1/48 Hasegawa A-4N Skyhawk

Here are some pics of a kit that I'm building for a customer. It's Hasegawa's 1/48 A-4N Skyhawk, in IDF camo and markings.

I usually build only WW II aircraft, but I'm quite impressed with this kit. The level of detail is exceptional. The kit is OOB, with a True Details resin seat. The camouflage was airbrushed freehand with Gunze Sangyo acrylics. It has been glossed with Future in preparation for the decals, which will be applied Monday.

skyhawk015.jpg

skyhawk016.jpg

skyhawk017.jpg

Pics of the cockpit and nose gear well can be found HERE

Thank you Alby, aidy, smithery, claude, and Super Hornet !

Alby - the kit doesn't come with ordinance, but my customer has the Hasegawa weapons sets. He will add some Mk. 82s to it. The large drop tanks have been built and painted, and will be added in the final assembly.

aidy - I guess you weren't expecting to see a post-WW II "gaspasser." My interest is 1/48 WW II aircraft, but I'll build just about anything for a customer. Kinda nice to build something different for a change.

claude - I used the colors recommended on the instructions. They are:

H 310 (brown)

H 312 (green)

H 313 (tan - Gunze calls it "yellow")

H 314 (blue)

I received an email from someone saying that the shade of green is incorrect. Perhaps it would have been better sent to Hasegawa, as I only followed their suggestions. I like the way the colors look, and most importantly, so does my customer.

Thanks again !

claude - I used the colors recommended on the instructions. They are:

H 310 (brown)

H 312 (green)

H 313 (tan - Gunze calls it "yellow")

H 314 (blue)

I received an email from someone saying that the shade of green is incorrect. Perhaps it would have been better sent to Hasegawa, as I only followed their suggestions. I like the way the colors look, and most importantly, so does my customer.

Thanks again !

Bill,

That green is correct (so Hasegawa has it listed correctly). The color is FS34227 Light Green;

http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorserver/s...or.asp?fs=34227. Early model Skyhawks (A-4H/F and some N models) were delivered in FS34258 Willow Green, but as they went through SDLM they were repainted in the shade you have on your model (which was the standard post Six Days War scheme used on other IDF/AF aircraft of the time). The confusion may come from the fact that IDF/AF F-16s, F-15I, and later schemed Kfirs currenty use FS34424 Green Gray.

Again, fantastic job on the camo scheme! :thumbsup:

Cheers,

Hi Bill,

Ah, a subject near and dear to my heart (blow torch model and IDF/AF markings)! :D Great job on the camo, you nailed it quite nicely. What is going on it ordnance wise?

Cheers

I knew Alby would love this one! :thumbsup: Great job Bill (both the model and the photos)!

Thanks Bill, Alby, Iron Eagle, Mike, nightrain, and D_IcarUS_ !

Alby - thanks for the info ! I didn't pay too much attention to the email, but it upset me. The only comment that was made was about the "incorrect" green color. Just another "expert" on a fault-finding mission. I'm sure glad I don't do that to anyone !

Iron Eagle - I have a GREAT camera (Canon PowerShot G5), and I've had a few semesters of photo. The countless hours in the darkroom really helped me learn about light and shadow.

nightrain - it IS a beauty of a kit, isn't it? The detail in the wheel wells is outstanding. I like your build also !

Thanks again !

Thanks AD-4N and Brutalos !

AD-4N - I thin Gunze acrylics with isopropyl alcohol (91%). I start out at two parts paint to one part alcohol, and test it. I add more alcohol, a drop at a time, to the color cup until I get a fine line without spatter. I add a drop, then spray out what was in the feed line, and test. It uses more paint this way, but I can get it just the way I want it. I use a low pressure (under 20 psi, sometimes as low as ( with enamels), since I spray about 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from the surface and move the airbrush slowly. I don't do a formula for the mixes, since it can vary by bottle. I just test until it works.

Brutalos - I like the pic in your signature. I built THAT KIT also.

Thanks again !

Yes, indeed! I remember your P-61 well :-). I have presented my widow in some various pics here as well in the prop section!

I always admire your models, clean, swift and excellent painting. Keep the modelling madness flow!! :)

Thank you Brutalos and MaRiO !

Brutalos _ I don't build that fast, I just have a LOT of time to build. Most 1/48 single-seaters take me about 100 hours, but I spend 30 to 50 hours a week at the bench, with a few projects going at a time. I enjoy the added challenge of building clean. You can't hide the flaws, and the ones that remain look HUGE.

MaRiO - adding the decals is one of my favorite parts of building. Assembling the airframe makes it look like an aircraft, painting it brings it to life, and the decals give it personality. It's a sad time also, because the end of the build is in sight.

Thanks again !

Edited by BillL