Academy F/a-18c "iraqi Freedom"

I've started the Academy 32nd CBug and having some fit issues with the outer intake assemblies.(step 11) There is no way I can get them to mount flush, not even close. Horrible fit. Major gap filling here. Has anyone else run into this? :bandhead2:

Edited by Boomstick

I just wanna say that the fit on this model sucks. I am not impressed at all and will not build another Academy Bug once this one is complete. Sure, the detail is nice.................! I think once this one is done, I will have done LESS sanding and filling on my 48th BONE compared to this! :thumbsup:

Ooer...! :o

Sorry to hear of your woes :(

I have one of these on my wish list but now you're giving me second thoughts!

Is it really THAT bad Boomstick?

All of the write-ups & reviews of this kit say that it's brilliant.

Have you taken any pics of the offending items? :blink:

Sorry to hear of the fit problems, I am on my second of this kit and after spending alot of time sanding the exterior of the intake to match the side as it extends aft after installing. The second time I learned to sand the intake backside behind the splitter plate (concave part that tucks against fuselage), as you can keep sanding roughly almost all the way through at the aft part until it dryfits in place. this time around it made for a nice butt joint on the outside with no filler required. I figure I spent about ten minutes on it this time as opposed to probably what seemed like an hour or two last time. There is likely some better methods to use out there but this one saved me a bunch of effort this time around. Hope this helps. As I have the D model waiting as well, I hope others will chime in, maybe by then I'll have it perfected. You're right though, it is alot of extra work, but in the end it turns out to be a pretty impressive kit.

Hmmm. Yes..I remember fighting with the intakes too. I took the hard route and reshaped the outside, went back with filler, and then re-scribed.

Got it to look OK, but it was a struggle..Here's a pic:

Ugh. I like the smarter approach Peanut used! wish I'd thought of that!

Regards,

Pig

My Hornet looked just like yours before I filled the seams.I would recomend the sheet plastic shim and superglue method on the LEX and intake seams.I feel your pain my big bug fought me every step of the way.I will finish it after my IAF F-16 is done.Good luck...Mark

F-18Top.jpg

F-18side.jpg