PK-11 Hurricane IIC and PK-2 Spitfire IX

Just got the subject aircraft from Rare-Planes.

Since we already have a PK-2 Spitfire in the build, I'll focus on the Hurricane.

Spitfire kit pix:

01_MbxPk02_Spitfire_Kit_6093S.jpg

Hurricane kit pix:

01_MbxPk11_Hurricane_Kit1_6100S.jpg

01_MbxPk11_Hurricane_Kit2_6106S.jpg

Note the bonus with the Hurricane -- the plastic stand -- cool !!

Think I'll do the Hurricane as LK-A, intruder -- unsure about the Spit yet ...

Will start later, am working Stranraer wings right now ...

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 1 month later...

I took a hiatus to rebuild my workshop because my 1500+ book library was a mess -- so I'm going to lead off with pix of the new workroom & library .... Here are two pix, the others are in my Strannie thread ...

Southwest corner, books & the stash in the closet & other places ...

new_sw_6214.jpg

Northwest corner, more books .... wifey sometimes appears in the doorway ...

new_nw_6220.jpg

OK, that is out of the way.

Progress.

Spitfire & Hurricane: These will be built pure OOB to include markings. The Spitfire will be a day fighter & the Hurricane a night intruder. Both are built, filled, sanded, and primed -- ready to start the paint jobs. Neither fit together well, so I did a lot of filling. I lightly sanded down the raised panel lines of the Spitfire & tried to fill some of the trenches on the Hurricane. Hurricane tail planes fit is sloppy so you have to hold 'em in place while glue dries to ensure good alignment.

10_Hurr_Spit_ReadyToPaint_6235S.jpg

I'm a little behind -- I think the Hurricane & Spitfire will be done by New Year's.

John

Edited by jRatz

Aaarrrggghhh !!!!

In a rush, getting ready for offspring to show & drink all our beer & eat all our food ... (well. I'll help -- beer & cookies, yea !!) ...

Really barfed up underside paint job on my Hurricane !!!! Not sure what was in the spray, but it's ugly ...

So everyone enjoy your holidays ... I'll be salvaging my model ....

John

• 2 weeks later...

No pix, just a report.

Both are in the paint shop.

Hurricane took a small beating (see prev post) & underside is pretty rough. I have successfully used Krylon Auto Primer as primer on models many times, but the black primer on the underside of the Hurricane ate some plastic -- guess Krylon doesn't go well with Matchbox ...

Both have underside paint done & Ocean Grey on top. That exposed a few seams issues that I need to fix ... But no problem, they should be done soon ...

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 2 weeks later...

Well, just to show I'm still working ...

11_Hurr_Spit_FinalAssy_6549S.jpg

Both aircraft have the basic paint job, using Tamiya rattle-can. I'm not happy with the pattern on the Spitfire wings & may try to fix it.

Have all the other parts laid out & being painted, etc.

The Spitfire tailwheel made a valiant attempt to get away and stayed hidden for over 30 minutes -- it made it to the window sill and was hiding behind the blinds !!

I think I'll be using A/M decals -- I'll do the kit schemes, just with A/M decals. The Hurricane decals aren't too bad, but the code letters and and size on the Spitfire seem to be really off.

John

Edited by jRatz
  • 3 weeks later...

well, since tomorrow is the original end of build, I thought I'd give a little status -- no pix.

Both aircraft are painted, decals are on.

A few days of paint touchup, flat overspray, and tack on the little parts -- ought to be done bty the weekend. But I've said that before -- I have a traffic jam on my workbench it seems ...

John

OK, all done ...

Here are a few pix, not in the official build thread.

Built OOB, except I replaced kit decals with Xtra-Decal -- same markings as the kit, just different decals. Primary reason was the kit Spitfire decals just didn't match the Sky'S' paint I had. I used Xtra-Decals & am not happy. The national insignia went on fine, the serials & codes were a pain & show major film.

The Spitfire canopy looks squashed down, as does the Hurricane, kinda. Then again, I had more than enough of my own construction problems, caused mostly by myself.

99_Hurr_Done_6678S.jpg

99_Hurr_Done_6659S.jpg

99_Hurr_Done_6660S.jpg

99_Spit_Done_6663S.jpg

99_Spit_Done_6670S.jpg

99_Spit_Done_6673S.jpg

Now back to the Strannie, and oh-yeah, now the Lysander ...

John

Edited by jRatz