A-6A, KA-6D VA-196, circa 1973

Going to give this project a try. Using the Italeri E kit and go back to an A, and the KA-6D kit slightly backdated to the above time period (that's when I was there).

First up is to remove the fairings under the wing kink. I've sanded them off the first one and will probably fill with Milliput and sand smooth. Next will be to shape the seats back to the GRU-5 seats.

The tanker will get the same wing mod. Then the BN's panel will be cleaned off and the pedastal removed. GRU-5 seats again, and will pretty much be there.

Here's a quick shot of the wing with the fairings removed and another wing panel with the fairings still on.

regards,

Gary

• 4 weeks later...

A little progress ... boxed in the wheel wells and filling in the removed 126 slabs that were removed

also a klutz move ... knocked over a bottle of Ambroid pro weld onto one of the wings and it ate the outer wing panel ... got to find another kit to rob the wing :blink:

Tram panel on radome being filled, chaff buckets being filled and then the Doppler fairing will be extended as on the A model, and speed brake panels being filled afterwhich the proper hole configuration will be drilled.

While chasing down the proper chaff bucket arrangement I came across some info for a B model from VA-196 so I'm going to do a B instead of the KA-6D I originally planned as a second build ... it'll be a mod-0 version with 2 Shrikes and 2 Standard ARM's.