A picture of a F-22 with the tinted clearcoat before I apply decals. This one will be in the markings of one of the 43rd FS, 325th FW. I used MM arcylic FS35237 to tint MM acrylic glosscoat.

Edited by Mark S.
Gents:

Here are photos of the two F-22's I'm working on. The first photo. A pic of an F-22 highlighting the difference of the perceived color between the lit and unlit vertical tails.

WoW!!!! That's pretty darn close!!!! :bandhead2:

index.jpg

6.jpg

17.jpg

Edited by raptor22

Here's just a plan view picture. The colors I used were MM graphite lightend by 25% aluminum and aluminum darkened by 20% graphite. The trick is to thin the darker color and apply it while the lighter color has skinned over but not dried. Don't build it up too thick. Keep it marginally translucent.

Mark

Edited by Mark S.

You're definitely onto something there, Mark - it looks fantastic! I'm going to have to look for Graphite in the MM line. Personally, I've never even heard of it before, but the finish that you've achieved certainly is convincing.

Edited by Steve Filak

Gentlemen:

Thanks for the complements, but the only difficult part is the dark color. You mix the aluminum with it to have two pigments in the same coat. This helps in the sheen and helps change the "look" of the color based on the angle of incidence and amount of light. You need to spray it on before the base aluminum color thoroughly drys. The key is to thin it down and not fully coat the areas with it. Keep shaking the jar while doing it as well.

For the clear coat tint color you can use 36176 the darker of the mod eagle colors, 36257 the dark grey on EA-6B's. On my next attempt I'm going to try to use either Gunze Smoke or a dark grey ink to tint the clear coat.

Decals: Kit for the ACC logo and maintenance markings, Repliscale for the tail numbers and codes and my Alps printed decals for the dark grey of the tail band, unit insignia and grills.

By tinting the clear coat you add translucent color. Taken to the extreme it becomes the Candy finishes of the old street rods. A comtemporary vehicle with this effect is the medium blue found on the Chevy Tahoe.

If Testors would tint the vehicle (clear resin part of the aluminum color) you wouldn't need a tinted clear coat.

Guess I've been in auto plant paint shops to long!

Mark

• 1 month later...

Gents:

Got the decals on the Tyndall aircraft. Still learning how to use the camera so hopefully they'll improve. Next I'll be building the red box in the weapons bay and adding details to the canopy frame.

Mark

Guess I've been in auto plant paint shops to long!

Yeah...but it really pays off Mark. :blink:

That finish is magnificent. It's just SOOO close to pics of the full sized bird. :)

The magazine "Combat Aircraft" has a superb, high quality shot of the underside, showing all of the lumps and bumps to great effect.

If you can get hold of a copy it'd sure come in useful for your projects.

Keep up the terrific work! Very impressive. :crying:

:D

• 2 weeks later...