RAF Mildenhall & Lakenheath

Went to Mildenhall today WB-57 hunting, and we got it. Unfortunately though, they were on the wrong runway for the WB. It was better for everything else, but the WB climbs like a rocket and lands in next to no distance! Thought we'd got lucky when we heard the tower direct him to the large concrete pan at the 11 end, but he went to the far side of the runway before turning around and backtracking. A quick dash to get him going into his hanger resulted in us being seconds too late - still got him, but pics are nothing special. B)

Still - at least I've seen it, and got some proof!

After the waiting for the WB, we thought we'd chance LN for the remainder of the day. It'd been dead all morning with only 2 launches (for the Mildy airshow!), but there were about 12 launches after lunch. We headed over there in the hope of catching the last arrival or two - we ended up with 2 hours of non stop action! God, I love that place! :thumbsup: :D ;)

Suffolk001.jpg

Suffolk002.jpg

Suffolk003.jpg

Suffolk004.jpg

Suffolk005.jpg

Suffolk006.jpg

Suffolk007.jpg

Great pics - anyone know what the bump on the rear fuselage on that first C-130 is? It doesn't appear on the Herc from North Carolina in the next pic.

Strange one that, looking at some of the other pannels on this bird it looks like some work has been done on it.

Julien

Great pics - anyone know what the bump on the rear fuselage on that first C-130 is? It doesn't appear on the Herc from North Carolina in the next pic.

I seem to remember seeing something similar in an article a year or so ago back when there was all that media coverage about adding ECM suites to airliners...maybe related to anti-man-portable-SAM defenses?

It also appears that they both have what look to me to be chaff/flare dispenser housings under the nose under the front cabin door on both of those 130s too.

Nice pics,

Curtis

Hmmm, got the serial number for that Arkansas C-130? (the one with the bump), I'd like to cross-check and see if it was there for THEIR airshow a couple weeks back....

It also has two lumps above the cockpit (can just see one of them in the pic I posted).

Edited by LN Strike Eagle