How to keep super glues fresh

I found out the hard way that storing them doesn't work for me. I kept having to buy more because it would clog up the opening and harden. I finally bought the kind that you can brush on (comes with the brush attached to the cap) that obviously doesn't clog up for less than $1.00 for two at Target. I'm sure you can find them anywhere, but they work a treat if that helps. Sorry, I can't tell you how to store it in the squeeze bottle. Never worked for me.

Aaron

I had a large bottle of thick superglue go bad on me, but I had had it for 3 years or so. It got super-gummy and wouldn't flow anymore. I just threw it away and bought some more. I figure one bottle every three years is not too bad.

Never had a problem with the thin stuff. But then again I get small bottles of it and I go through it quicker.

Best advice I can give is to leave the cap off. It's the main reason why nozzles clog, which tends to lead to flecks and globs of cured CA falling into the bottle, which kicks off the rest of the glue, turning it gummy.

Just leave the cap off and your glue will be fine. If the tip does clog up, cut it off just behind the blockage (rather than using a pin or wire to push through the blockage) and keep using as normal.

I don't think I'd ever use more than half a bottle before it went bad, back when I capped mine. Haven't had a bottle go off since I stopped.

Best advice I can give is to leave the cap off. It's the main reason why nozzles clog, which tends to lead to flecks and globs of cured CA falling into the bottle, which kicks off the rest of the glue, turning it gummy.

Just leave the cap off and your glue will be fine. If the tip does clog up, cut it off just behind the blockage (rather than using a pin or wire to push through the blockage) and keep using as normal.

I don't think I'd ever use more than half a bottle before it went bad, back when I capped mine. Haven't had a bottle go off since I stopped.

Exactly what I do. Just leave it opened. It doesnt clog half as much, and if it does, it takes along time before it does.

But I'd just leave it open, I do with all mine, Ive got about 4 different types.

New bottles stored in a cool place, whilst the ones I am using are left open.

I use the Zap glues, which come with the plastic extensions. If and when they clog up, take off the extension and clean up, and replace. If they get too raggy at the tip I clip it back some.

HTH

Superglue.jpg

Edited by Andy Mullen

I use Zap glue that comes in bottle too. One helpful trick I learned from folks at local hobby shop is:

first tap the bottle after applying superglue to allow majority of the glue flow back to bottle, then squeeze the bottle to squeeze some air out to clear the opening, then cap it tight.

It is really helpful and I have never have problem with clogging, drying out any more.