Airfix Nimrod...

Airfix 1/72 Nimrod  

186 members have voted

1. 1. How many will you buy

• None
    • One but only one
    • More than one

Big kits tend to do well on wish lists, and big kits tend to do poorly in real life - sticking with a modern RAF theme, how many Tornado kits do you own? How many C-130s?

Actually, I have three C-130 kits: a DC-130, an AC-130, and a plain cargo variant which I was going to do up in some odd small-air-force livery, until I saw that it came with perfectly serviceable decals for the RAF's "Fat Slags". If I live long enough, I might think about building an LC-130, an MC-130, and the Blue Angels' "Fat Albert" as well. (Hmm . . . is there an 'obesity' theme developing here . . . ?)

Of course I'm not typical in my Herculean enthusiasm. (And while I might have attic space for the kits, I certainly don't have living-room space to display the finished models!) And the Nimrod lacks the Herk's appeal of multiple variants, users, and schemes. I'll certainly buy one, though, if it's a decent kit.

I'll certainly buy one, but only one . It will make a nice - and ultimate - addition to the Vulcan, Victor, Canberra's and (hopefully soon) TSR.2 I have .

"Big kits tend to do well on wish lists, and big kits tend to do poorly in real life"

That's something I'd like to disprove : big does sell rather well over here . Looking at what speed and quantity those Trump Bears, Badgers and Roden An.12's flew away . The worst selling Trumpeter kit I have is the RA-5C .

I'm with those who say that the interest in a certain subject largely depends on geography .

I'm pretty sure the Nimrod will do well in Europe, less in the USA and sales in the other parts of the world being seen as a bonus .

:thumbsup:

Stef

As one of those Yanks who has had the rare priviledge of seeing a Nimrod up close (outside and inside) I will take a couple. One to do stock and the second one to perhaps convert into a Comet assuming somebody does a conversion for it. The Nimrod is one of those planes that looks kind of funky, but has a charm all its own. I just wonder if it will come with its own fully kilted Scottsman in the lavatory? :thumbsup:

The only time I have ever seen a Nimrod up close was when they had it at the Abbotsford Airshow in the early 80s, back when they were using the over-all RAF Sand camoflage. For me, 1/72nd is the choice for large aircraft (with the exception of the B-1B that I own). It's an interesting aircraft, and one that I might consider doing. But I'd really have to "want" to do it, and probably by that time, it'll probably be sold out. :thumbsup:

RAF Overall Sand would be the only finish, I'd be interested in doing for the Nimrod. So pretty much, I'd only buy 1.

Edited by The_Animal

Hi,

I wouldn't buy one, because I simply don't like the Nimrod. Though I am a great fan of the Golden age of British aviation, the Nimrod is just... well, boring, I reckon. But thats only my humble opinion. I hope Airfix will enlighten us with more British beauties in the years to come. Attacker, Scimitar, Buccaneer, you know...

Han

I'll get one to add to the 'Transport Fleet' but if given a preference, better to be 1/144...space is going to be a problem. I echo the sentiments of others who would like to see a C17, wonder when it'll appear??? :D

Johan

At least 2 for me, one Mr2, and one to convert to MR4 ( a convesrion set would be nice, but I'll scratch it if I have to)

As for Millstone? No I don't think so. Airfix are limiting the manufacturing to how many pre orders they get, not to a set number.

I'll have a few of those Cranberries and Spit 1s and nines too, and some Islanders...

Well, it looks like I'm in the majority with 'one and only one'.

First off, my reaction on seeing them on Saturday was; "Bugger, if only they'd been scaled down (72 Canberra, 144 Nimrod) I'd have been happier". But then I have very limited display space and appreciate that others will feel differently.

I'll probably get one (as I have with TSR2), but I don't honestly think I'd have space for more. It'll probably get the grey/white scheme from a few years ago.

I think this is quite a brave move for Airfix and I wish them well with it. Canberra should be a winner though with much more diverse marking options. I wonder if this one is expected to subsidise the Nimrod commercially - UK enthusiasts get what they want (72 Nimrod) and the canberra sells around the world (including the States, which I guess is a big plus for Airfix). I have no idea how the economics of the model industry works, but maybe this is a way to satisfy the wish lists and make some money at the same time.

Just my thoughts,

Steve.

Hi,

I hope Airfix will enlighten us with more British beauties in the years to come. Attacker, Scimitar, Buccaneer, you know...

Han

Hi Han, Airfix already do Bucanners's in both 1/48th and 1/72nd scales, and whereas the latter kit could benefit from a re-tooling makeover I suspect we'll have to wait for someone else!

Its interesting to see the marketing policies of company's nowadays. For Airfix to suggest that the production run is directly resultant upon the "demand" seems a bit odd! For one the projected issue of a kit could dictate the material used in the toolmaking - Aluminium tooling is cheaper than steel, but doesn't last as long......

As for issuing "Golden Age" British subjects, those days ended in the 1970's - which say the end of FROG and the beginning of the end of Matchbox. I think that "our" best bet - in terms of "Golden Age" British subjects lies accross the North Sea, and then dependant upon whether a specific Aircraft type was based on the continent (As in RoG's gorgeous little Hunter F6) - though a Lightning F3 is an interesting exeption to that rule! The Buccaneer was of course based in Germany as was the Canberra so ..I guess the rumours may have some truth in them.....

Well done to Airfix though. Particularly on the Cranberry! By all accounts Trevor Snowden has been badgering Airfix for years to produce this one, and now thankfully that perseverenace looks like its going to pay off. And well done John Adams of Aeroclub too - for his long term input into the project. For those that haven't had the pleasure of building an Aeroclub Canberra, you missed a good'un!! If Airfix's kit matches that quality then WOW!!!!

As for the Nimrod! I guess I'll not now need my old Contrail AiM kit now - wonder what it'll fetch on E-bay!!

But again if the breakdown of parts allows us to build the butt ugly MR4 too..................

As for the Nimrod! I guess I'll not now need my old Contrail AiM kit now - wonder what it'll fetch on E-bay!!

But again if the breakdown of parts allows us to build the butt ugly MR4 too..................

I think it was the old Airways vacform that Airfix had on their stand........

I made this kit about 25 years ago - in a grey and white scheme with two intake blanks painted as a Union flag and the other two as the US flag.

I had seen a photo in a magazine of just such a Nimrod at NAS Jacksonville - the painted engine blanks made a nice colourful addition to the boring grey and white.

Ken

Hi Han, Airfix already do Bucanners's in both 1/48th and 1/72nd scales, and whereas the latter kit could benefit from a re-tooling makeover I suspect we'll have to wait for someone else!

I believe the 1/72 Buccaneer's no longer available but on ebay or modeling meetings .

:cheers:

Stef

RAF Overall Sand would be the only finish, I'd be interested in doing for the Nimrod. So pretty much, I'd only buy 1.

Hugo, that color isn't sand, it's Hemp (BS4800/10B21 according to JPS Modell).

Personally, I'd love a couple-or-three of them, one or two in a real scheme and a couple of whiffers.

"I believe the 1/72 Buccaneer's no longer available but on ebay or modeling meetings .

Stef"

Hi Stef, Dunno whats happening here - I couldn't use the "Quote" function!!!

Anyway by all accounts Airfix's 1/72 Buccaneer its due for re-issue next year!! Hopefully with some new decals! I'll probably give it a miss and treat myself to a couple of Czech Resin's S2's!!

:thumbsup:

"I believe the 1/72 Buccaneer's no longer available but on ebay or modeling meetings .

Stef"

Hi Stef, Dunno whats happening here - I couldn't use the "Quote" function!!!

Anyway by all accounts Airfix's 1/72 Buccaneer its due for re-issue next year!! Hopefully with some new decals! I'll probably give it a miss and treat myself to a couple of Czech Resin's S2's!!

:D

:lol: That's good news !! Thanks Bill !

Czech resin - a couple ! ... you're a wealthy man ...

BTW : the quote button is the one under the post you want to copy .

Stef

:D That's good news !! Thanks Bill !

Czech resin - a couple ! ... you're a wealthy man ...

BTW : the quote button is the one under the post you want to copy .

:lol:

Stef

"BTW : the quote button is the one under the post you want to copy ."

Thanks Stef for that info. I did know that - after all I have indeed quoted quite a lot in the past!!! For some reason the link wasn't working earlier, glad to say it is now!!

Regarding the Czech Resins kits - sometimes you have to pay for quality. I've attempted to turn the Airfix 1/72nd kit into a "masterpiece" once or twice too often! By the time I've added white metal seats from Chota Sahib, resin nose and weapons from SAM, PE wing fold and Airbrake set from Airwaves, Modeldecals PLUS half a kilo of Milliput, PLUS all of the sand-paper, wet n'dry paper, polish etc., and the time taken to turn this sow's ear of a kit into a purse - I reckon I deserve to treat myself now and again!!!

I'm going for two and I don't care,I think it's a FANTASTIC choice of release because it's for damn sure that noone else would have done it except maybe Revell. between the Spitfire IX/Canberra,Nimrod and TSR.2 it's already a great year for modelling.

Stephen

Well, I just pre-ordered two Nimrods at Hannants. So let's see how the cards fall.

For these Airfix special edition kits, where -should- one pre-order the Nimrod to guarantee receipt? Is pre-ordering from Hannants right now going to get me on the Airfix list so that I can get the two that I want?

-Mike

1/48 Tucano, Lynx (Army/Navy), Chinook, Puma (OK not jets but...) all with international appeal and then

Sea Vixen, Scimitar, Gannet (1/72,1/48), Swift, Javelin, Hunter, Gnat, Jet Provost/Strikemaster, Sentinal, Lightning (1/72) Sea Harrier FRS1

Yes to everything, twice!! :cheers:

Karl