"Memories of Flight School"

Jennyunpub29.jpg

Your suggestions please! the 3 workshop windows facing inside the hangar are 1 piece of plexiglass.I was wondering if I should leave it this way or divide them up into sections.If I divide them, I think that 6 panes per window would look best, but I am worried about obstructing the view into the workshop.Should I just leave them as they are now?

Cheers! John

My stuff:

http://www.wwi-models.org/Images/Reid/index.html

Edited by JohnReid
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey, I just stumbled into this thread, and I am amazed! Looks SUPERB!

As far as your windows, they'd be best shown as panes, as windows were not easy to make in large sheets "back in the day," and on top of that, I'd recommend wavy glass and a SMALL bubble in a couple of panes. As I understand it, the glass was made by running the hot glass across a vat of lead or mercury (the glass was less dense, so it would float), and the glass would end up a little wavy. With inconsistencies in speed as it flowed, it ended up with a lot of neat imperfections like bubbles and pits. I had a house in Minnesota that was built in 1931, and it had glass like that - a lot of character, and I think it would make for some neat details, rather than obscuring them.

EDIT: By the way, your work looks SO thorough and SO fine, I'll Bet Martha Stewart would be jealous! Wow, I am a MODELER - YOU, sir, are an ARTIST!

Edited by ReiShikiSenGuy

Well thank you for your kind words.I finally decided to go with the plexiglass as it has those distortions and imperfections that you mentioned which does make the whole thing more authentic looking.The windows will be removable until after I have taken pictures and then I will glue them in permanently.If you would like to follow this build which is now about 2/3rds complete take a look at the dioramas section of this website.Cheers! John. :soapbox:

• 2 weeks later...