(I hate to be a wet blanket, and please don't take this the wrong way, but the jet-pipe in the photo is attached at the wrong end - the two bands should go at the end away from the fuselage. :unsure: )

All the best for the New Year!!

Tony

%&£**! I have just had a much closer look at the photos in the 4+ Wessex book that you sent (!!) and damn, your right again. What a dope I am. Now - the exhausts were stuck on, post decal ,with CA. Dare I see if they will simply break off?? Could I do it without damaging the decal? Hmm, time for some deep breaths. (and maybe a stiff drink)

I have just put the model in the display case and was about to put up some photos of the finished article. I will now hold off for a while and collect my thoughts.

Tony, do keep pointing out the stupid errors. I obviously need all the help I can get.

In the meantime, here is a shot of the aerials down the fuselage side, made using some my daughter's hair that she no longer required! In the photo you can see that Humbrol enamal doesn't 'take' to well to hair that has been dyed whatever shade of red it is she uses.

Cheers

Grant

It's a good thing I have this to cover my ***....

%&£**! I have just had a much closer look at the photos in the 4+ Wessex book that you sent (!!)
Tony, do keep pointing out the stupid errors. I obviously need all the help I can get.

...because you've got your roundel and 'Royal Navy' titling in the wrong places on the starboard side. :thumbsup:

Great job on the antenna wires though - they're finer than mine turned out, and I'm going to steal your "daughter's-hair" technique!!

Tony,

Firstly :

Let me re-phrase my original statement

"do keep pointing out the stupid errors - that I can do something about!"

Secondly :

:cheers: B) , :bandhead2::bandhead2::bandhead2: !

How many times did I look at that book? And yet when it came to the unchangable moment I didn't cross reference the kit instructions with the photos. Good grief there are 4 of them lined up for goodness sake!

Thirdly :

Modifications are definitely in order. Now where DID I put that Lump Hammer....?

Grant.

(Going off to learn from his mistakes)

Such a nice build - don't panic too much about those tiny errors, we are only human after all!! :rofl:

The Wessex has always held a big appeal for me :

1) being born and growing up in the "troubled province", Wessies were a constant sight

2) the Wessex was the first helicopter I ever flew in (RAF 60sqn XT671/H - sad that I can remember the side number!! :lol: )

3) the Wessex was the first aircraft I was let loose on during my training (thankfully, they were all decommissioned and in HMS Sultan)

4) I love the Fleet Air Arm during the sixties, so many overseas detachments, minor colonial conflicts and colour schemes!!

I have built several versions of the Matchbox Wessex, but since the release of Italeri's/Revells much better offering (which strangely was ignored by the vast majority of the British modelling press :soapbox: ) I disposed of all my unbuilt Matchbox Wessex kits.

Nice to see it can still be built into a good replica of the real thing!! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting Steve. The model has survived the lump hammer (the exhaust decals did split but went back together again OK with a bit if Klear). So exhausts on correctly, winch added and tail rotor with BMF matt aluminum foil for the leading edge errosion strips.

A pretty little model in that camo scheme. It would have been nice to do all the mesh grills properly, but it still looks the part. It was nice to do a quick OOB build and see all those other different kits being built. Well done Madmike and Thommo for getting it together.

So to the piccies. 4 here and I will post one more on the completed thread.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Grant