Jax mayor gives up on Cecil Field

Well, I'd say they can have their million-dollar homes, Macy's, Saks 5th Avenue, $40 million equestrian center, golf courses, $30,000 per acre land, AND HURRICANE WILMA TOO!! (How come we don't have a little smiley icon that's flippin' the bird????) :cheers:

Good to see the local community supporting the defense of the Homeland (as long as the planes are flying out of somebody else's neighborhood!!!) :thumbsup:

No one wants a master jet base nearby, but then they complain "why weren't fighters closer to New York and Washington?"

And in typical Floridian fashion, they'll clear cut every tree for 50 square miles around their new developments, then complain about the brutal sun and build covers over their pools for "shade."

Where does Jacksonville get it's revenue from; I know it's not a tourist destination. Is it a port city?

I have a support our troops magnet. But I also have veterens plates.

Been there done that, had to hand the shirt in when I retired.

Phantom CD Sgt (ret) :D

Yeah, but you don't call putting a magnet on your car "enough" as far as supporting the troops goes. I'd say your service trumps any car decoration...

Jax prides itself on being a "Navy town"...guess as long a it's not inconvenient. I live nearby...didn't know there were that many million dollar homes especially around Cecil.

What I really hate is situations like what happened at Oceana, where the base was there for decades before many of the homes. The idiots insist on being able to build homes next door, then complain about the noise.

People....the main reason I like dogs...

-Mike

I would have been outraged as a tax payer of this country if they would have moved from NAS Oceana to NAS Cecil Field. After finding out that there were already close to 1,000 homes in the danger zone around Cecil Field with more on the way, they should have called a halt to the entire idea. I prefer my tax dollars to go to find/create solutions to problems, not run from one problem straight into another.

Oh and CCAJN can kiss my jet noise loving <_< It's a shame theres always 100 or so idiots to kick and scream about anything that annoys them. Next thing you know they will complain that the ships at Norfolk Naval Station ruin the view of the Elizabeth River or that they're getting radiation from nuclear powered ships.

- Chris

These are probably some of the same people who slap a "Support Our Troops" magnet on their vehicle, claiming to be doing their part.  :angry:

The fickle nature of our society really bugs me, but it is nothing new.

-Mike

I hear you Mike. I see that kind of crap every day where I work on post.

And here's an example. I'm the asst director to a rec. center facility that is restricted to Active duty, guard and reserve personnel. I am constantly bombarded every day with questions from DoD civilians as to "why can't we use your game room, we have an MWR membership?"

After I or my boss politely go through the task of explaining to them that the facility is for military only because the soldiers we have on post are still in training and it's the Army regs concerning IET soldier socialization and fraternization which prohibits them from using the facility, they still question.

And usually at this time they start to whine, and I start to get ****** at this point and say "The main reason is, you don't desrve it. Until you pick up a weapon and stand a post, or are willing to die for your country, then you can utilize the game room".

Stops 'em dead in their tracks every time. Do I get repimanded for saying that? Every time, and it's worth it to me, and the soldiers appreciate it.

Brian Marbrey

(Who does't have one of those stupid magnets on his car, and actually does support the military)

Edited by VF-103guy
What I really hate is situations like what happened at Oceana, where the base was there for decades before many of the homes. The idiots insist on being able to build homes next door, then complain about the noise.

Yes,

just recently a friend of mine moved near to an airfield and complained about the noise, why did they build an airfield near the houses he asked?

I then pointed out the airfield was built in 1941 and his house in 1989!!!

Doh!

If you dont like aircraft noise, DONT MOVE NEAR AN AIRFIELD!!!

Julien

Frickin' hell...CCAJN can kiss my butt...If I lived there and had a sizeable enough property, I'd welcome the jets flying over head. I'd be crankin' out my camera and takin' shots to my heart's content.

Stupid candy-@$$ed NIMBY's. (NIMBY - Not In My Back Yard-pukes)

Edited by The_Animal
Frickin' hell...CCAJN can kiss my butt...If I lived there and had a sizeable enough property, I'd welcome the jets flying over head. I'd be crankin' out my camera and takin' shots to my heart's content.

Stupid candy-@$$ed NIMBY's. (NIMBY - Not In My Back Yard-pukes)

Contrast this to the farmer who has land beneath one of the low level routes in Washington - he went and painted "FLY NAVY" on the roof of his barn.

Unfortunately, I think by now his livestock must be deaf... :thumbsup:

This doesn't save NAS Oceana yet. The BRAC has advised the Department of the Navy and Virginia Beach that unless about a 3500 various homes and business are demolished and the flight paths are cleared then the base will not recieve the Super Hornets and instead they may go to Merdian, MS. On top of that they have threatened to remove baby Hornets and move them as well down to Merdian, MS.

BRAC is probably the most hilarious commissions and embarressing form of American politics in Washington today.

First off, you have people who testify infront of BRAC who just tell half truths and lies without consequence. BRAC just sits there and listens and obviously doesn't do any research of it's own to investigate what is being testified upon. You can't tell me that no one in Florida knew that they were building in the area's around Cecil Field or that they were no longer building to the Navy's noise zoning code. Especially the Jacksonville mayor, doesn't he stay ontop of his city's developements?

Second, you have a commission that tells the City of Virignia Beach to condemn homes that are under the Oceana flight path. Well two problems, biggest being that the City of Virginia Beach can not condemn houses, that's the job of the Commonwealth of Virginia. Also, a lot of the 1970's era homes built around Oceana were not in any danger until the APZ-1 (Accident Prone Zone - 1) was revised in 1998 for the F/A-18's brought in from Cecil Field. So your going to tell people, oh we moved this new plane here a few years ago so we'll need to tear down your house that was here 20 - 30 years before hand.

It just makes me wonder, how many bases did they shut down or re-align on bad information? I'm waiting for BRAC to re-open Rosewell because some Senator or Mayor told them a story about UFO's and alien abductions.

But I digress <_<

- Chris

I wholeheartedly agree...people are stupid, generally speaking. There was a case where I grew up (Middletown, OH, north of Cincinnati and south of Dayton), and there were a lot of homes near railroad tracks. In the late 1980's or early 1990's, the Federal Dep't of Transportation mandated the use of whistles for trains passing through cities, towns, etc. The people in these neighborhoods complained to the city, who then tried to enact a law banning the use of whistles in city limits.

Ah, I digress. For the Cincinnati/NKY international airport (CVG), there are new homes, new subdivisions, near the flight paths, and the people have the nerve to complain about the noise.

I only WISH I could hear jet noise so often.