Just to prove I have started!!!

Here is the box art and model (half way ready for painting)

In looking at all the other kits being built, I realise that half the completed kits I still have from my youth are actually matchbox kits. And apart from a fair bit a flash, this model is going together really well.

:lol:

GM

Progress slowly being made. Here is a shot with all the unpainted bits in place. That 'bump' on the top of the canopy got a severe filing, as it was just an enormous chunk of plastic, and not the raised cover it should have been. Even so it is still a bit big, but I couldn't hold it any longer.

And now that I have a 'fine' tip for my airbrush, I though I would give this pre-shading a go. I was experimenting with my new tip using some dark grey, and as the sand camo is quite light I also used it for marking out some of the panels.

That is all for today.

cheers

Grant

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the comments.

Alby - the model will be finished as the box art, RN sand camo.

Ralph - Weeellll, those bits sticking out of the windscreen are yet another prime example of my complete lack of forward planning! They are toothpick ends rammed into the holes in the canopy for the windscreen wipers (which will be black). What I should have done was filled the back of the holes with ClearFix, BEFORE I stuck the canopy together. Doh.

cheers

Grant

Having built this little ripper not so many months ago I reckon it is coming on nicley Grant.

How did you go with the engine housing? Those ribs are bloody shockers to fill and clean up!

:D

MikeJ

Having built this little ripper not so many months ago I reckon it is coming on nicley Grant.

How did you go with the engine housing? Those ribs are bloody shockers to fill and clean up!

:banana:

MikeJ

Some photos I have in that Wessex monograph show a flat, rivited section down the spine. So I just stuck a very thin bit of plasticard down the centre to cover up the seem and just chamfered off the edges as best I could.

I'll try and remeber to take some pictures from the rear next time.

cheers

Grant

I realised as I took this shot, that although I had promised Mike I would take a shot from the rear, I had actually just masked over the bit he wanted to see. Doh!

Anyway, here she is all masked up and ready to paint. Only took about an hour, and I used Maskol directly onto the tailplane. Hope it doesn't stain the paint.

Cheers

Grant.

I realised as I took this shot, that although I had promised Mike I would take a shot from the rear, I had actually just masked over the bit he wanted to see. Doh!

Anyway, here she is all masked up and ready to paint. Only took about an hour, and I used Maskol directly onto the tailplane. Hope it doesn't stain the paint.

Cheers

Grant.

Grant

Re: the Maskol, a couple of things...... did you apply it to matt paint? If so it might be a tad difficult to get off.... and don't leave it on too long or else it WILL be difficult to get off! (speaking from experience here) :cheers:

:D

Ray

Looks like I got lucky Ray. I went back before going to bed, about 2 hrs later, and pulled off all the masking. The Maskol came off fine, although it did bring a tiny bit of the green with it.

That fine tip on my airbrush just makes the world of difference. Nice finish (so far) and so little paint, which dries quickly - cool.

Now, the question is should I try spraying Klear or use Klear to put the transfers on with. So many techniques and so little skill at any of them!

Here is a picture of the uncovered paint scheme, windows all still masked. At the back, where I changed Blu-tac type there looks like some greasy marks and the edges of the green. Maybe I should have put a klear coat on before the green..... Why are so many colours matt when they need to be gloss??!!??

Lets see, daughters 17th :o , Christmas prep., up to London for a play, these models aren't going to get looked at for at least a week !

cheers

Grant

Grant,

I find spraying the whole model is the best for me. You get a consistent thickness in the Klear. I have tried using Klear (Future in my case) when applying the decals and found if you use too much then the build up is left on the model around where the decal is (if you don't notice and wipe it away that is). If you spray you have to wait the the coat to harden while if you use the Klear while decaling you save some time.

Your call

:thumbsup:

Ray

I Future the model first and then decal, with a final Future coat over the decals. That way I can panel line wash the model with the top clear layer as protection.

Works for me :blink:

Grant, that Wessex is looking excellent.

I assume the maskol went over enamel paints?

:thumbsup:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

Aye, lots of coats of Klear it is then. Definitely the safest option. As for spraying it, Ray, I have not got on with that before, but I have a hulk ready for a bit of practice with my new fine tip. Everything else has been much easier with it and so, I hope, will be spraying Klear.

Mike - the legs went together fine. Little bit of holding and balancing of the model on it's nose while they set. The only problem I have had is that the lower port leg snapped clean off at the fuselage join while I was unmasking it. It didn't think I was pulling that hard! Still, a simple fix.

Cheers

Grant

• 3 weeks later...

Well the Christmas break is shooting by. I have had no time to see how everyone else is getting on, although I have got on with some modelling.

Nearly finished the Wessex. Just the aerials down the side, made from hair kindly donated from my daughter. Bit of an exeperiment really, will they actually be too thin, or look about right? Don't know 'till I try.

In the meantime here is a photo of the stbd jet exhaust. I am very pleased with the way they turned out. Still experimenting with a fine tip on my airbrush, but it seems to significantly improve everything I have tried with it so far.

The paints on the exhust are ALCLAD II Aluminium and Jet Exhaust.

cheers

Grant

Grant,

She's looking REALLY good!! Great (!!) job on the exterior paint, and your method of doing the instrument panel is just too clever.

(I hate to be a wet blanket, and please don't take this the wrong way, but the jet-pipe in the photo is attached at the wrong end - the two bands should go at the end away from the fuselage. :lol: )

All the best for the New Year!!

Tony