1/48 Hasegawa CF-104 Modelling Question...

My local hobby store said to me that the CF-104 "Canadian Air Force" is sold out. Which 1/48 F-104 should I use? Hase makes another one - the civilian demonstration team. Does it have the wingtip tanks?

I know there are tons of 104G's out there, but I heard that they don't have the same gear doors as Canadian CF-104's.

Thanks in advance :worship:

The wing tanks, interesting question......dont know. I've just used the basic J F-104 with Belcher bits (or self made) warning receivers. Dont know if the fancy civi one would have those either. :worship:

It's not like I need the decals for the CF-104 kit, I picked up the Gomb's Modelfest 2004 set from Uncle Rick Chin in Calgary. Doesn't seem like a lot of guys have built the civilian canadian 104.

Make sure you get a kit with the right ejection seat and the right wheels.

I got the CF-104 "Starfighters" kit, with the blue civilian scheme and it has all the right stuff, including wing tanks.

I've also heard that the F-104J kit has all the right stuff for a Canadian -104 as well.

The F-104G had bigger (wider) wheels than earlier models (including the F-104J). Thus the wheel well doors got bulges to make room for the wheels. The CF-104 had the narrow wheels, and doors without bulges. So if you cannot get hold of a CF-104 kit you can use a F-104J.

The bulges on the Hasegawa F-104G kit doors are not very good, however. They're too square and too pronounced. The doors in Cutting Edge's detail set are much better. It has also the RWR antennas for the CF-104 (http://www.meteorprod.com/Artwork/CEC48266.jpg).

Nils

Thanks for the education lesson guys! We had the F-104G here in Holland for many, many years and I have also seen quite a number Of CF-104's overhere, but I never had noticed any difference in wheelsizes and landingbaydoors.

Sietse

Edited by Sietse
Did Canadian 104's have guns? I saw a build on the net and the guy says that a 104j is good and that the gun must be deleted. <_<

Depends on the time frame.

As delivered, the CF-104 did not have the gun installed and the gun fairing was filled over. Their role at the time was nuclear strike and it was a one way, all or nothing type of mission. When the nuclear role was relinquished, the CF-104 switched to a ground attack role and the gun was installed. Simple rule of thumg is that if you're looking at a picture of a CF-104 and it's green, camo'd or has "Armed Forces" titles either side of the roundel, it's got a gun.

HTH,