Painting and fading the TPS scheme on an F-14

My sister has agreed to let me use her digtial camera this weekend to take a few pics so I can finally post them.

Hmmm does this mean that Brian was a BAAAAAD boy and Santa didnt bring him a Digital camera?

WE WANT PICS, lololol!!!

Thanks Brian,

Jack aka BUGFAN

Ok, here's the fading after the base coat was applied. Pay no attention to my air bladder bags. I haven't painted them yet!

Take note here. See how subtle the Dk Ghost Grey is? Once the gloss coat is applied, this will all darken up.

Edited by VF-103guy

Ok, this shot here shows the correct antennae arangement on the turtle back of both the F-14B and F-14D. There are only 3 antennaes, the TACAN which is the large one just aft of the canopy, the GPS dome, and then the standard UHF.

Pay no attention to the mess..

What mess? :blink:

Seriously though, nice lineup yoiu have Brian. and thanks for sharing your technique. After trying it on the current Hornet, I think I am confident enough to try it on the Tomcat when I get to it. :cheers:

Gald you guys are finding the article useful. It takes some time to actually "master it" but with patience, even a first timer can get a good finish using the technique. Charlie's post on his VFA-97 F-18 proves that!

JDAM Brian!!!!!!

jdam-002.jpg

Ok I got a question... how did you dirty up the GBUs in that way to make them with like these "cylindrical" streaks around the body of the bomb???

JDAM Brian!!!!!!

jdam-002.jpg

Ok I got a question... how did you dirty up the GBUs in that way to make them with like these "cylindrical" streaks around the body of the bomb???

Thanks Ming!

Doing the cylindrical weathering is easy. I simply dry brush OD green and or a light grey of some kind on the bomb. As I'm dry brushing the bomb, I twist it. That gives you the effect you see.

How silly of me...I forgot to add a pictue of the pit.

This is the kit pit modified with the Black Box PTIDS screen added to the hasegawa kit instrument panel. Installation only requires minor cutting of the kit piece. Also I did a little kit bashing in the front office. I decided to use Mongram's control stick because it is very accurate for an F-14A/B and a throttle was added to the pilot's left console. A pair of Verlinden GRU-7's will complete the pit eventually.

Edited by VF-103guy