Question re USAF Unit Titling

Question for all you USAF experts: some aircraft have/had the squadron designation on the port side of the fin, eg "493 TFS" on this F-111 on an Xtradecal sheet I have (http://www.hannants.co.uk/search/?FULL=X00648). However, on the starboard side it says not "493 TFS" but "493 AMU" - same number but different acronym. I've also seen a similar thing in the Hasegawa F-16B, so I don't think it was something unique to that subject.

Whilst we probably all know what "TFS" means, can anyone tell me and the rest of the ARC community what "AMU" means in this context?

TIA and Happy New Year,

Marcel is correct, AMU stands for Aircraft Maintenance Unit. Basically, every FS has an AMU responsible for their aircraft. The AMU is attached to the FS, but not really subordinate to them (they report to an AMXS...aircraft maintenance squadron). The numbering is usually kept consistent, ie the 43rd Fighter Squadron works with the 43rd AMU. There are, however, exceptions.

If you see the designation AMU, you're looking at something that's either relatively dated (very early 90's or before) or recent (from 2003 on). AMU's went away for most of the 90's, when the Mx functions were integrated into the FS, and the FS commander had a Director of Operations and a Mx Officer as his deputies.

Once the AMXS stood back up, the AMXS has its own squadron commander, and the individual AMUs have AMU chief's (usually an O-3).

-Waco

If you see the designation AMU, you're looking at something that's either relatively dated (very early 90's or before) or recent (from 2003 on). AMU's went away for most of the 90's, when the Mx functions were integrated into the FS, and the FS commander had a Director of Operations and a Mx Officer as his deputies.

A classic example of that popular military pastime: reinventing the wheel. :lol:

Regards,

Murph

Marcel & Waco,

Many thanks, I knew that someone here was bound to know. The F-111 in question was certainly late 80s/early 90s.

Happy New Year to you and all here,

Michael

While on the subject of that decal sheet does anybody know where I can get the long wing version of the GBU-15, together with the AN/AXQ-14 data link pod in 48th scale

The Electro Optical Bomb that earnt the 493rd the name

Didn't Isracast just do these?