British Airways paint question

Folks

Earlier this year I bought the Revell Airbus A319 (British Airways) kit for my nephew to build and for some reason it made me fancy doing an Airliner kit so I've now got the Revell BA 747-400 kit for myself. What I would like to know is if I can safely use both Xtracolor BA paints on both kits or did BA change the colours between aircraft?

TIA

Pete ;)

Pete,

Assumimg that you're using the decals that came with the Revell B747-400 kit, then the answer is no, and that's not just for the blue.

The B747-400 kit decal is for the previous "Landor" scheme, with a pale grey top and dark blue bottom. Xtracolor paints for these colours are:

X304 British Airways Pearl Grey

X023 RAF Oxford Blue

Personally, I think that the Pearl Grey is too dark and I lighten it a little.

Roy :thumbsup:

Pete,

Assumimg that you're using the decals that came with the Revell B747-400 kit, then the answer is no, and that's not just for the blue.

The B747-400 kit decal is for the previous "Landor" scheme, with a pale grey top and dark blue bottom. Xtracolor paints for these colours are:

X304 British Airways Pearl Grey

X023 RAF Oxford Blue

Personally, I think that the Pearl Grey is too dark and I lighten it a little.

Roy <_<

I thought that too when I did a Landor 757. I felt X304 was too dark as well. I left it and now which I had not.

:cop:

Oh, well.

You shouldn't need to alter the Xtracolor shades. David Hannant personally helps in researching those colors and has access to a lot of the actual color chips. Considering that BA is practically in his back yard, the BA shades offered should be spot on. Only reason they might look dark would be scale effect.

You shouldn't need to alter the Xtracolor shades. David Hannant personally helps in researching those colors and has access to a lot of the actual color chips. Considering that BA is practically in his back yard, the BA shades offered should be spot on. Only reason they might look dark would be scale effect.

Hey Jay, come on, you know me. :cheers:

Trust me, X304 Pearl Grey is too dark - at least the ones I have are.

So, unless they changed the mix, it's too dark.

However, I have tins from two batches of X322 (the current "World scheme" lighter blue). The first batch was off (too dark and a bit purpley). The other (newer batch) is spot on. I recall being in Hannants' shop in London and spotted the newer X322. Without even having an old tin on me to compare it with, I knew straight away that it was different, and correct. But David insists it was never knowingly changed.

Just my observations.

Roy