Where Eagles Dare Ju-52 question

I read on a Where Eagles Dare site That The plane used was borrowed from the Austrian air force for the movie.Was it a Ju-52 3M?Was the camo flat white and Swartz green or Dunkelgun?I know the Germans must have used a winter camo on the Ju-52.Are there any good web photo sites?Thanks.

The "3M' meant 3 motors, so technically, the Ju52 everyone thinks of is the Ju52/3m. For the record, the first Ju52s were single engined, but only a very few were built before production swapped to the improved 3-engined version we all know and love. Specific variants were designated with numbers and letters after the 3m, such as the Ju52/3mg6e.

I suspect you're right that it was borrowed from the Austrian AF - some of these aircraft went on a good while. I remember walking through London one day in about 1994 or 1995, looking up at an unusual noise, and there was a "Tante Ju" heading Southeast over the River. I think it was the one preserved by Lufthansa - anyone know if there are any others around still?

I read on a Where Eagles Dare site That The plane used was borrowed from the Austrian air force for the movie.Was it a Ju-52 3M?Was the camo flat white and Swartz green or Dunkelgun?I know the Germans must have used a winter camo on the Ju-52.Are there any good web photo sites?Thanks.

Austria never operated the Tante Ju. But the Swiss Flugwaffe in fact did. If my memories serve me well 5 or 6 aircraft flew until the early 80's. Thereafter in a commercial airtourist role.

Yes there are several in museum's and some airworthy. 3 or 4 was salvaged from Norway 20 years ago in pretty good shape and with a dramatic background.

I think the painting in the film was purly fictious, but some white was involved.

Edited by Capricorn

Austria never operated the Tante Ju. But the Swiss Flugwaffe in fact did. If my memories serve me well 5 or 6 aircraft flew until the early 80's. Thereafter in a commercial airtourist role.

Yes there are several in museum's and some airworthy. 3 or 4 was salvaged from Norway 20 years ago in pretty good shape and with a dramatic background.

I think the painting in the film was purly fictious, but some white was involved.

It was indeed a Swiss aircraft used for parachute training until the early '80's..

For the film it was coded CN+4V

After filming it was repainted in Swiss markings but kept the camo scheme and was coded A-702.

I belive its still flying with Ju-Air..

I can't find any images online apart from this di-cast model,i think your best bet would be to check out your local video/dvd rental store and freeze it to gather info.

kat_2_no_2_b.jpg

kat_2_no_3_b.jpg

kat_2_no_4_b.jpg

Here are a couple of stills from the film. A previous serial can clearly be seen under the pseudo-Luftwaffe markings, the pics also show a '9' on the tail and the style of codes which differ from the die-cast model that Mungo posted.

Ju52WED.jpg

Ju52WED_03.jpg

Ju52WED_02.jpg

Migrant Thanks for the pics.Was the underside still RLM65 with the upper camo?

IIRC, the underside was white.

Also, I recall something about that particular aircraft having non-standard wheels . . . C-47/DC-3 or something like that.

I did the artwork for the decals in 1/72 scale for this aircraft (just the serials, uniquely-proportioned fuselage crosses, swastikas, tail numbers and the white '702' that's just visible under the paintwork). If anyone's interested I can print an ALPS-set; I use super-thin decal film so they'll settle nicely over the corrugations. Please e-mail me directly.

Migrant How about a set in 1/48 scale? I would be interested in a set.After the pictures you posted I want to build another one.I am currently working on one in Rlm 70 Rlm 71 and Rlm 65 camo with yellow bands on cowls rudder and underwings tips.

Migrant How about a set in 1/48 scale? I would be interested in a set.After the pictures you posted I want to build another one.I am currently working on one in Rlm 70 Rlm 71 and Rlm 65 camo with yellow bands on cowls rudder and underwings tips.

Sure, wouldn't be a problem. Unfortunately I can't tell what markings are on the uppers/undersides of wings. Any ideas?

For the record, the first Ju52s were single engined, but only a very few were built before production swapped to the improved 3-engined version

Seems to me that a museum in Canada has back-dated their Ju-52 to be one of the early single-engined variants. I remember seeing pics of it in a book once.