OV-10 D Bronco (NOGS)

Thanks again for the responces :thumbsup:

Greg, probably the main priority at the moment is to try and sort out some undercarriage bays and legs, don't know if you may have any line drawings relevant to them ? The bays in particular, the u/c legs may not be quite so much of a problem.

Kursad, I could have some decals sorted out possibly now, many thanks for offering anyway.

B)

Quick question...... I want the flaps dropped, and I have seen some good pics of the underside of the wing with the flaps dropped, showing the hinged plate on the lower leading edge of the flap sections which pivot down when the flaps are lowered. However, I know that there is also a narrow aerofoil section (vane ?) which is located above the upper leading edge of the flap sections...... I have marked some sections on the pic below in red, and the question is are these marked areas the aerofoil vane sections in the retracted position ? OR....... are these some fixed areas of the wing trailing edge which actually cover the aerofoil vanes when the flaps are retracted ?

Hope that makes sense, cannot quite tell from the photo's I have seen !

137_3707.jpg

:thumbsup:

Neil,

Here is a labeled photo to clarify.

Timmy!

Thanks for clearing that up, much appreciated. :D

Chopped out the flap sections and re-made one of the flaps and one aerofoil vane, I will not bother to scratchbuild the other three to go with them, it will be simpler to mould these ones and cast them in resin, they will all then be the same. Aeilerons have also been removed as these will also be repositioned (along with one set of spoilers at a later date) and the elevator has been fixed in it's approximate 'up' position.

Made a start at least ! :P

137_3709.jpg

:lol:

Neil,

I sure hope you're using this kit to make some masters for an upcoming flap/slats set!!!

:D

Curtis

If Neil would add two fuselage-halves, you´d barely need the original kit at all if you order the other Paragon-set as well :lol: :cheers:

István

Neil,

Probably you explained this an infinite number of times but here I go again...

How did you cut the resin pieces so perfectly? Are you using 2 wings (1 for the flaps and the other for the wing)? Or are you using the pieces from just 1 wing (using the flaps of the same wing)?

Sometimes I have problems cutting plastic and you cut resin perfectly square!

Neil,

How did you cut the resin pieces

I used one of those photo-etch saw blades (Airwaves I think) on this one, the trick is to deepen the cut line first with something like an Olfa cutter/scriber and then use the saw blade. The initial deeper panel line will help keep the saw blade straight, then once cut out, the edges can be tidied up with a fine file.

:explode:

Not had a great deal of time to spare recently, but managed to spend a few hours on it. Took a mould of the flap and aerofoil vane and cast a few copies of them (casting blocks still attached at the upper left of pic) and assembled four sets. The hinged plate on the leading edge of each flap is a strip of plasticard and the connecting/actuating arms are taken from several phot-etched brass sheets (the etched arms are actually lots of sway-braces for the torpedo used on the 1/72 TR33 Sea Mosquito's !!). Ailerons have also been re-attached and the resin prop blades have been fitted to the kit hubs.

Once I have enough info gathered I will make a start on the u/c bays and cast those in resin too.

137_3710.jpg

Still not found any definitive proof of the three greys used on the NOGS, so for the moment I have the three below kind of 'penciled in' for the job. They kind of look about right (ish !). If you know which grey's were used let me know !

137_3705.jpg

All for now.

:cheers:

Neil.

Fantastic work! You are really moving on your project - at least compared to mine. One note for you - it is a minor detail and may not be worth adding to your build. (This is admittedly a rivet counter thing). Here are two shots of an OV-10 with the "control lock strap in place. The trim tabs on the ailerons move opposite to the aileron. The Elevator trim tabs are split and the center portion moves opposite elevator throw. Also the right spoilers are in the up position. Just thought you would like to know - I hope the info is useful!

Timmy!

trimtab37tc.th.jpg trimtab22qh.th.jpg trimtab14db.th.jpg

I hope the info is useful!

Timmy!

Timmy, again thanks for posting pics, appreciated :thumbsup: . To be honest I hadn't taken much notice of the trim tab's.....a case of not seeing the wood for the tree's :P , I will put a little 'kick' to them. The starboard wing spoilers were going to be added close to the end of the build, with those things sticking up from the wing I could almost guarantee that they will be knocked off before it is anywhere near finished.

Cheers :banana:

:lol:

Made a start on the main u/c bays using a few pics from the 'net, some pics from Jim (mrvark) that he sent a while back and also Timmy's excellent 1/24 In Progress Bronco as reference. Most of it is simply plastic sheet and strip, and the 'roof' of the bays were made by supergluing a piece of 0.5mm sheet to a piece of cardboard with a hole in it, heating it over an electric fire then pushing a shaped male former into it. Worked quite well. (See first pic).

137_3711.jpg

Here's a close up of the main pieces, some of them partially assembled (still need some more pics to finish them off). The plan is to mould the bays when they are finished and cast them as one-piece items that will simply drop in place inside the tail booms before the wings are fitted, hope to do the same with the nose bay also. There are various pipes, tubes, struts etc inside the bays which will have to be added once they are in place, but at least the main 'bulk' of the bays will be just a drop-in thing.

137_3713.jpg

:crying: