OV-10 D Bronco (NOGS)

• 3 weeks later...

Still working on the undercarriage legs at the moment, but managed to make a few more bits. There are no underwing stores in the Testors kit, but I needed some drop tanks and thanks to Dimosthenis I received some drop tanks from the Monogram A37 Dragonfly in the post :thumbsup: . I assembled one of the tanks and removed all of the surface detail and added my own from plastic strip, Tamiya tape and filler points made with a punch and die set and plasticard, with a little bit of re-scribing too. Also chopped the tail off so that it could be moulded easier in two main pieces.

The modified kit parts are on the left in the pic, in the centre are a pair of resin tanks straight out of the mould and the six fins needed cast as one block, and on the right a pair of assembled tanks temorarily fitted to the resin underwing pylons. This thing is going to end up as more resin than plastic........ :cheers:

0v10tanks.jpg

B)

If you haven't heard USMC is considering rounding up OV-10s and reintroducing them to Iraq for Convoy overwatch:

The Marine Corps is looking at returning OV-10 Bronco aircraft to duty for use in Iraq.

The OV-10 was retired from US service in 1994, but many still operate in California as fire fighting assets. If returned to service, they would be used to augment surveillance of roads in Iraq.

Service officials have approached an association of retired OV-10 pilots to help identify aircraft and pilots that could be used in Iraq while the Marine Corps Warfighting Laboratory (MCWL) is examining the cost of reintroducing the Bronco to service and developing a concept of operations.

Marsh Aviation currently manages the inventory of the government-owned OV-10s on loan and would likely remanufacture 10 or 12 of the aircraft suitable for USMC needs.

Edited by Heyjoe

Thanks people..... :lol:

Once I get the undercarriage masters done, I will cast a few in resin just to see how they turn out. Though to be honest they really need making in white-metal (or brass ?) for maximum strength, never done any metal casting myself though. Will have to find somewhere to get them done I think. Resin undercarriage would be a little fragile methinks.

:lol: HURRY UP MAN!!! I cant wait.

Jack aka BUGFAN

Jack................

kungfu_1.jpg

:D :lol:

B)

Here is Graziano from Italy.

I have plans to build a Bronco NOGS in 1/48.

For this reason, I have already purchased the Testors kit, the update set by Neil/Paragon (for the OV-10A) and, additionally, I have acquired also the specific NOGS detail set by MISSING LINK.

Missing Link offer in resin the belly turret + fairing and the nose + some details.

For this reason, considering that I wish a NOGS not a regular OV-10D I have acquired the OV-10A set by Neil/Paragon, hoping of do not have made a big error.

An additional idea may be of to open the rear door to show the interior of the "trunk" but the problem is: where to find photographs of the interior "trunk" of the NOGS?

Here is Graziano from Italy.

I have plans to build a Bronco NOGS in 1/48.

For this reason, I have already purchased the Testors kit, the update set by Neil/Paragon (for the OV-10A) and, additionally, I have acquired also the specific NOGS detail set by MISSING LINK.

Missing Link offer in resin the belly turret + fairing and the nose + some details.

For this reason, considering that I wish a NOGS not a regular OV-10D I have acquired the OV-10A set by Neil/Paragon, hoping of do not have made a big error.

An additional idea may be of to open the rear door to show the interior of the "trunk" but the problem is: where to find photographs of the interior "trunk" of the NOGS?

Maybe this will help sir... :D

elecdoor.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Did anyone address the issue between the kit cowling with the single intake and the actual Broncos' cowling with the double-intakes, or were two different engines with different intake configurations used bewteen the varients?

Did anyone address the issue between the kit cowling with the single intake and the actual Broncos' cowling with the double-intakes, or were two different engines with different intake configurations used bewteen the varients?

The single intake was a prototype configuration. No production version thatI am aware of had a single intake. Certainly not the NOGS variate that built from a production A model.

HTH

Timmy!

Yes, the second intake is a resin section included in the conversion which sits above the existing engine, ahead of the wing leading edge. Pic below.

137_3740.jpg

B)

Neil,

Excellent work as always. I noticed on a previous post that you said some of the pats were fresh from the mold.

I am curious how soon you will be ready to share all these fantastic new parts with the rest of us Bronco fans?

I am in no great hurry I just want to be sure that I take out a new mortgage in time to buy all the new parts.

Just kidding!

Gary

Yes, the second intake is a resin section included in the conversion which sits above the existing engine, ahead of the wing leading edge.

:thumbsup:

Yeah, I had noticed that just after I'd posted. Don't know what I'd gotten into and eaten that day, but I was pretty squirrely that night, and probably should have stayed away from the computer. lol I was actually more curious if the single-intake ever appeared on the real aircraft, or if Testors had just completely botched it from stem-to-stern. Timmy answered that question.

Love your work, Neil, I can pretty much expect the instructions in your resin OV-10 kit to read: "Buy Testors' 1/48 kit for scrap plastic/humor's-sake, look at it, laugh/choke as appropriate, toss in waste basket, and while you're building the Paragon resin kit, remember how bad you could have had it!" I say just make your own resin booms and fuselage, as well, and sell it as a complete kit.

Neil,

I am curious how soon you will be ready to share all these fantastic new parts with the rest of us Bronco fans?

Gary

Gary, once the undercarriage legs are finished and in production. :huh:

Thanks for the comments again, all. :)

:)

• 4 weeks later...