Beginner Books

Hi there. I posted a thread last week before the hacker struck. I've had to re-register as the site didn't recognise me post hacker. Can anyone recommend any books for a beginner like me as i wish to get some realisim into my models, cheers.

itgwilly. :woot.gif:

Kalmbach (the publishers of Fine Scale Modeller) do a number of books, most of which are taken from articles in the magazine, and all of which are excellent. Well worth looking into. Several of their older (and better, IMO) books are now out of print, so it may be worth checking out your local library to see if they have any copies.

As MoFo said, Kalmbach is one of the best publishers of instructional books for this hobby. Another book to obtain although it can be a little pricey is the Applied Modeling Encyclopedia from Squadron/Signal publications. There's another good book, but the name escapes me right now. I'll try and think of it...and post it up for you.

Edited by The_Animal

Welcome aboard Itgwilly. Have you been to the ARC tools and tips section yet? There is a huge amount of info there,probably more than any book has. Go to the main page, in the top banner, click on "tools and tips". If you can`t find the answer there, posting a question in the appropriate forum will usually get many answers or suggestions. There are all levels of modellers aboard, from beginners to Master modellers, all helpful(going by my own experiences) so your questions should be well covered. :wave:

:blink: Don

Another you might want to consider is the oddly titled

Applied Modelling Encyclopaedia Aircraft

published by Euro Modelismo/Squadron/Signal.

Mines in paperback

review on HS here

As Brett states the finished models are of the highest standard, and very

inspirational.

It has loads of "how to photos" and is a more recent publication

than some of the others mentioned.

I consider myself a pretty good modeller, but this book will always

have a place on my reference shelf.

HTH

Pete

Another you might want to consider is the oddly titled

Applied Modelling Encyclopaedia Aircraft

published by Euro Modelismo/Squadron/Signal.

Well, I wouldn't say that this book is suited for beginners. I got this book last year, and although I call myself an advanced modeler, I am unable to use the techniques in this book, because it is not a step-by-step book and requires the knowledge of some skills (that still have to be figured out by myself).

Edited by Lancer512

ANY of the Shep Paine books I highly recommend. As a kid I had his diorama book clipped open to the figure painting section and next to my bench permanently! Of course when I restarted in the hobby we got the new edition and I have it on the shelf next to the bench now, too!

KA12136.jpg

This is the new one, but there isn't much different between that and the older edition if you can find an inexpensive 1st ed, go for it.

I second the Kalmbach books and the little spiral Testors one as well. We keep that near the spray booth for quick airbrush troubleshooting.

Here's another Shep Paine book, too : 72_1.JPG

This is the book I was talking about that I forgot the title of:

Plastic Aircraft Modelling Author: Mark Stanton ISBN: 1861264453 · Published by Crowood Press

This book above has basic modeling techniques and it takes you through step by step.

The other book I found, I took a look through and it's pretty thorough as well.

Basic Aviation Modelling Editor: Jerry Scutts ISBN: 1902579046 · Published by Osprey Publishers Series Title: Compendium Modelling Manuals

Edited by The_Animal