FM Millenium Falcon query:

I've built the old AMT kit and started wtih FS Gull Grey as a base color and than post-shaded darker variations. This was too dark a base color.

I'd reccomend starting with somthing lighter like FS Camoflage Grey.

The FM paint guide recommends FS Light Gray, which can be found in the Testors Model Master line. That color and Camo Gray are two colors that I love using for off white spaceship colorings. Gull Gray is too dark IMHO, especially after weathering it.

The first A-Wing I did, years ago, was started in Camouflage Gray, and it looked good at first but a few years later it had become far too dark. So now it's been rebuilt/repainted, with a mix of white tempered with Camouflage Gray...looks almost perfect now. CG was a great weathering shade in the airbrush, though, along the panel lines.

• 4 weeks later...
OK i used a mixture of a small amount of deck tan added to a whole jar of Tamiya matt white. I think it looks more or less spot on. There are pictures in my build thread.

Something like that would be my guess. I built an MF several years ago and took the Star Wars Chronicles Book as a reference. Looks like some very(!) light tan with some very light grey added, almost white...well, how can I describe it? All the dark stuff is basically wear and tear, dirt and such, namely weathering.

István