I too am watching closely Pierre ( as per usual with all your works).A good idea indeed ,I should have dawned on me to use such a foil .....I am surrounded by the stuff.I used it one time to create the metal lip on the intakes of an L-39 Albatross...worked out very well.As I work in the ventilation industry, this product is common place.The product in question should be readily available in the heating section of hardware stores...and of note there are different types.One version is very bright & shiny ,the other a little less so.One brand has a white paper backing,the other a brown.In our industry ,ducting is commonly insulated with foil back insulation ( both ridgid & batting ) and this type of tape is used by insulaters to attatch and close the ends etc....we on the otherhand use it to seal high pressure duct and then cover over with a duct sealer, also good for sealing leaks....( an BMF finishes on DC-3) :cheers:

One version is made by : Venture Tape , Rockland ,MA. 02370-0384 USA Fax. 781-871-0065

www.venturetape.com

The other version (less bright w/ white backing) is what we use,and probably a better choice ,but alas,I haven`t an address of the mnfg.

Of note, the Venture tape brand (although I`m sure there are other versions made by them) is extremely tacky.

HTH

Paul T

Does this stuff behave any differently than standard Bare Metal Foil? I really want to try this now!

Also, how/where do you get a rivet wheel like that?

Incredible work, as always Pierre. :cheers:

Edited by JohnG

I have not used the self adhesive "Bare Metal Foil" sold in hooby stores for this purpose , but I may guarantee you the two I am familiar with (the ones we are speaking of on the roll) are ,I would say, "aggressively" sticky.Much more so than the Bare Metal Foil.

Paul T

Outstanding job Pierre! I've got what I'm sure is a repeat question for you. Your "Rosie Riveter" wheel, is that available commericially or is it something you've invented? Like everyone else, I've got rivets that need attention on some kits.

Cheers

With reference to the aluminum tape....I spent some time and money this afternoon and got some of the non-reinforced aluminum tape similar to the stuff Pierre is using and along the same lines as PaulT mentioned...and it goes on easily enough in small sections but it is very thick in comparison to Bare Metal Foil.

My DC-3, Air Force 1000, has been sanded down and the panel lines scribed using a finely honed dental pick. The tape product does not show the panel lines as would the BMF product!

And a tip to anyone doing a fuselage with the aluminum tape...start at the bottom of the fuselage and work up both sides to the top so that you get the proper overlap of the skins. I'll play with this stuff a bit more and post pics later.

Barney

Projet intéressante!

Où est-ce que tu achète se Kip band?

skyraider

Ps: Et le Beaver??

The Beaver's status became again "future project". As for the tape, I bought it at Hornbach. Alternatively you can order it from here. Or I might bring you some on your next stay at GVA

Tschüss,

Pierre

Looking great Pierre :(

I bet your looking forward to applying foil to the nose :woo: Any ideas yet how you will attack it? Triangular cut strips possibly or one whole piece of foil wrapped around and coaxed into place.

Looking forward to more pictures.

Doc