...What are the x's marked in pencil for?

Oh, that is just to mark a panel. All X's will be covered with a single aluminum sheet. There are so many tiled panels, each with "subpanels", that it gets difficult to guess where a panel starts / stops.

Edited by Scalephantomphixer
Pierre, I'm watching this one very closely. I'm thinking of maybe doing my 1/100 DC-10 with foil instead of paint. How did you do it, kitchen foil and superglue? Did you go one panel at a time? I tried using BMF sheets in the past and they did not turn out well at all, but I think that I was just laying the foil down without regard to other pieces or panel lines, so they overlapped and it looked bad. Thanks a million for the help!

-Brady

Brady,

The foil is autoadhesive. I found it in the plumber's section of a hardware store. One panel after the other is the rule. It helps dealing with the compound curvature problem. Each panel is laid over the provious one, and trimmed along the border line (which happens to be the panel line).

HTH,

Pierre

Here comes a short "HOW TO" pictural description of applying BMF. As already said, the foil is autoadhesive.

STEP 1: cut a piece, larger than the area to cover

DSCN0505_modifi__-1.jpg

STEP 2: check that it largely covers the panel

DSCN0506_modifi__-1.jpg

STEP 3: remove the back paper

DSCN0507_modifi__-1.jpg

Edited by Scalephantomphixer
German only, sorry. But here is the reference: Kip

I love Babelfish translations. :blink:

344 Kip aluminum volume PP vaporizes

Aluminum-vaporized PP foil. To the masking with tape with tape of aluminum-laminated isolation plates or volume acting of isolation materials.

:worship:

The aluminum tape looks like it is fairly thick. There is a similar product in North America used by the auto repair people and aircraft re-finishers, as a masking tape although without the paper backing.

I'll look into the matter tomorrow and see what I can come up with.

Now if only the Madman could com up with "raised" rivets instead of the punched holes......

Barney

Now if only the Madman could com up with "raised" rivets instead of the punched holes......

Barney

This is a pleasure to watch Pierre. Another Masterclass in the model makers art. :rofl:

The finish is superb but I bet you have to be careful of hairs, dust.....etc, eh? If you get anything trapped under the foil it would show...... :blink:

Thanks for the detailed "How to.." pics. Very illuminating.

Have you considered using the rivetting wheel on the back of the foil before you remove the paper backing?

It would produce raised rivets which would flatten slightly when burnished to give an even more realistic look. Just a thought...... ;)

Keep up the great work. :cheers: You really are a "Madman" but in a GOOD way!!

:rofl: