I have this Walrus that has been laying around like this for a long time, I have tried to find a plane that can be documented as being used during BOB, have the warpaint Walrus book, search the net, Fleet ref. but no luck yet.

Can anybody help :thumbsup:

cheers

Jes

I think the idea of the BoB groupbuild is to build planes that saw combat.

The Walrus might have been around during the BoB but not in Fighter Command.

So to that respect the Walrus would not be a BoB plane.

That's just my opinion.Let the administrators decide.

Edited by erwin

Erwin,

The scope of the BoB GB we have is broad, I think we decided that any aircraft which took part in the Battle fighter/bomber/reconnaissance/coastal command and even ferry cargo planes are eligible. In whatever small way they played their part in the battle and we gladly accept them within the GB. The Walrus certainly played its part recovering downed pilots and returning them to active duty and they ran the risk of attack by enemy aircraft.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Jes,

I will do searching and see what I come with, your squadron is coming together well.

Doc

Erwin,

The scope of the BoB GB we have is broad, I think we decided that any aircraft which took part in the Battle fighter/bomber/reconnaissance/coastal command and even ferry cargo planes are eligible. In whatever small way they played their part in the battle and we gladly accept them within the GB. The Walrus certainly played its part recovering downed pilots and returning them to active duty and they ran the risk of attack by enemy aircraft.

Thats my take on it anyway.

Hi,

Please don't misunderstand my reply. I wasn't telling him he couldn't enter the GB. Who am I do deny anyone.

BTW,I just had a look at the list of planes that can be entered in the GB. The Walrus is there too.

I should have kept my moth shut in the first place. :wacko:

Sorry guys.

Edited by erwin

Jes,

Slim pickings regarding actual photos of the Walrus in service during 1940. I have found that FCM do a decal sheet for the BoB including the Walrus and list the aircraft as :- Walrus Mk.I, L5-N, Coastal Command

Here is the link for a review.

The decal sheet is FCM-HB7201 might be worth doing a search for it, Hannants show the sheet but not the Walrus.

HTH

Doc

Hello Doc

I have that decal set, and I have seen the Walrus, but I am alway a bit suspecius regarding the decal set information, unless they give references to sources.

To comment on the quality on the decals, they are very thick and unflexibile, but the prints are good.

Well think i will build the Walrus, a scheme might turn up along the way.

cheers

Jes

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jes,

while earlier than the Bob, two Walrus from the HMS Suffolk saw action during the Norwegian campaign, after reconnaissance spotting at Stavanger they flew back to landfall in Aberdeen. One of the aircraft, L2284 had been in the air for five hours...a record for a fully loaded Walrus. Evidently Walrus gunners had to defend their aircraft from Messerschmitts on more than one occasion.

The book 'The Supermarine Walrus' BY G.W.R. Nicholl is an account of the aircraft's operational service.

I've ordered a copy of the book, so if it shows anything specific I'll let you know.

Cheers, Jon

Edited by joncarrfarrelly