OV-10 D Bronco (NOGS)

Hi Neil!

How is the project going? I still want some of those wheel wells! :)

Still not had enough time to finish the undercarriage legs I am afraid (running a business keeps getting in the way it seems !! :) :rolleyes: ). I will get them done. Once they are made I will also need to find somebody to cast them in metal for me, although I may make a trial set in resin just out of curiosity to see how they stand up to the weight.

Thanks for all the comments again folks.

:o

Hi Meil,

Have you done any experiments with inerting a wire into the part? Or more accurately, casting the part around the wire. I have seen it done by a few guys, usualy with bad results. I have done it with success though and the key (the difference) is that the examples I've seen looked like the caster just stck a wire in as the resin was liquid and there was nothing to locate the wire. When I did my experiment, I incorporated a positive locator mechanism (just a hole really) into the mold so that there would be no shifting of the wire.

Here's how I did it:

In the master, I inserted a brass rod the same diameter as the wire was going to be and let it stick out about .125" past the edge of the part.-

During casting, I inserted the wire that was to be the core of the finished part into the void made by the wire that was sticking out of the master. That held the insert in place while the resin set. Much the same as "coring" in metal casting, I just didn't remove the wire in the end. Well, actually, when i was casting tank tracks, I did remove the wire, but that's a different story.

Of course, your casting skills far far far exceed mine, but I figured that since I have done this, I might as well share.

Pete

MicroMark sells a casting kit that allows for casting of light/soft metals. You could combine Pete's idea with this kit, though i have never tried anything but casting resin copies of some old BB cockpits (for my own use only...)

try their site: www.micromark.com Search for "Casting" or a like term.

HTH

Anthony

Edited by AnthonyWan
  • 2 months later...
Hi Neil,

I saw you are back so my curiosity began to itch me...Anything new here?

Hi Mauricio

I have not had time recently to do much more to it, I reissued over 30 sets a month or so back and not had much chance to work on the Bronco. Running a business has been getting in the way again ! :thumbsup: I hope to add a few new pics in the near future though. (I also still need to find somebody reliable who can cast me the u/c legs in white-metal).

B)

May I ask where you got the two seat cockpit? The Testors model of the OV-10A that I bought only had a single seat, but room for the two seater. ???

My dad flew the OV-10 for the Air Force in Vietnam.

The two seat cockpit is included in both the OV-10A and OV-10D sets which I issued some time ago. Here's a general view of the contents of the D set:

137_3704.jpg

:thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi Neil!!, is impresive what you are doing to this bronco, i have one on my own but still`nt have the paragon set for updates, also my main idea is paint the model unarmed as the California Dept. of Fire uses i'm waitnig for this paragon set to start modeling my bornco.

A question ow do you solve the problem of weight?

well congratulations for you bronco and alrready waitng for the pics when is finished

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Any updates from Neil? Will there be a resin set in production anytime in the future?

This project was looking so good - it's sad to not see it completed...

Mike B

Yes, there will be one. Am on holiday at the moment and return to the UK next week, will be making an effort to get the u/c legs finished.

Also, another stumbling block is the underfuselage gun turret (the domed/rounded type), desparately need pics or drawings of that. IF ANYBODY HAS CLEAR OR DETAILED PICS OF THAT TURRET, LET ME KNOW PLEASE!!

:D

• 4 months later...