a Macross model I built a while back

I'm a huge SDF Macross fan (the original Japanese version, not the super hacked/f-ed up American version "Robotech") For the longest time I REALLY REALLY wanted to get a hold of the un-scaled Kaiyodo "Robot Museum #1" VF-1 Battroid valkyrie kit. It is a full resin kit and extremely hard to come by. A while back I managed to come upon a pair of recasts for sale. I'm good friends with the guy that casted them, and he said they were terrible work (he was right, both kits required a great deal of TLC to be usable), and he was only selling them for the cost of the resin he used. The end result? I wound up getting both for a grand total of $5 shipped ;). I later managed to pick up an original, but I don't know if I'll ever build that one, since they're so long out of print)

After some rough scale-figuring, the kit winds up being approximately 1/170 scale (I compared it to my really old and clunky-looking 1/170 scale VF-1D battroid, it's about the same height). You have the option of building it as either a VF-1A or VF-1S in either Super or Strike Armor (sorry TV series fans, it's a DYRL kit and is representative of the movie VF-1 block 6 valkyrie series). You have limited freedom in how you want the arms to look, but once you glue them in place, that's it. This is a statue, after all.

I built this a long time ago (3 or 4 years ago, before I developed any modelling skills). I built it up as a VF-1A Super Valkyrie in Hayao Kakizaki's colors (poor Kakizaki is so under-represented out of the squadron, so I thought I'd give him some lovin). It's completely hand-brushed (ages before I got my first airbrush). I'm in the process of building a little stand for it, as it doesn't stand for very long on it's own.

Edited by Skull Leader

here's the backside. I still have one of the recasts also, I don't know if I'll build that one or not, but if I do, it'll most likely be a VF-1S version. I may even install the double-action mauler beam-cannon and make it a Strike Valkyrie.

HI Skull Leader!!!

Great to see some macross kits over here.....sadly not very often but though

I´m also a macross fan... I´m building the hasegawa VF-1S "Strike Valkyrie" in battroid mode ... here are a couple pics of my work.

DSC03372.jpg

DSC03373.jpg

DSC03357.jpg

DSC03354.jpg

I still have plenty of work to do before getting this kit done. I hope you like it !!!

:banana:

I think the reason we see so few SDF Macross kits being built here is that for the longest time, there was a shortage of "quality" kits (or else you had to pay out the rear for B-Club/ Club-M/ Kaiyodo's/ Yellow Submarine's resin kits, for anything with any real size or detail to it). Hasegawa changed all that, making the first high-detail styrene Macross kits.

I keep telling myself I'm going to order one of those Strike battroid kits (doing it in a Hikaru paintscheme... long since my favorite), but I can never seem to find $30 to donate towards the kit. I'd also love to kitbash one of the battroid kits with the VE-1 Elintseeker kit to get a VE-1 battroid.

The posability on those battroid kits seems so nice, how is the fit for most of the parts?