OV-10 D Bronco (NOGS)

Hi Neil,

Any progress?

Pete

Not very much I am afraid, keeping on top of running the business has been taking far too much of my time up.

Still no white-metal u/c legs either; in fact I have toyed with the idea of issuing the resin gear bays on their own, which would mean that the modeller would then have to modify the kit u/c legs to fit them. In truth I am not entirely convinced if that would be a particularly clever thing for me to do though.

:)

Not very much I am afraid, keeping on top of running the business has been taking far too much of my time up.

Still no white-metal u/c legs either; in fact I have toyed with the idea of issuing the resin gear bays on their own, which would mean that the modeller would then have to modify the kit u/c legs to fit them. In truth I am not entirely convinced if that would be a particularly clever thing for me to do though.

B)

i would certainly purchase several! but then again you know that already :)

keep me posted neil

semper fi

Dan

• 2 months later...

Hi there sir Neil!!!

How's the NOGS project doing sir?

BTW, I finally got both of your great update/conversion sets and 2 testors kits to match, hopefully I can start on them by next week!

Neil

You sir are a God among men!! Some people just "have it". Between you and Mike Grant, I just get humbled. This is just amazing!!

Enjoy your holiday mate!!

Mike Reeves

Two Mikes Resin

• 1 month later...

Hey Neil,

First is I've got to say you are heaven sent for the works you've done for us Bronco fans. Great works!!! :thumbsup:

I have copies of your resin kits for the A & D and am just curious on when you may come out with those impressive wheel wells and maybe more add ons to the Testors Bronco. Do you have a sched. for the releases? My hands are itching to do the steads. Thanks! :cheers:

• 6 months later...
Hey Neil,

First is I've got to say you are heaven sent for the works you've done for us Bronco fans. Great works!!! :)

I have copies of your resin kits for the A & D and am just curious on when you may come out with those impressive wheel wells and maybe more add ons to the Testors Bronco. Do you have a sched. for the releases? My hands are itching to do the steads. Thanks! ;)

ditto on the wheel wells. Any word on these updates?

semper fi

Dan

• 5 months later...
Also, another stumbling block is the underfuselage gun turret (the domed/rounded type), desparately need pics or drawings of that. IF ANYBODY HAS CLEAR OR DETAILED PICS OF THAT TURRET, LET ME KNOW PLEASE!! -_-

yov-10d_canon_au_sol_small.jpg

M197drawn.jpg

M197hrdrw.jpg

Neil:

Wow, quite a project. I see the spider trap has caught another one... : ) There is/was a rather wide void in documentation

of what caught your and the eye of many others. It caught my attention back in 1996 when I did not find supporting data

for an FAI project. Your prototyping skills are fabulous. We could use your skill set in the radio control community !

exactl112.jpg

What was actually the YOV-10D was a return to KP Rice's and Bill Beckett's original concept of forward air support. Two

"A"'s were converted to an aggressive air support configuration by the USN and NAA for field trial during latter days of our

presence in SEA. It is not widely known that virtually all OV-10s had been removed from Nam at this time except for Navy

Spl Ops in support of the Delta Region Brown Water Navy, and test beds of the USAF Pave Nail along the trail both of which

were conducted virtually at the same time. Hint - hint there is a very aggressive USAF airframe out there also... The NAA

mules (BuNo155395 & BuNo155396) were placed in support of helo and boats patroling the lower river then turned loose to

hunt upstream...; )

Neil, you are actually assembling a full "option" NOS post SLEP (Service Life Extension Program). This is the actual A to D

conversion implemented in the 80's after a decision to upgrade to intelligent hard points and full raster FLIR with integrated

Laser Designator. This improved FLIR from Texas Instruments would find its way to the nose of all A6E's. YOV-10D's were

fit with Hughes "trash can" FLIR taken from B-52's by NWCL with no target designation laser.

155395%20YOV-10D%2018FEB71%20CLK%20LHL-155124.jpg

I see many posts to your thread where people have found my photos and documentation online. My trek for docs is in its

final stages. Gee I would hope so after all this time... : ) All color has been confirmed, prototype designations of systems

are identified, engineers, pilots, and crews interviewed, and editing the film "YOV-10D NOGS/NOS, Best Of Breed" begins. I

hear you saying to yourself...why did it take so long...? That's easy...there is a lot of contradictory information out there.

Most of which has proven to be incorrect since I began my search in 1996.

My daughter's film "One Tough Ride - The Story Of The OV-10 Bronco" was released in April during the OBA's Broncofest.

Her film covers the who and the why of the original OV-10 from its origin as a twinkle in KP's eye to its use and who flew it

in SEA.

My film picks up the story at the end of Nam and brings it forward to tomorrow morning.

Best%20Of%20Breed2Com400.jpg

What began as a search for documentation to replicate an OV-10 for which I could not find information has come full circle

and my 1/6th NOGS/NOS can be assembled from the various components made during my search for proof of minimum

documentation of what would eventually be disclosed as the YOV-10D. Thanks to folks contributing information... ranging

from retirees at NAA Columbus, Gunny Sgts at Yuma, to pilots who flew both mules...all documentation, film, and graphics

will be in the new OBA museum in Fort Worth which just moved to new facilities.

Edited by YOV-10DNOGS/NOS
Also toying with the idea of dropping the flaps (which are more complicated than they first appear!) and in

the past I have seen pics somewhere with the ailerons kicked and the corresponding upper wing spoilers

deployed while the aircraft is parked, may do that too. :monkeydance:

I know you are well beyond this point but thought someone might appreciate a side view of the flap and its

linkage. I have close up photos of this mechanism viewed from below with the door link disconnected from

the piano hinged bypass door.

10flap.jpg

Side view photo of inboard flap and door on a cobalt blue, red, and white chevroned State Department D+.

state_ov-10d_left_outboard_flap_x_section.jpg

door%20motion.jpg

door%20motion%20link.jpg

Partsallinbord.jpg

Rearsparboxdtail.jpg

Note the inboard edge aileron boost tab at edge of aileron.

Boostab100percentdeflection.jpg

Aileron boost tab at 100% deflection

Spoiler@fulaildeflec.jpg

Pop-up aileron boosters at maximum aileron deflection.

fulldown.jpg

Full down and in pocket aileron booster disk.

Fullextendisk.jpg

Over extended aileron boost disk to show actual shape and assembly.

Not very much I am afraid, keeping on top of running the business has been taking far too much of my time up. Still no white-metal u/c legs either; in fact I have toyed with the idea of issuing the resin gear bays on their own, which would mean that the modeller would then have to modify the kit u/c legs to fit them. In truth I am not entirely convi... :monkeydance:

Neil:

Thought I would provide the line art for the legs. I have 360 degree photo pak of same.

OV10Legsline.gif

The main above is the left main seen from the front and top, the right main seen from the inside.

Wow, some fascinating and usefull info there, thanks for posting! I really should dig this model out of it's box again and do some more work to it sometime, it's been stored away for far too long.

Much appreciated!! :beer4:

:rofl:

Wow, some fascinating and usefull info there, thanks

for posting! I really should dig this model out of it's box again and do some more work to it sometime, it's been stored

away for far too long. Much appreciated!! :) :woot.gif:

Neil:

I was a little worried you might think I was pouring too much into my reply... ; )

Its just a little witness to how excited I am to finally achieve closure on what to me was a huge, huge mystery. An itch that

I could not scratch...

I always make it a point to never replicate something someone else has. Its more or less exactly what sets composite and

upgrade plastic IPMS modelers from kit builders. Personalization and artistic witness....no, replication....YES! An expression

of realistic artistic skill.

This of course is the reward gained from quality research and documentation searches after you decide exactly what it is

you are looking for and "why". Too often someone sees a photograph and without even five minutes of research lurches

into a project for a whatever just to get barely on the building board and in your case...off the spru, to stall... This is

not to be preaching to the choir...just witnessing how bad it gets over here on the scale radio control side of things. Its the

biggest reason we fail to grow new competitive flying scale modelers. Piloting skills abound, but confidence in one's building

skills is less and less than it ever has been. Its to easy to say its getting the cart before the donkey...it is actually due to an

overall increase in the lack of mentoring and reductions in personal discreationary time (longer work hours, less time for a

wife and kids).

Enough whining...

The minimum detail line art I posted is not suffecient for use in FAI. There are NAVAIR drawings showing the legs in higher

detail. From what's been written I believe you already have these covered. If not all these images appear and X's are observed simply click "refresh" and they will appear... ; )

CloseNosegear640.jpg

maintopclosbar533.jpg

mainwbrakevu525.jpg

Nosegearclose4.jpg

Mainswbrakeopside2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I also have the Testors kit as well as a conversion set for the cockpit. Not real sure who makes it. It's molded in tan resin though. I really love how your model was coming together. You do really excellent work and I'm looking forward to getting those wheel bays off of you sometime. Hope you are able to get the time to work on it some more. Keep up the really excellent work.

Hi Neil

You post mentioned you were looking for reference material. I don't have the old Tamiya magazine you're after but I have a copy of the 100 edition Warplane supplement from the mid-1980s and that has an article on the OV-10D. Attached is a copy of the cut-away drawing that comes as part of it. The photos in the magazine are not great but if you want the full article, I'll scan it all and send it to you.

You're actually so close to me you could come and pick it up!

I could be even closer than you may think ...... I am actually from Wymondham. :thumbsup:

:taunt:

Cool - real local then! Sorry about the offer of reference material. Only after I sent my post did I realise the thread dated back 6 years! And I've seen the pictures of the finished OV-10. Fantastic. A genius lives just up the road from me.

I

Cool - real local then! Sorry about the offer of reference material. Only after I sent my post did I realise the thread dated back 6 years! And I've seen the pictures of the finished OV-10. Fantastic. A genius lives just up the road from me.

I

Thread does not date back 6 years, I started this one about 3 1/2 years ago, unfortunately alot of other things keep getting in the way and have not been able to get much further with it. It is far from finished I am afraid, pic below is how it stands as of today, cockpit has a coat of grey and needs painting and weathering (it is only dry fitted into the fuselage so will be removed in order to finish the cockpit properly, when I get around to it).

As of this morning this is how the model stands so far, very little progress......

100_0771.jpg

:huh:

• 2 years later...

Wonderful build, Neil, hope you're able to complete it. I'm starting a OV-10A, will use VMO-1 markings from the 1970s when my father was squadron CO at New River, North Carolina. Searching the web for your Paragon parts and will start it as soon as I locate them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Wonderful build, Neil, hope you're able to complete it. I'm starting a OV-10A, will use VMO-1 markings from the 1970s when my father was squadron CO at New River, North Carolina. Searching the web for your Paragon parts and will start it as soon as I locate them. Thanks for the inspiration!

Good luck on finding the paragon set for the 1/48 OV-10A, Neil closed up Paragon and some of his stuff is getting BIG money especially this update set. I sold mine for $145.00 on ebay, not that I wanted to but my daughter needed braces and that got me the most money, GOOD LUCK, I hope you can grab it for a half way decent price. Rob

• 4 months later...

Good luck on finding the paragon set for the 1/48 OV-10A, Neil closed up Paragon and some of his stuff is getting BIG money especially this update set. I sold mine for $145.00 on ebay, not that I wanted to but my daughter needed braces and that got me the most money, GOOD LUCK, I hope you can grab it for a half way decent price. Rob

That is for sure I been trying without much success so the alternative is duplicate Neil's work from scratch. I have a lot of questions. For most is I read that the tail booms are too close together so I have to find out how much I need to separate them. Any ideas?