188th Fighter Wing:F-16's to A-10's

I notice Ft Smith, AR's 188th fighter wing is having an airshow in March. I am hoping they will still have the F-16's, anyone know when they are switching to the A-10's?

Also, a couple of weeks ago I was going through some old airshow tapes I have. There was a F-16 in the video with the tail code "OS". I was wondering which base this F-16 was from, I believe the year of that video is 1989 at Richards-Gebaur AFB.

Having grown up with the AANG flying F-16s, they're gonna be missed... but getting A-10s is WORLDS better than the alternatives (Tankers, UAVs, or worse, disestablishment). It will be interesting to see if the tails get any unique markings (they ARE the "Flying Razorbacks" after all).

I'll be there for the airshow in march... hoping they have something decent besides the thunderchickens to watch....

I am sure that they will get A-10C's. Why transistion everyone to a new airframe and then a year or so later have them learn a new A/C again. Because as we have been told once the aircrew get qualified on the "C" model they won't fly the "A" model anymore (at least tacticly)

Happy New Year

Craig

but getting A-10s is WORLDS better than the alternatives (Tankers, UAVs, or worse, disestablishment).

There are (actually were) 5 guys in my shop that drove down to Andrews from the Pittsburg area to finish their careers. Back when they were expecting to get F-16s or A-10s to replace the A-7s they had at the time. But when they went to 135s, the was no more jobs for bomb loaders, so they came to Andrews. The last guy just retired a few months ago. I've been there for 12 years and they had been there for several years before I got there.

Yeah, OS is out of Osan (K-55?), the 51FW. They were to Korea for the war and never came home. Too bad, they could not have adopted the F-86s yellow fuselage band and checkerboard tail to the F-16s. Are there F-16s at Osan anymore?

F-16s being replaced...it's just not right. B)

Chappie

Edited by Chappie
Having grown up with the AANG flying F-16s, they're gonna be missed... but getting A-10s is WORLDS better than the alternatives (Tankers, UAVs, or worse, disestablishment)

Aren't The Boys From Syracuse (174th FW) trading in their Vipers for Predators?

The 188th sent a couple of Vipers here this past October for our airshow. It was interesting, they were parked directly across from two Missouri ANG F-15s and a PA ANG A-10 - all on the BRAC list.

I am definitely going to this airshow. It will probably be the last for the F-16's, and there was not a show last year. They put on an awesome show the last time, so I expect since it is the last they will go all out. It will be kind of cool though to see them in the Razorback form with A-10's, kind of fitting. The only bad thing about this is that for MO, KS, and AR now, there really isn't any fighter ANG unit. I just now started being able to see all of the F-16 ANG squadrons, and now they are going away. I'm taking lots of pictures at this show.

Paul

Since this will probably the last time to see ArkANG Vipers, I'll try to attend the show. Wonder if the A-10 will recieve the Razorback as well.

Jeff

Do I smell "road trip"? John and I were planning on attending the show and then staying at my place in Russellville... you're welcome to come with us if you want!