Babylon 5 vs Star Trek

ST:TOS

The rest are just pretenders. Can't stand Voyager, myself.

B5 is good stuff. Ms. Christian can order me around ANY DAY.

Just finished the 1st season of Battlestar Galactica. DAMN good stuff. On to season 2 hoping they don't fall into the same stale traps most long-running series do.

Own all nine seasons of The X-Files. Yeah, baby!

About the only star-trek stuff I'm a real fan of are the original movies (1-6), the occasional NG movie ("First Contact" was good), and TNG. I can't claim to have seen TOS from beginning to end, but I was always at the TV when it was time for TNG to come on.

I always thought B5 was just a spinoff of DS9 (of which I enjoyed the first season or so, but quickly wore thin after that)

• 2 weeks later...
I always thought B5 was just a spinoff of DS9 (of which I enjoyed the first season or so, but quickly wore thin after that)

My thoughts exactly. B5 came out when the ST franchise was hale and hearty, and it appeared to be riding on the coat tails of DS-9. As to any comparisons, Star Trek IS puritanical! (Starfleet technology found cures for both inertia and sex a long time ago!) :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...
My thoughts exactly. B5 came out when the ST franchise was hale and hearty, and it appeared to be riding on the coat tails of DS-9. As to any comparisons, Star Trek IS puritanical! (Starfleet technology found cures for both inertia and sex a long time ago!) biggrin.gif

not quite :rofl:

there is no real link, though JMS had been working on B5 for along time before DS9 if anyhting it woudl be the other way round *cough* dominion war* :woo:

and no i diddnt like DS9 (seemd liek a poor B5 copy) LOL

My thoughts exactly. B5 came out when the ST franchise was hale and hearty, and it appeared to be riding on the coat tails of DS-9. As to any comparisons, Star Trek IS puritanical! (Starfleet technology found cures for both inertia and sex a long time ago!) :unsure:

B5 started development in 1987 and the pilot episode's filming ended in 1992. At that point the series ARC had long been conceived. The first DS 9 episode didn't air till January 1993. I hardly think B5 was a copy of DS 9, if anything the accusations in the industry have been the other way around, and it was obvious DS 9 was influenced by B5's ARC. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but B5 had realistic characters and problems, no cute kids or goofy robots, and they actually showed three dimensional battles, where ships would enter from the bottom of the screen and go out the top, and inertia obviously still existed. It also had some incredibly funny moments too. Star Trek was always too politically correct and "happy, happy-joy, joy" for me, with a few exceptions.

Regards,

Murph

Edited by Murph
B5 started development in 1987 and the pilot episode's filming ended in 1992. At that point the series arc had long been conceived. The first DS 9 episode didn't air till January 1993. I hardly think B5 was a copy of DS 9, if anything the accusations in the industry have been the other way around, and it was obvious DS 9 was influenced by B5's arc. I'm not a big sci-fi fan, but B5 had realistic characters and problems, no cute kids or goofy robots, and they actually showed three dimensional battles, where ships would enter from the bottom of the screen and go out the top, and inertia obviously still existed. It also had some incredibly funny moments too. Star Trek was always too politically correct and "happy, happy-joy, joy" for me, with a few exceptions.

Regards,

Murph

Well said Murph, don't forget the Trek technobabble....

:o

MikeJ

Ya jsut dont get this in trek :o

Franklin: "I will not support murder. We can not kill him."

Ivanova: "Can we wound him ? Just a little?"

- "Dust to Dust"

Keffer: "But there's something out there!"

Ivanova: "Yes, there is. There's something out there. There's also something in here. That something in here is me giving you a direct order."

"I do not like Santiago. I've always thought that a leader should have a strong chin. He has no chin. And his vice president has several. This to me is not a good combination."

- Ivanova, "Midnight on the Firing Line"

"Ivanova is always right. I will listen to Ivanova. I will not ignore Ivanova's recommendations. Ivanova is God. And if this ever happens again, Ivanova will personally rip your lungs out. Babylon Control out. [sigh] Civilians. [Looking up] Just kidding about the God part -- no offense."

Lt. Commander Susan Ivanova, Voice in the Wilderness Part I

LD

Edited by Raymond

The dialogue in B5 was always witty and well written :cheers:

"You know, I'm getting little tired of these unannounced visits by VIPs who will not tell us why they are coming or what they are going to do when they get here."

"I'll leave it to you to try take all the fun out of life. I mean, come on, where's your sense of mystery, adventure?"

"Are you trying to cheer me up?"

"No, sir. Wouldn't dream of it."

"Good. I hate being cheered up. It's depressing."

"Well, in that case, we all are going to die horrible, painful, bleeding deaths."

"Thank you, I feel so much better now."

-- Sheridan and Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Matters of Honor"

"Delenn tells me that you are going to try contacting the First Ones. It is a magnificent idea. A daring, and splendid idea. In doing so you will see things no human has seen before. It will be fun. Assuming you are not vaporised, dissected, or otherwise killed in an assortment of supremely horrible and painful ways. Exciting, isn't it?"

-- Draal to Sheridan in Babylon 5:"Voices of Authority"

"No. No. No. No-no. Not good. No, no."

"Come on, find what you need and lets get away from here. We are running out of time."

"Can not run out of time, there is infinite time. You are finite, Zathras is finite. This is wrong tool. No. No. Not good. No. No. Never use this."

-- Zathras and Ivanova in Babylon 5:"War Without End #2"

"Who am I? I'm Susan Ivanova, Commander, daughter of Andrei and Sofie Ivanov. I am the right hand of vengeance, and the boot that is gonna kick your sorry *** all the way back to Earth, sweetheart. I'm death incarnate and the last living thing that you're ever going to see. God sent me."

-- Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Between the Darkness and the Light"

"This is Ambassador Delenn of the Minbari. Babylon 5 is under our protection. Withdraw, .. or be destroyed." (in the White Star, leading 2 Minbari war cruisers)

"Negative. We have authority here. Do not force us to engage your ship."

"Why not? Only one human captain has ever survived battle with a Minbari fleet. He is behind me. You are in front of me. If you value your lives, be somewhere else."

-- Delenn and Captain Drake in Babylon 5:"Severed Dreams"

so many good quotes :)

:rolleyes:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike

"Yes, you can help me. Two hours ago. Two hours ago I called you. I told you that there is .. a bug, an insect in my quarters."

"Well, we've been a little busy."

"Now, listen to me. I do not like insects. I do not like little brown things with eight legs. I do not like anything with eight legs. Well, except for the Vinzini, but only because they are terrible at cards. Something to do with compound eyes, I think. I want this thing dead!

-- Londo and B5 Maintenance in Babylon 5:"Sic Transit Vir"

"There were other women, but I never got past one."

"You mean first base."

"No, no, I mean one. You see, we have six a .. we have six, you see, and each one is a different level of intimacy and pleasure. So, you know, first you have one, and that's naa-naa. Then there's two .. and by you get to five it's a heehaa-heehaa."

-- Vir and Ivanova in Babylon 5:"Sic Transit Vir"

"And how are things at the royal court?"

"You know, collusion, politicking, scheming, innuendo, gossip. The same old thing."

"Good. Good. And your reports? I assume they went over well."

"Yes, sir. Very well."

"Did you tell them I helped with our reports?"

"No, there was no need to, they noticed it right off."

-- Londo and Vir in Babylon 5:"Sic Transit Vir"

That was a great episode, the look on Ivanova's face when Vir was describing Centauri anatomy and Londo chasing a bug through his quarters with a swat and a short sword.... :cheers:

:rolleyes:

MikeJ

I used to be a fan of Star Trek. Then along came B5. That ended Star Treks usefulness for me. I did get hooked on Enterprise, but as usual they killed it off in a ridiculously short incomprehensible way, and I doubt we will be seeing anything intelligent from them (Paramount)again. Once Gene Roddenberry died, the creative spirit went with it.

B5 had more intense moments in one season than did any star Trek show in a whole year. One of the episodes that really hit me was the one where Sheridan secedes from the Earth Alliance, and Clark sends the ships out to retake Babylon 5. That scene where Garibaldi is getting his men into position to deal with the breaching pod, and the Narns go charging in. I can still see that in my mind.

I only wish that JMS would do some more in that universe. I have read all the Babylon 5 books, and the story arcs there would make great series as well. Londos decent into darkness, Virs' rise to meet the destiny fortold, all of it makes excellent reading. OH well, we can always hope.

Sabre

well put Sabre!

that was a great episode!!,

Also the bombing of narn and londos expression were classic

as were the episodes leading up to"endgame' with garibaldis betyall etc were gobsmacking for a weekly show. as much as im loving galactica it still hassnt taken the dessent to that level!

oh i miss it :(

PS the awesomeness of Bester was brilliant :woot.gif:

Edited by Raymond

Yes, that episode was called "Severed dreams".

I found the scene where the Captain of the crippled EAS Churchill ramming the attacking Clarkist EA Destroyer to be very moving. The fantastic music by Christopher Franke really adding to that scene.

350px-B5Churchill.jpg

"I'm a telepath, you figure it out!"

Alfred Bester - Psi Cop (played by Walter Koenig)

:woot.gif:

MikeJ

Edited by madmike