I decided to start with USAF version of the Corsair II, the Delta variant. I will be using Eduards PE color set for the interior, Super Scale Decals for the Ohio Nat Guard killer bee decals. Images to follow as the computer here at my office will not work with my digital camera. Rather annoying.

This is a great opportunity to build a couple of these A-7's that have been in the stash for awhile. Especially this A-7D kit which I bought in Milford, Ct in 92. It was a hobby shop that was closing down

near the Post Rd.

Today's A-7E featured on the front page is a pretty good motivator. Still up in the air if I will go AMS on this A-7D or on the "E". Will see as this kit progresses. More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 3 weeks later...

With the new computer now here. I can soon post images for this current project. So let me finish installing some more software and hook up the digital camera. We will be good to go. Though a busy schedule ahead this weekend with Christmas and all I'll see if I can get it done this evening.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Ok was able to load up the initial images for this GB A-7D. Introducing the Hasegawa A-7D in 1/48th scale,

kit #P-13.

P1010282.JPG

Using Eduard's Zoom color set for the cockpit, Super Scale sheet #48-544 for the Ohio Nat Guard decals, and EZ mask for the canopy.

P1010283.JPG

I bought this kit in Milford, Ct. back in 92 before coming home for good at a Hobby Shop closing down for good. So it has been in the stash for awhile. More images to follow.

P1010286.JPG

Chuck

Fly Navy

Edited by uscusn

First things first was to shoot all the white components, gear bays, doors and interior panels. Then to airbrush the Dark Gull Grey cockpit components, seat pedals and inside the cockpit interior. Actual assembling will start with the seat. Using the kit parts with the Eduards detail bits.

P1010287.JPG

The kit seat is basic but is correct for this version. Adding Eduard's belts, seat cushion and ejection handle really enhances the seat. Really thought of getting some resin seats for this but after getting this set for this kit and the A-7E which is next in the assembly line really nullifed the extra expense.

P1010288.JPG

With the seat out of the way, next to start work on the cockpit and acutally get the main fuselage halves together. This may have to wait until after the Christmas weekend. Don't think will have anytime for any building this weekend. More to follow. Merry Christmas everyone.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year everyone, and with the extended weekend, took the opportunity to get some work done on the A-7. With the seat completed, I would work on the cockpit. Starting with the base pit. A little painting and then I am ready to add Eduards PE consoles, pedals and instrument panel.

P1010309.JPG

With the consoles,pedals and control stick installed. Also went and assembled the intake trunk and installed the cockpit after test fitting and checking on alignment with in LH fuselage 1/2.

P1010288_1.JPG

The RH fuselage 1/2 with the intake trunk temporarily installed. Airbrushed Testor Zinc Chromate in the exhaust tail interior and avionics bays. I also added a wash in the nose gear and main landing gear bays.

P1010304.JPG

P1010308.JPG

I will have to say that this kit is really nice. I have read several reviews and all have been positive. This kit is a nice change compared to a complicated F-14. Also I can already tell with just dry fitting the intake trunk into the fuselage that there will be very little to worry about how this area of the nose will look when both halves are joined. Next I will get some better images of the instrument panel and the PE cockpit rails installed in each fuselage 1/2,.as I am not satisfied with the images taken today of them. Ah the rain is

here. More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Edited by uscusn

That's coming together nicely so far. I notice that you have painted the speedbrake well. Are you planning on positioning it "drooped" open a bit? I had considered doing that but hadn't seen many references where is was open at all while parked.

:cheers:

Well today with good weather was able to get better images of the instrument panel and what has been completed to date.

P1010297.JPG

This image as a test fit of the canopy assy into the fuselage of the A-7. Notice that the fit of the intake is very nice to the intake lip. Very little work will be needed here once this is cemented in place.

P1010300.JPG

P1010302.JPG

Initial test fitting of the instrument panel into the fuselage will be no issue either. Both halves fit perfectly nothing in the way when both fuselage halves are test fitted. So far a very nice and no hassle build. I have to say a really nice kit of the A-7. The weather here in So. Cal is exceptionally warm and dry, perfect modeling weather. Not like last year when I thought I was in Seattle. Raining every day at this time a year ago.

P1010303.JPG

Next a little preshading, install the exhaust cone, add a little nose weight and we can slap the halves together for good.

More images to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

Mkimages-I was actually leaving my options open but decided to close it up. Though that is the only issue so far on the kit is the divebrake fit is not the greatest. But so far this is a really nice kit. And goes together rather quickly.

Today I added the nose weight and exhaust cone before I will button her up.

P1010293.JPG

No issue on getting both halves together. The instrument panel, canopy and exhaust cone was sandwiched nicely. Next step was to install the dive brake and lower fuselage plug just aft of the nose gear bay. A little work will be needed here before final finish will be applied. Since I was in the middle of airbrusing the tails of an ongoing F-14 project. I used the leftover black to pre shade the fuselage of this A-7,the A-7E and the F-8 while I was at it.

P1010296.JPG

P1010297_1.JPG

The intake to nose fit is excellent. I have never seen such a perfect fit for a big mouth intake jet such as this one. I salute the Hasegawa designer for this part of the kit.

P1010298.JPG

No issues here on the tail either. A tight fit for the filler under the vertical tail but manageable. I did however forgot to open up the holes in the tail for the antennas.

P1010299.JPG

Really no need for a resin cockpit. The base kit offers a very good cockpit, just a little PE enhancements from Eduards is all that is required. I know Aires offers an excellent cockpit set but it is expensive, and honestly it isn't really needed.

P1010301.JPG

So far so good. Will put this aside for the day as we stop at step 4. Will start work on kit #2.

More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 3 weeks later...

After giving the "D" a week off, today I added some of the fuselage detail components. Unique to the A-7D, the sensors under the nose and housing below aft of the main gear bay. Also installed the wing assy less the folded wing tips. The fit here was good not excellent but good and minor filler will be needed here.

P101A7D10.JPG

The refueling receptacle was also installed on top of the wing. I will have to add the vertical tail antennas some point before we get to the painting phase.

P101A7D09.JPG

A shot of the tailpipe.

P101A7D08.JPG

For some reason the sprue that contains the wing components is actually a different color plastic compared to the rest of the kit. For the heck of it, I checked the A-7E kit and that kit is all one color, including the sprue that contains the wing components. Rather unusual on the "D" kit.

P101A7D05.JPG

Next week I will start cleaning up the seams and prepare for some primer. I will display this with the wings folded. So far an enjoyable build.

P101A7D12.JPG

More to follow next week. Good there is no rain in the forecast. For Now!

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 1 month later...

Rather busy weekends, inclement weather has delayed the progress of both A-7's and the Seahawk for the helo build. Seems like the rain only comes on the weekends or to cold to work on the kits. Anyway was able to do some work on both Corsairs. Will start with the "D" variant first. Basically started with adding the wingfold mechanism in the wings. Installed the PE HUD and then the windshield. Also checking the 2 tone grey scheme. With a quick test shot of of the lighter grey on the tailcone which looks way to dark.

A7D06.JPG

A7D03.JPG

Hopefully some better weekend weather. But we could use the rain.

A7D01.JPG

A7D04.JPG

A7D05.JPG

Just about at the painting stage. For now to finish the sub assy's, wing tips, and weapon stations.

More to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 1 month later...

Well finally had a decent weekend to get some painting done. Still with some moisture in the air and hoping the water trap will work. Using Xtracolor acrylics cut 50/50 with Future 35727 Med Grey for the base color. This is the first time using this color and I have to say it went on very well with my Paasche H single action airbrush. It had a similar feeling when airbrushing with Gunze. Similar sheen a semi gloss finish.

P1010379.JPG

After painting the main airframe I went on to paint the other components the same overall Med Grey. The 2nd color will be FS36118 Gunship Grey. Amazing what a difference once you start to lay paint. Some flaws will appear and some that you think will do not? Oh well Nothing that a little 600 sand paper can repair and well a little touch up is standard on these A-7's anyhow.

P1010380.JPG

Since the 2nd color will be an enamel based paint, I will let this sit either overnight or a week if I am not able to get to it in the next couple of days. A test shot on scrap shows no ill effect to the Xtracolor acrylic so far.

P1010381.JPG

It is really nice to sit and do a painting session with out any hiccups, like splatter, paint clogging and no runs. Will see when it is time to paint the 2nd color of this wraparound scheme.

P1010382.JPG

Next up some images after the 2nd color is applied, a view of the other components before we go to the decal stage.

More to follow....

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

With the new camera in hand (for some reason the other camera won't work) I was able to post some images this evening. This scheme is Med Grey FS26270 and Gunship Grey FS36118. Using Xtracolor Acrylics. The lighter grey sprayed rather nicely. The Gunship Grey fought me every step of the way.

a751001.JPG

Also applied the black panels using Xtracolor Black Acrylic.

a751002.JPG

I used Alclad Aluminum for the tail bare metal finish for the flying tail surface area.

a751003.JPG

Using Xtracolor Acrylic White to touch up the bay areas that had suffered a little overspray and edge the leading edge of the wings.

a751004.JPG

a751005.JPG

I will go back and sludge these a bit with some Burnt Umbar. Touch up the Avionics bay also.

Good thing no overspray within the cockpit area. Whew!

a751007.JPG

Next to lay down the clear coat and start decaling. Will do that as well as painting the A-7E this weekend.

More to follow

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

Well as the forums are back up. Will try to get some updated images of the A-7D as it stands. It will be close to the end. Decals have been applied, a little weathering added. So the next step is to Flat coat and then add the detail bits. Almost done. The A-7E, is partially painted and well let say Memorial Day is a

day off. Maybe somehow I can get both Corsairs completed.

Chuck

Fly Navy

With the decal state completed, the Flat Dullcoat applied using Polly Scale Flat Clear. It is now time to finish the final assy. But first a photo set before we get going right after the dullcoat application.

a751011.JPG

a751014.JPG

a751015.JPG

Finally have the Corsair standing on her own now with the gear installed sans wheels.

a751018.JPG

a751009.JPG

Next set of images will hopefully be this weekend when I complete the build on time, barely.

Chuck

Fly Navy

• 2 weeks later...

At least was able to finish the D for this GB, amazing how involving the final detail bits can get. Detail painting, antennas, ordinance, collision lamps, pieces coming off after moving the model around to get to a certain spot to attach fiddly part, sheesh. My other A-7 didn't even have a chance after painting the overall airframe. Just was to involved with this one. Anyway here it is the Ohio ANG's A-7D.

The first few images will show right after installing the droptanks and wheel assy's. Still need to add the leading edge slats, some bay doors and Steel Beaches Intake cover which I flubbed a little.

A751029.JPG

An overview of the airframe.

A751030.JPG

A751031.JPG

Going have to pop the exhaust tailcone off and adjust it.

A751032.JPG

Really enjoyed building this kit with the Eduards zoom set. The Aires cockpit set as nice it is, well with the

Eduards zoom PE you will save some dough (money). As this kit is not a cheap one even on Ebay.

A751035.JPG

Just a few images prior to the final product. More images to follow.

Chuck

Fly Navy

With a load of 8 Mk-82's along with 4 Mk.81's on a MER. Though I do not believe this unit with this aircraft ever went into combat. It is a nice load to haul though. Don't often like to model a clean aircraft, and the A-7 does look mean with warload on its hardpoints. A couple of images of the lower airframe.

a751037.JPG

a751038.JPG

Now is that a Bumble Bee or a Yellow Jacket on the tail? Either way it adds a little color to an otherwise drab gray scheme.

a751039.JPG

In haste in getting this done in time within the time frame, I did forget to install both Pitot tubes on the nose. I believe those are the last bits.

a751040.JPG

The SLUF does have a decent profile at this angle. What a career this aircraft had while in service. Really don't hear or read that much about it. One of those careers that was good enough.

a751042.JPG

Well this was a great opportunity to get a couple of A-7's off the stash and onto the shelf and share space with a Hornet, Phantom and a Mig-21 in 48th scale. With the "E" near completion and most likely completed in another week. Though not as hyped as the Tomcat GB last year, this was a nice change of pace, a fairly challenging kit but not as complicated as a Tomcat. Much easier to deal with and a lot of fun too. Thanks to Damian, Sabre and Simon L for moderating this GB. Good Job gang.

Images were taken with an Olympus SP-500UZ 6.0 meg Digital Camera. Don't leave home without it!

Chuck

Fly Navy

Edited by uscusn