I'm just about done with my thud, and I had a few questions.

First, If I want to load an outboard pylon with an ECM pod, what side would it be on? I've heard references that they were both left and right outboards at the same time. Is this correct? Also, if one just one side, would the opposite pylon be empty, or could I load it with some iron?

Secondly, I want to keep the gun bay open, but I was wondering if the bay doors had some sort of hinge (to the top or bottom of the bay)? or were they simply removed?

Thanks! Im excited to finally get this beast done :)

Matt

Matt,

Either side work for the ALQ pod. The most common was on the right. Murph is right about the AIM-9B, if it was early. Later they gave up on the AIM-9's. It all depends on timeframe you're after. If late, an AGM-45 (Shrike) is good, as they fired for the weasels on ocassion. The weasel locked it and the D fired the missle.

Hope this helps,

Jarrod Cunningham

Austin, Texas

:cheers:

Matt,

Since that was during the time of the bombing halt of North Vietnam, it would probably not have carried either the AIM-9 or ECM pod. Instead more ordnance was loaded on those pylons for missions in South Vietnam.

Regards,

Murph

Check out Squadron Signal F-105 In action book - there's a pic of an AIM-9B on the starboard pylon of one 105. Also seen quite a few pics 105s carrying ECM pods on both outboard pylons. I've just finished the Trumpeter kit and put an AIM-9B on the pylon to add a bit of interest - I used the decals for Jack Broughton's bird - I read his book once upon a time but can't remember if he ever carried Sidewinders on any of his missions.

Hitch,

Let me check. As Impala mentioned I'm pretty sure the Squadron books (In Action, ... And Kill MiGs) have them. I can also check Koku Fan, Wings of fame, and Detail and Scale. I know I've seen them somewhere, and I've definitely read of them carrying them; I believe one or two of their kills used just the AIM-9 or a heater and the gun.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

ECM pods could be carried on either outboard F-105 wing station, but were most commonly seen on the right one. It appears that, in general, they were only carried on missions planned to penetrate North Vietnam, with the outboards being left free to carry additional ordnance for missions in Laos.

Operation Rolling Thunder, as the bombing of North Vietnam (NVN) was called began 2 Mar 65. The first use of ECM pods by F-105s was on 8 Oct 66 when the 355th TFW from Takhli used QRC-160-1 pods. Production variants of these pods were called AN/ALQ-71(V)-1 and became available in Dec 66. These pods were normally RAT powered (with little propellers on the nose of the pod).

By mid-Dec 66, four ship formations "heading North" had wingmen configured with two AN/ALQ-71 pods, with lead and three configured with a single pod each. This allowed them to carry AIM-9Bs on the opposite wing (on AERO 3B launchers). It's worth noting that all F-105 AIM-9 kills occured between 19 May and 3 Jun 67. Also, to change from being prepared to drop bombs (how they normally entered NVN) to being ready to fire an AIM-9 required changing FIVE switch positions!

During the last quarter of 1967, the switch was made to using aircraft power for the pods, with smooth nose fairings replacing the RAT propellers.

Beginning in Dec 67, the AIM-9s were gone and all aircraft were configured with two ECM pods for missions into NVN. One of these pods was "normal" and the other was a "special", with the latter set to jam SA-2 guidance signals.

The QRC-160-8, later becoming better known as the AN/ALQ-87(V)-2, first appeared in SEA on 8th TFW F-4Cs from Ubon in Jul 67. It is unclear exactly when they began showing up on F-105s, but by the time tail codes began being applied during 1968, the AN/ALQ-87 appears to have been the pod of choice for Thuds. The AN/ALQ-71s lived on as "special" pods for the remainder of the war.

Rolling Thunder ended on 30 Oct 68. F-105D operations by the 388th TFW at Korat (J codes) ended by 10 Oct 69. F-105D operations by the 355th TFW at Takhli (R codes) closed down by 10 Dec 70. Full scale bombing operations against NVN didn't begin again until 10 May 72 with Operation Linebacker. It is worth noting how most of the bombing campaign against NVN by F-105s occurred before tail codes were applied!

What you get in most kits are AN/ALQ-87s (Tamiya 1/32 F-4s, Monogram F-4s in 1/48 & 1/72--I have no idea what the useless blobs in the Trumpeter kit are supposed to represent). Cutting Edge does AN/ALQ-71s in 1/32 with multiple antenna and nose/tail fairing options.