Interesting story, that this photo reminds me of.

Back in 1978 during the Friday of the Abbotsford Airshow a cloudy and showery day at that. I saw from my home which was near the Abbotsford airport way back then the RAF Vulcan do its great and thunderous show. I and to this date many others will state they saw the crew roll the Vulcan. I swear to God that was what I saw. Some say it was a myth and an optical illusion but for years every once in a while when talk of the Vulcan's days at Abbotsford come up (usually during the current air show) talk of that event comes up. Maybe it was not as myself and numerous others saw it, maybe it was, but I remember noting back then that it looked way cool.

Anyhoo, the B-1 pic brought back that memory for me.

We had a B-1B pilot do a talk at the museum. To quote, "the biggest problem with B-1B is that you can't stop smiling for a week after you fly it." :D

If you could roll a Heyford, you sure could roll a Vulcan.

Some say it was a myth and  an optical illusion but for years  every once in a while when talk of the Vulcan's  days at  Abbotsford  come up  (usually during the current air show)  talk  of that  event comes up.

Nope it wasn't a myth. Even when I went during the last year that the Vulcan came to Abbotsford, that pilot rolled the Vulcan. That was a sight to see. :thumbsup:

Edited by The_Animal
  Some say it was a myth and  an optical illusion but for years  every once in a while when talk of the Vulcan's  days at  Abbotsford  come up  (usually during the current air show)  talk  of that  event comes up.

Nope it wasn't a myth. Even when I went during the last year that the Vulcan came to Abbotsford, that pilot rolled the Vulcan. That was a sight to see. :D

I agree, but the stories of denile were at one time spoken. I was sure my eyes never failed me on that one. I don't remember that last year you speak of, but I would not doubt it. :cheers:

I was chatting to one of the guys behind the restoration of XH558 to flight status, and he said that the pilot designate fully intends to do a roll, even though he's been forbidden from doing it by the rest of the board :cheers: At Duxford last week Denis Parker of Vulcan to the Sky was telling me that they're going to be flight testing her by the end of 2006, with a view to returning to the airshow circuit early in 2007.

Can't wait :D

GAWD I would hope Abbotsford then tries to get it out here. But I doubt it would happen. The Vulcan for many years was one of the hi-lites of the Abbotsford Air show.

The pic at the beginning of this thread was shot from an F-106B B-1 Chase plane by SSgt. (at the time) Michael James Haggerty. Mike Haggerty was one of the best aerial photographers in the USAF and photos of the B-1s from this flight and others were splashed all over the place at the time. I'm still in awe when I see some of these shots.

RIP Mike Haggerty

Cheers,