• 2 weeks later...

Foklks,

Here are some photos illustrating the differnce in the noses of the early F-8s and the F-8E. These are small versions, there are larger ones in my Photobucket album if you backtrack i, along with several more views.

These are provided to illustrate the problem that exists with the CE early conversion set, which was mastered to use the kit windscreen, which includes part of the enlarged fairing for the E radome and distorts the shape in the upper area.

First an oblique view of the two types side by side. On the E, I have apporiamated the position of the windshield part. Compare it to the same area on the early modes(the C prototype, restored by Vought) on the left.

CvsENose-L.jpg

Next: front, side and plan views of the two noses, early on top, an F-8E(FN) on the bottom.

C-Eradome3view-sm.jpg

Last, a profile view of an early nose superimposed on an E(FN). A problem with both the kit E radome and the CE early one is that in profile they are symmetrical in shape, but neither radome is, in fact, symmetrical, as can be seen in this photo. The difference isn't much, but it is there. Elsewhere in the Photobucket album are photos that better illustrate this assymetry.

AvsEradomeprofile.jpg

For Poole, or anyone else contemplating doing an A, here are some other points about the A to keep in mind.

1. The A had no AI radar, just a gun ranging radar in the tip of the nose cone, which was usually white or cream in color, but it could also be black as in this photo. Note the AOA vane on the side, and its mounting panel, and the yaw vane on the top of the nose cone. The nose cone behind the tiny radome was metal on the A, not fibreglass The gun camera window is visible on the underside of the cone.

ARadomedetails.jpg

Also, since it had no intercept radar, there is no radar screen in the instrument panel. Instead there is a switch panel across the top. Here is a photo of an A cockpit:

F8Acockpit-unk.jpg

Here is an A panel, but note that the lower switch panel has been cut off.

F-8Apanel4.jpg

While we are in the cockpit, here is the stick for the A thru C models:

F-8AStickR.jpg

.....continued in next post

Moving on to the right side of the fuselage iwe find the air conditioning exhaust vent and its fairing. The Hasgawa kit (and its 1/72 scale Academy clone) has the configuration of the vent correct for a D and E, but it was quite differect on the A through C. Also, Hasegawa has not correctly rendered the shape of the fairing as the following photos will indicate. (Most of you will not be bothered by this, but it bugs the hell out of me. Hasegawa corrected every error of the Monogram kit but, unfortunately, they got wrong some things that Mongram had right, this is one)

ACMExhaust2.jpg

ACMexhaust1.jpg

details of the exhaust vent:

ACMExhaust3.jpg

ACMExhaust4.jpg

Lastly (that I can think of at the moment), the A and B had no ventral fins and no afterburner cooling scoops on top of the tailcone. On the left side of the aircraft aft of the wheel well was the fuel vent mast, incorporated into the ventral fin on the C and later models.

FuelVentMast-sm.jpg

Both the main and nose wheels were different on the A, but I have no photos of early wheels. The seat was different in the A, B and early C ,too, as was mentioned elsewhere. No one does a Vought seat, but it is not hard to do since it was basically an early Douglas Escapac seat with a Vought headrest and face curtain handle. The Vought seats were replaced with Martin Baker F5 seats beginning in 1959, I think. Terry Kryway's ejection from a VF-11 F-8A in 1961 was the first "in extremis" use of the F5 seat and sold the skeptical F-8 community on it. If you have never seen them, they are here:

http://www.cloudnet.com/~djohnson/kryway.htm

That's it until I think of something I missed, hope this helpful to "early bird" fans

Cheers,

Tom

Latest update of my online F-8/A-7 images

A-7A (153135) Corsair II Walk Around Page 1

109 images of A-7A 153135

A-7E Corsair II Walk Around

7 images of A-7E 160714

F-8A Crusader Walk Around Page 1

32 images of F-8A 143703

F-8H Crusader Walk Around

8 images of F-8H 148693

F-8K (146985) Crusader Walk Around Page 1

56 images of F-8K 146985

RF-8G Crusader Walk Around Page 1

64 images of RF-8Gs 144617,145645, 146898

Coming soon:

A-7B 154502 including some cockpit shots

RF-8G 146882 including some cockpit shots

YF-8C 140448

I posted the following to the ARC Real Aviation forum, and am reposting it here on the chance a Group Builder might not see it there.

Anyone have any pictures of the A-7D and K intakes? It appears all the intakes (insides) are painted a green camo color (vice "normal" white). Can't tell how far into the intake the camo goes.

Gene K

That is about as good a guesstimate as any.

I looked at over 60 images of USAF/ANG

A-7s and either the intake was covered or

in shooting the jet the angle was side on or

angled from the rear. The A-7 was difficult

to shoot from the front quarter if one wanted

to capture the tail markings and serial/buno.

bill

• 1 month later...

Besides the Weblinks that many of you have so kindly posted here :blink: , here are some of my other references.

The F-8 stuff & kits:

DSC01106.jpg

The A-7 "package"

DSC01105.jpg

I need to find the Part 3 ( I think :cheers: ) book for the Marine Crusader Squadrons. Since I was planing on doing both of the kits I have in Marine markings. :D

Sorry the pics are a bit blurry, must of been that bottle of "Exotic Fruits" wine that my girlfriend twisted my arm to drink! :banana:

• 1 year later...

Hi guys,

I'm new to the boards. I'm building a 1/6 scale F8H model Crusader. Does anyone know where I can find

good pics of a H model cockpit,such as the dash and side panels?Any help would be great.

www.dcmodelshop.com

Thanks

David Hudson

• 10 years later...