Painting and fading the TPS scheme on an F-14

Well, this technique is going to get used by yours truly. Great technique Brian!!!! Oh....do you mind sharing the steps you took top mask and paint the intakes?? Also....the pen you used for the panel lines and streaking, where do yuo get them???? Do you also use a wash, or is the pen sufficient???

Hey thanks Colin!

The intakes can be very tricky, but to be honest, I use Dave Augnst's method for the intakes when it comes to masking and painting. You can find his tomcat article on HS.

As for the pen, it's all I use, no washes, no pastels, nothin' else.

brian - question about the intake. the hasegawa kit provides intake ramps which are deployed very downwards - is this the usual position when the plane is taxiing/stationary? i encountered this problem when i built a hasegawa and monogram cat, and both had different intake ramp positions...

David

ok I have to try this one out myself however I have a Q for ya

would you say this is more or less the same way richy painted his bird? od did he not blend it all together that much?

just checking my odds here and trying to figure wich is the best way to go at painting a navy aircraft :thumbsup:

for me that is :wub:

greetz STB

frederick jacobs

Brian, WOW...all I can say is that the article is very informative and the pictures are stunning. I'll remember to use this article when I manage to get a chance to do ANYTHING F-14 related. Which considering, I'm going back to school won't be for a LOOOOOOONG time.

brian - question about the intake. the hasegawa kit provides intake ramps which are deployed very downwards - is this the usual position when the plane is taxiing/stationary? i encountered this problem when i built a hasegawa and monogram cat, and both had different intake ramp positions...

David

David-

I've seen them both down, up, partially down, one intake with the up, one with them down while parked on the ramp. It really doesn't matter.

Here's a photo to prove my point.

Edited by VF-103guy
  • 3 months later...