Got this underway a couple of weeks ago, but it has only been in fits and starts. Here's the kick-off pic:

The kit is really pretty basic and probably not one of Matchbox's better efforts.

Peebeep

The cockpit is simply a gaping hole with a floor and a couple of seats. At the risk of getting rapped knuckles I decided to add a few bits. Black parts come from the kit, the rest is a few scraps of card and a blob of Milliput:

After a lick of paint:

I will put in some straps and call it a day. since my close vision is pretty poor at the moment (in need of a new prescription!) I can't be fussed with painting and adding the crew.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the nose cone. I trimmed off the retaining flange for the transparency as it would have been very visible. The side glazings were thinned down as much as possible, cemented in position then the whole lot sanded/polished. Unfortunately they still look naff. I may overpaint them in black. Then again, Oboe equipped aircraft often had all the nose glazing overpainted in camo.

Peebeep

Main fuselage assembled, with er, modifications (Mike and Thommo, don't look). The cockpit transparency is quite thick, so there is really no need to go overboard, but the otherwise empty space would have looked 'orrible.

Peebeep

Unprecedented (for me) progress today. Nose cone planted onto fuselage - lots of graft to blend it in. The parts fit is very poor. Fortunately the Mossie fuselage is virtually unblemished with panels etc, so you can file and sand to your hearts delight.

Peebeep

Wings assembled. The nacelle fit, like the nose cone needs a bit of work to get it all smoothed in. The undercarriage is very bland, completely lacking the 'plumbing' associated with the cable operated door retraction system. If this were'nt the Matchbox Madness GB I would have used the far superior parts from an Airfix kit (Hasegawa missed them too). along with the wheels.

Peebeep

The main bits all assembled. Wing joints have been filled with correction fluid applied with a pen type dispenser. Can I finish it before the year is out? Got to look for some grey primer now. I will also find out whether or not the nose glazing can be over-painted.

Peebeep

Edited by peebeep
  • 2 months later...

After much hassle the Mossie is completed. These are the things that didn't go to plan:-

Canopy framing: Masking went awry, plus I have difficulty with close vision. Ended up sanding off the framing, polishing the canopy and used painted decal strip frames.

Black paint: I used Revell anthracite which is a very dark grey, 'cos I like the effect it gives. I was brush painting and found that the paint was going off shortly after hitting the surface. I correctly guessed that any flaws would be concealed under a coat of Klear and finishing varnish.

Decals: AAArgh! I am familiar with the milky residue on Matchbox decal sheets, but this time it was visible under the clear film. Each decal was removed from the sheet and the rear surface swabbed to remove the gunge, then laid on the model onto a thin coat of Klear. Just to add insult the registration is not quite perfect.

Top coat: Still not satisfactory, there are some glossy areas that won't go away (carefully concealed in the picture).

U/cart doors: Why do so few kits have tabs to attach the doors? Grrr!

peebeep

Thanks Griffin. The colours and Klear were brushed on. Finishing coat of matt varnish was sprayed. I have found that this can be just as effective as spraying all the coats.

peebeep