Forthcoming Su-35 conversion for Academy Su-27 kit

I realise that there is a huge interest from the modelling community regarding the latest SU-30-33-35-37 family in 1/48 scale. I can not understand how all the major manufacturers missed that gap. So many people are willing to go through (modelling) "hell" to scratchbuilt these variants, even pay "big" money for resin conversions and still the results to be less than acceptable(my case).

An answer please... from the manufacturers...

The issue is not getting better, is it?

If someone has some extra silicon and spare time drop me a line. Both sets lie in one of my shelves and I don't see them getting some love in the near future.

I have no time and patience for this now.

At the moment I'm trying to find a part of my body that does not hurt. accidents suck.

I'm going to stop moaning, say good night to you Flankerlovers and go to bed!

best regards

btw: Always look over your shoulder when turning, there might be a cyclist!

Before we get into near-fantasy planes, could we address the MiG-29 family in 1/48 beyond cockpit/nose/exhaust accessory market? This is the Russian F-16, IMO, and you're choices are an early 'looks like a' MiG-29 and an early 'close to a' MiG-29. No M conversion. A trickle of ordnance. Crimeny! :)

The problem there is that the M would require all new wings, elevons, a new cockpit, new nose, new canopy/windscreen, the part to represent the beavertail, it would even require a new upper-fuselage because of how fundamental the change in spine shape is. You would literally only use about 35% of the kit's plastic, and a conversion that involved is asking for another ATTIC F-16XL IMO. I agree with you 100% about a MiG-29M/K/M2/'new' K/ and MiG-35, but the only way we're seeing one is if a manufacturer does it in plastic.

The problem there is that the M would require all new wings, elevons, a new cockpit, new nose, new canopy/windscreen, the part to represent the beavertail, it would even require a new upper-fuselage because of how fundamental the change in spine shape is. You would literally only use about 35% of the kit's plastic

see: SOL resin conversion sets.

The problem there is that the M would require all new wings, elevons, a new cockpit, new nose, new canopy/windscreen, the part to represent the beavertail, it would even require a new upper-fuselage because of how fundamental the change in spine shape is. You would literally only use about 35% of the kit's plastic, and a conversion that involved is asking for another ATTIC F-16XL IMO. I agree with you 100% about a MiG-29M/K/M2/'new' K/ and MiG-35, but the only way we're seeing one is if a manufacturer does it in plastic.

Well, since the Trumpeter already issued MiG-29M and K in 1/32, if everybody starts buying that kit in large numbers (say 25 at least), Trumpeter might see it fit to make the HobbyBoss issue the same kit in 1/48 and voila - problem solved (if you don't get bankrupt in the process). I already have one, 24 to go then (at the rate I'm going, we might reap the benefits already in 2050).

Edited by ijozic

Didn't realize the changes required were that comprehensive. Say , new wings, new cockpit, new etc. - that sounds like the Monogram Fulcrum to me. maybe they DID know what they were doing. ;-) I didn't know the Trumpeter kit was an M. I think by the double secret handshake between Trumpeter and Hobby Boss that HB is obigated to produce it in 1/48. Well, if there's a bigger travesty, I don't know what it is. It's like kitting an F-4B and then stopping. Where the heck are all those wonderful Eastern European manufacturers on a kit like this, to say nothing of a decent, affordable weapons set - or three? All we need is some Russian "VF-103 Guy" to pre-, post-, and simul-shade one, brush it in real Siberian dirt, and get everyone hot to build one.

Here I was thinking that there was some kind of news, and what we really have here is a REALLY old thread getting resurrected from several years back.

As for everyone crying about these "missing gaps" - we need to not think of them as missing gaps, as almost none of the types that have been discussed here - Su-27 or MiG-29 variant - have seen any sort of full production or deployment, either in Russia or beyond. While the aircraft, by themselves, are very interesting, it would be very difficult for a modeling company to justify tooling up a completely newly tooled kit for these types (Trumpeter, of course, continues to defy explanation) when they're only prototypes.

That would be like asking for new kits of the F-16XL, A-6F, A-12, and similar. All very interesting and worthy subjects, but in the end, not production types.

If you want to complain about kits not being available, particularly of Russian types, then let's focus on some real gaps like the MiG-21F-13, MiG-23/27, MiG-25, MiG-31, and the long lost Trumpeter Su-24 - now there are some gaps that need to be filled. Production types with absolutely nothing available in any sort of credibly tooled kits (at least in 1/48) - sure there are some out there, but they're hugely inaccurate, or flat unavailable - how is it that we've NEVER had a 1st gen MiG-21 in 1/48 scale? NEVER?! Hopefully it will finally come from Hobby Boss, based on the Trumpeter 1/32 kit - but why has it taken this long?

So while I have some interest in the latest Flanker and Fulcrum variants, it would be FAR more important to me to finally get a credibly tooled MiG-31 in 1/48 scale...

Call me crazy...

There are a lot of Russian jets that have never been put out as models. If they had come out I probably would still be acquiring. I've been looking for the MiG 31, Su-24 and a retooled MiG 23/27 with accurate cockpits. With the captures or purchases of several of these aircraft by U.S. forces, we don't need to be relying on Eastern Bloc model companies to produce an accurate MiG 23 or MiG 27. Revell could have produced a MiG 27 or MiG 23 from the East German aircraft that they were flying for some time (unless they were shipped back to Russia by East Germany, in exchange for MiG 29s).

As for everyone crying about these "missing gaps" - we need to not think of them as missing gaps, as almost none of the types that have been discussed here - Su-27 or MiG-29 variant - have seen any sort of full production or deployment, either in Russia or beyond. While the aircraft, by themselves, are very interesting, it would be very difficult for a modeling company to justify tooling up a completely newly tooled kit for these types (Trumpeter, of course, continues to defy explanation) when they're only prototypes.

Su-33 and especially su-30 are full production aircrafts.