What do YOU think Trumpeter should do next in 1/72 ????

Tu-22M2 Backfire

FC-1/JF-17

F/J-7 Series

I personally think those are quite realistic possibilities from Trumpeter in the next year or two. Perhaps slightly less likely but equally wanted are the following:

Mig-29 Series, including the K!

Su-27 Series (esp. Su-33, Su-35)

Yak-141

Also interesting to see if they are planning on any more 1/144 subs, but thats for another forum!

Here is an honest question to the guys who are asking for 1/72 C-5s, C-141s, C-17s, KC-10s, do you really think that there is that big a market for these aircraft where a massed produced kit would make money for the manufactures, oh I know YOU will buy one but are there that many of you out there to justify the expense of molds that would be very big and expense?

Or to put it another way, would you invest your life savings in to a venture to pruduce these kits?

Regards

Jim Barr

Aside from my 72nd want list, I think its interesting to note how these "What would you like to see" threads of late are addressed to Trumpeter. It would appear that for modern subjects anyway, Trumpeter is blowing everybody else away, and not just in 72nd scale. I think its mainly the fact that Trumpeter has the "apples" to do subjects that the other guys swear wouldn't sell. It looks like the once mighty Tamiya has rested on their laurels a bit too long?

Anyway, here's what I'd like to see done in 72nd scale:

1) F-106A/B A new tool kit is WAY overdue (32nd scale too!)

2) F-102A/TF-102A same comments as F-106

3) F-101 single seater series

4) T-2C Buckeye Trainers just get no respect

5) Lightining F.1-F.6 Has to be the coolest British design ever ;0)

Okay, and while I'm wishing.....

6) new tool F-5E/F The Italeri/Testors kits are okay, but this is a wish list right? Fred K.

XB-70 Valkyrie

and

Sukhoi T-10 (100) as its counterpart

Complete the line of russian bombers

3M, Tu-22, Tu-22 M1/M2/M3

Accurate Sukhoi Flanker family

Accurate Mikoyan Fulcrum family (Although I hate those F-names NATO has given to those birds)

Petlyakov Pe-8

But why Trumpeter? I don't care much who the manufacturer is if the kit is fine and accurate.

Here is an honest question to the guys who are asking for 1/72 C-5s, C-141s, C-17s, KC-10s, do you really think that there is that big a market for these aircraft where a massed produced kit would make money for the manufactures, oh I know YOU will buy one but are there that many of you out there to justify the expense of molds that would be very big and expense?

Or to put it another way, would you invest your life savings in to a venture to pruduce these kits?

Regards

Jim Barr

I guess we could say the same thing about the F-107 and TU-160?? It's like anything - they will sell if they're good enough as us modellers nowawdays are "hoarders" and tend to pick things up when available...at least that's what I keep telling myself when I acquire stuff!!

Chris St Clair

Regards

Jim Barr

FOr the most part yes, if you open up to a worls wide field.

A C-5A, C-141 and C-17 are well loved aircraft and modellers I believe would come in droves to buy them

As to others like the B-1B and B-52 family

They already have been done but in the case of the B-52 they take so much work to make them look half way right then yes I think if a company put their helmets on the production it would pay off.

The B-1B kits from Monogram and Airfix are inacurate to the point you can see the problems are clear as a barn door once built.

The best way to build a nice B-1B is to buy both kits cut them to pieces and a model from those cut down sections, there is an article if you google that tells you how to, but why would you bother buying a still popular Monogram or Airfix kit when you can buy a kit and build it out of the box without a problem.

In short, the market is ready for acurate renditions of kits already out there, and

People like big models!

I hope to see these espically!:

• Chengdu J-7E/G

• Chengdu J-7C/D

• Nanchang Q-5III

fc-1

jh-7

j-11 :D :D

woudl be msot logical coming from trumpeter also, they have them in 72nd a 144

Not necessarily Trumpy, I'd go for anyone who'd do'em accurately :D

SAAB F/TF/RF-35 Draken. Tool it right, you'll have all three in the same tooling, possibly in the same box.

Accurate F-15E Strike Eagle. If they're real good, they'll include options for I, K and S versions.

Fully injection moulded big-spined Viper. Include CFTs too, and options for D, I and F versions.

TF-104G Starfighter (a re-release from somebody would be quite ok too)

(not sure about this one, I might remember wrong) Accurate MiG-31

:D

I guess we could say the same thing about the F-107 and TU-160??

Well, while I agree that the F-107 is very esoteric, it is a "small" kit and the investment is not anywhere near what it would be for the big transports. I am on the borderline in regards to the Tu-160 it is a "warplane" and very neat looking and it is BIG, but I also keep thing back to all the surveys that wanted YB-35s, YB-49s and XB-70s and AMT gave them to us, and shortly thereafter you could find them for a song in the discount places and then AMT went under. And those were some very cool looking aircraft, just a thought.

Regards

Jim Barr

Regards

Jim Barr

Jim, they did a 1/24th Spitfire Seaplane. How many of those are they going to sell? Think the big cargo planes will find their target. Lots of pilots flew these things and you can't find a decent kit to build.

Cargo wise I would like the C-5 and C-17, possibly the KC-10, a good set of KC-135's (with no wing issues), an IL-76. Would also like some 72nd Airliner kits to make the military versions like the DC-9 and 737 and a 747 to finish my Odd couple with my 72nd scale Shuttle.

How about a Gannet? They did the Wyvern, think the Gannet would sell better.

Would also like new tools of the 102 and 106 but not sure I want them from Trumpeter. Would like Revell to scale down the 48th scale kits with a little better fit.

Edited by Philp
And I agree with pin, why Trump when any accurate kit will do?

Because Trumpeter is the only one releasing new kits of modern aircraft in any significant volume. They have also shown that they will kit some out of the norm aircraft.

Regards,

Murph

A C-5A, C-141 and C-17 are well loved aircraft and modellers I believe would come in droves to buy them

I keep thinking Monogram Ju-52, ask for in all the surveys, was a great kit and yet was one of Monograms all time worst sellers.

The bomber you mention fall into a different category in my book but see by reply to Chris for my thoughts on big bombers.

Regards

Jim Barr