UH-1H Weapons Mounts

Forward mounts?? Aft mounts?? Not on any Huey's I'm familiar with. The Huey's I flew had mounts only near the aft end of the sliding cargo door, what we call the doorgunner/crewchief's well.

I've seen a lot of Hueys.

Bo Roberts

On B & C models, the two mounts were combined into one fairly large mount, while the crew chief/gunner used a "free" M-60 suspended by a stout bungee cord. On D/H models, most were equipped with a "pintel mount" for the 60, with the normal trigger assembly being replaced with a .50 style set of handles. It was mounted in the aft position, directly outside the gun well on both sides.

That Aussie set-up looks odd to my old US Army aviaition eyes, but I have no doubt it worked quite well.

Fly Army,

Jim

According to the Squadron/Signal UH-1 Huey Gunship Walk Around book and UH-1 Huey In Action book, the South Vietnamese also used D/H Gunships, but I don't know if they used the same configuration that the Aussies used on their Bushrangers.

FWIW, the 1/72 AMT UH-1D/H comes with RAAF decals, pylons, and weapons to do a Slick in a gunship configuration.

Cheers

Edited by Alby Moore

USArmy special birds that may have used that weapons pylons were compant maintenance (recovery) birds mounting non-standard weapons such as the .50cal M-2HB and firefly birds, etc. You may wish to check out the following Squadron books also "Huey", "Air War over SEA Vol's 1, 2 & 3", "Airmobile", and "UH-1 in Color"

Edited by grandadjohn
  • 2 months later...