed was around 153 knots (I think). The runway is very long, and the weather was very nice, so it wasn't really that big a deal. With such a long runway ahead of me, holding the jet off for a smooth touchdown wasn't tough. The biggest problem we had was a passenger in Business Class who had no class at all :blink:

The problem was one of our primary altimeters cr@ped out on us after we got airborne in Brussels. We can't cross the North Atlantic (RVSM altitude spacing of 1,000') with only one altimeter - same reason we couldn't do the CAT III approach in London. In all my years of flying, I've never seen an altimeter go out like that...

Hitch

Edited by GEH737
The problem was one of our primary altimeters cr@ped out on us after we got airborne in Brussels.

Just bad luck. I've never seen that happen in the plane though I did just have it happen this afternoon in the sim. Luckily after I had the captain beat on it with his knuckles it came back up.

Odd that you might ask that. Years ago I was a first officer on Brasilia's for a commuter. We had a problem with the aircraft's air-condition system at the gate (a caution light was on indicating a duct overheat) and as we were at a maintenance base they told us to taxi it to the hangar. The mechanic removed the sensor from the duct, (it was about the size of a pack of cards) held it at shoulder height and dropped it to the concrete floor. He then reinstalled it and tested the system: it was now working fine. He explained that for that sensor the "five foot drop test" was a common corrective procedure. Was it in the manual? I doubt it but we didn't have anymore problems with it. Sometimes you just have to show the part who's boss. And sometimes it shows you who's boss.

we had a problem with a system that was impossible to reset.after 15 min in the refrigerator everything was fine. <_< that is airbus reset reset reset.By the way those maintenance guys in brussels suck.i know because i'am one of them :angry:

by the way with a airbus 330 it is an option and with the 340 it is always installed.dumping system i mean.

did they do an overweight landing inspection?

Actually the Captain cut his hand trying to smack the altimeter into submission... The altimeter was victorious :bobby:

A few years ago when I was Captain on the 737, my First Officer had an inoperative instrument (can't remember which). The mechanic came out and whacked the center pedastal with a hammer... The instrument started working :blink: Sometimes ya just gotta know where to whack it...

Hitch