I used a Q-tip cotton swab to darken the areas aft of the gear doors to simulate oil/exhaust staining. I didn't want to over-do-it as the stains in the photos aren't very dark. BTW I've corrected the toe-out of the main gear wheels after the photo was taken. Additionally I used the same swab to dirty up the inside of the exhausts which were painted white.

Mark,

Looks great so far, certainly the closest I have seen to the real thing. The light gray area on the spine looks like it could be extended though, in accordance with this picture and the one posted earlier showing an F-22 pulling into the vertical.

Regards,

Murph

Murph:

Thanks much. Been looking for that type of photo. Too late to move the exhausts on these two but the next one. Murph is there a tail band on 051? There was a profile on HS that had: "Fightin" Eagles"

Thanks again.

Mark

Edited by Mark S.

Mark,

The 27FS jets have a tail band saying "Fightin' Eagles" on them, in medium gray. I think it's on both sides of the tails, I can check at work this week.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph

i'm speechless....ive never seen a Raptor painted like the real thing....

yah maybe you could help us folks here by giving us a step by step painting guide on the Raptor.....hehheeheee you could even start a book..."Painting a Raptor in scale"

hehee....truly a great job on the paintwork!

Revised the paint on the aircraft's spine and added decals for the black area behind the refueling receptical. Added the black trapizoids forward and aft of the cockpit.

Edited by Mark S.

Mark, that's an awesome paint job. I'd like to do a Raptor someday after it sees a little bit of operational service....but that metallic paint job looks like it'll take a lot of skill to pull off, skill I'm trying to develop. Once I get really comfortable with the airbrush I could contemplate doing something like that. And I don't know if I'm in the mood to tackle many more Italeri contemporary jet fighter kits after the struggles with my Eagle, Hornet, and Tomcat.

Justin, has the Italeri 1/72nd Raptor in his stash.

Mark,

The 27FS jets have a tail band saying "Fightin' Eagles" on them, in medium gray. I think it's on both sides of the tails, I can check at work this week.

Regards,

Murph

Sorry to take so long, yes they have the "Fightin' Eagles" tail band on both sides of the vert stabs.

Regards,

Murph

Gents:

I'm done with the exception of a little clean-up, fixing and painting the ladders and such. Here are a few pics:

The jet on the left tail code "OT" was finished with just a clear coat before decal application. For the one on the right I tinted the clear coat with 35237. It's a subtle difference.