A new helicopter of the USAF

Just noticed this on AFLINK. [TH-1H

The caption says it's a new USAF helicopter. IMO, I'm not sure any model of the Huey could be called..."new." Am I mistaken here or do you all know something I've missed on this subject?

Cheers,

CACTUS

Edited by CACTUS
There are newer Bell models that resemble the Huey appearance...

Right. But I'm not aware of any orders by the USAF of the newer Bells or the upgraded UH-1Y. Plus the photo shows a two bladed rotor (the Y model has 4 blades)

CACTUS

UH-1Y is a different helo then the HUEY II, the HUEY II is currently an entry in the Army's LUH program. The HUEY II is basically a rebuilt UH-1H with a UH-1N nose and I'm sure some other difference's. You can check them both out at Bell Helicopter's website(I'm at work right now and dob't have access to the web address. I would nned a better picture then the one posted to id it.

Edited by grandadjohn

The photographer just provided some additional info to me. The tail rotor has been moved to the other side of the tail to give more petal authority and, like has already been mentioned, the engine and transmission are upgraded along with a glass cockpit. And the aircraft has a UN-1N nose. I still don't see how the USAF can be calling it a 'new' aircraft. Seems more like the term 'upgraded' aircraft would be more appropriate.

CACTUS

Semantics. It's a brand new variant of the UH-1 and they've never flown it before. I'd personally call it either an upgrade or a new model of an existing aircraft, but PA folks work on a different wavelength from the rest of us so who knows how they'll phrase something.

Almost sounds like a HUEY II to me, will check more when I get home. Seeing how the AH-1 was lumped into the UH-1 class as a veriant at first, they have gone through all letters they can use from A to Z. Reclassifing it as a TH-1H(T for trainer) maybe the only way the can put it into this classifacation

Edited by grandadjohn

TH-1 is a result of the army giving up its UH-1's . The deal was the Army trained USAF pilots. But since the Army is giving up its huey's, the Air force is taking some, giving them a glass cockpit, upgrades, ect. Still the Same huey, just a different name.

Well as a Huey fan, I am just glad that the old...errrrr....new girl will still be around for some time to come :thumbsup: .

Regards,

Don :cheers:

Took a closer look at the photo, believe it's a HUEY II, Army hasn't totally given up all it's HUEY's some are still in service both active and reserve(including the National Guard) and may be back if Bell gets the LUH contract

Took a closer look at the photo, believe it's a HUEY II, Army hasn't totally given up all it's HUEY's some are still in service both active and reserve(including the National Guard) and may be back if Bell gets the LUH contract

No, the National Guard and limited Army units still have them (for now), but it has somthing to do with who pays to train what pilots on whos airframes. The Th-1 was here at robins afb like 2 weeks ago. gotta look at it. pretty impresive. (not the huey's I work/flown on) :rofl: