John:

Don't want to sound evasive but I have never sprayed Tamiya acrylics so I don't know. Much of the finish is the result of paint formulation so if it's different than Testor's MM It won't work. I used Testors gloss acrylic which was tinted on one and the lacquer based Testor's gloss coat on the other. The main effect though is the result of the formulation of the aluminum and graphic metallic paints.

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Does the F-22 have the same silver sheen when viewing it in person, or is that a potential effect of the film (since I've heard that the IR-suppression in the paint screws up getting an accurate color photo on desert-camoed tanks, the same may apply for the F-22)? Just wondering because I've seen photos of the F-22 that looked very much like the bottom model in the first comparison pic of the unfinished kits, with just straight, two-tone flat grays, and no silver sheen.

Horrido:

I've never seen a F-22A in person. As for the rest, beyond me. Maybe I should invite a certain ARC Forum member over for a few brews. Maybe he'd bring his ride.

Mark

Edited by Mark S.
  • 2 months later...
Does the F-22 have the same silver sheen when viewing it in person, or is that a potential effect of the film (since I've heard that the IR-suppression in the paint screws up getting an accurate color photo on desert-camoed tanks, the same may apply for the F-22)? Just wondering because I've seen photos of the F-22 that looked very much like the bottom model in the first comparison pic of the unfinished kits, with just straight, two-tone flat grays, and no silver sheen.

The photos you've seen published are accurate of it's finish.

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

thats an interesting question,is this paint , mettalic paint?or an effect of light refracted in the ir film?

in other words ,its not unsense to cover this stealth jet with a layer of mettalic pigment?

remember the firefox.... silver shiny,or dark bluish metal.... in that models , include the full scale mockup they dont use metalic paints, only a gray dupont base and several translucent dark bluish layers.

Edited by FIREFOX2007
  • 11 months later...
A picture comparing the F-22 paint to the Mod Eagle scheme used on the first F-22.

I have to reactivate this topic. Sorry, if this is so, because I haven't read a post (above) with the answer to my question in cause of my bad English... <_<

I'm trying to build Raptor 4001 in the time of it's maiden flight - "Spirit of America", Eagle - without ED.

At this time there wasn't the metal-like color - wasn't it?

Is that color, was Mark S answered above, FS 36176 and FS 36251?

Thanks in advance, :thumbsup:

Mark S - weren't you planning to do us an updated article on this? Would be VERY useful right now given that some of us have Revell F-22's ready for paint!!

However - could you have a think about alternative paints - here in the UK we can't get Modelmaster paints....