Sea Harrier

I have to admit a preference for the cleaner lines of the FRS-1 from pure asthetics, maybe that's just the artist in me though :wacko:

Got the wing as far as I wanted this morning, if I get the upper fuselage area done tonight that'll give me a better perspective since the darker tones will show how much of a contrast there is. At the moment it sits next to the bright white of the bare paper and this makes it look quite dark.

800 prints you say John! Nice link to the squadron but not sure if I could find that many customers, good idea for places to find them though, :nanner:

Papa, the image is 30 by 40cm. I'll post some pictures of my materials for you once I get home but in the meantime, get painting :banana: I have two sets of paints and brushes, a cheap one for experimenting and expensive ones for more serious work, that way I don't feel so bad if an exercise turns out wrong or gets trashed.

Papa and Jeff, if you like the finished article I'll put #2 & 3 aside for you :cheers:

Edited by Col.

Ok Papa, here's a few shots you may appreciate :worship:

The open dish is cold water, the jar is used for warm due to the glass and narrow top helping to retain heat. At the moment I don't have a dedicated work-space because our flat is small but I tend to use the living room in the morning because of the good light. Whenever possible I like to work outside for this reason.

Most of what you see is Winsor & Newton, easily available and with good consistency, although I'm still looking for a better quality paper. Don't know if it's clear in the photo but some of the pans are very well used, the blue and purple tones take a hammering due to my liking for FAA subjects. The reds were used for a few Ducati motorcycles.

Edited by Col.

Papa, remember we were talking about waiting for washes to dry? I'll let you into a secret...

Started messing around with this one while waiting for the first washes around the canopy to dry. I'm more patient when distracted :worship:

Right, last one for now. Taken just before work this morning, spot the difference from last time, there's another hour gone in there.

That should be enough time for the wash on the upper fuselage to be stable, more to follow soon I hope.

Even the sketch amazes me. The perspective is perfect. Is it taken from a picture? e.g. do you go to an airshow, take a picture of the aircraft you want and then copy the picture onto the canvas directly?

I've NEVER been able to draw aircraft, unless more or less copied from a real life picture.

Papa, remember we were talking about waiting for washes to dry? I'll let you into a secret...

Started messing around with this one while waiting for the first washes around the canopy to dry. I'm more patient when distracted :whistle:

HOLY CRAP! He's got an 11 squadron Lightning F6 going as well!!!!

Although it's not my thing, I gotta say that the motorcycle is FABULOUS!!!

Col, if you do indeed decide to get prints of the SHAR, and perhaps the Lightning, and anything else you ever do, then I have a feeling that I'm going to have to get a second job to pay for prints!!! :lol:

GORGEOUS stuff buddy! :D

Cheers!

John

Papa, I have a preference for working from the real thing but unfortunately the oportunity doesn't arise as often as I'd like :( so it's photos and/or models most of the time. At least this allows a stable reference for light conditions but doesn't let you get the same feel for the shape of a subject available when working off the real thing. (Wonder how the neighbours would react if they found a SHAR parked in the back garden :nanner: ) The only way round this is to gather as much information on the subject before starting. A large pile of photos was reduced into several key sketches, a few select pictures and a scale drawing to accompany the main photo I wanted to work from before I started this one. The whole process took the best part of a year from start to finish before comitting pencil to paper.

I have no problem with artists "copying" from a photograph so long as we do something to make the image our own. My thing is to draw out the colours in a slightly abstract style in the hope it makes the viewer think about the effect of light patterns playing across the object.

John, yes an F6 but not necessarily an 11 Sqn. bird in tactical camoflage. I've been giving some thought to a bare metal finish for a while now but that's a decision post-SHAR :o

Didn't have a lot to show from this morning, laying down layers for the shadow along the upper fuselage beside the wing. Ain't going to get much done this evening (visiting our neighbours for the first time since we moved in 10 months ago :rofl: ) but I'll try to post some progress on Friday. Approaching the point where I have to think about light being reflected off the carrier deck and it's effect on the fuselage sides so progress will slow a little now. Wish me luck!

A natural metal Lightning you say? That would be nice! I was going by the initial markings that you had on the nose and tail but realize that those markings (as you pointed out) can always be changed!

I look forward to seeing the fruits of your efforts!

Cheers!

John

Thank you Skii, what you working on just now? Still in awe of your Tonka.

John, the Lightning needs a lot more research before I take it any further but it's high up on the list of priorities. I'll try to post a more comprehensive thread on the research into it if anyone's interested before I start laying down paint on that one.

Took a few minutes to check over what I did this morning and fire in a little panel detail this evening but hope to get a good bit done the morn. Friday off work :banana: That should give me something worth posting.

Airfix Hawk and a Hase Lanc, buth just started on the bench mate ;)

I remember the Lanc, (christmas from your girl, right?) but the Hawk is news to me. You gotta get a thread up for those :cheers:

Ain't got as much done as planned with the SHAR today but there's a bit less bare paper showing so that's something I guess.

Upper fuselage still needs a lot more detail in the rear section but at least the base tones are there and I can start thinking about the vertical fin and horizontal tailplanes now. The dark shadow next to the starboard wing seems to pull everything together a bit better but after three seperate sessions in one day it'll be tomorrow before I'll know if it looks right :wacko:

Edited by Col.

I don't know if it's just me but the tailplane looks a little to steep, this is after looking at my airfix harrier just above the monitor.

[edit] ignore that, I think it's just my late night eyes.

Edited by PapaSmurf630

:worship: Fantastic, I would love to be able to produce something like that, it's great to see the almost daily updates too, it really helps me to see how the painting is constructed, keep them coming Col.

Love the Lightning too :worship:, can't wait to see more.

Ant

Edited by Ant Phillips

Ant and GiZ, thanks for your kind words, everyone's enthusiasim and support has helped me do a lot more work than would normaly be the case in such a short time-frame. I started the background washes a little over a fortnight ago and am surprized to have come this far without a break.

Papa, the horizontal tailplanes on Harriers tend to settle with a fair degree of incidence at rest and this causes the leading-edge sweepback to look sharper than would otherwise be the case. I've had a look at the photos and scale drawing I'm working from again and everything seems to match up ok. I hope :cheers: Your not the first person to comment on this area though. It may work out better once there's some colour added.

There has been a few times I felt I'd made insufficient progress to justify a fresh update but I'll try to keep a regular schedule from now on.

Once again, thankyou to everyone for your support :wave:

Got the afternoon off today so guess what I'll be doing ;)

Edited by Col.
I remember the Lanc, (christmas from your girl, right?) but the Hawk is news to me. You gotta get a thread up for those :worship:

Ain't got as much done as planned with the SHAR today but there's a bit less bare paper showing so that's something I guess.

Upper fuselage still needs a lot more detail in the rear section but at least the base tones are there and I can start thinking about the vertical fin and horizontal tailplanes now. The dark shadow next to the starboard wing seems to pull everything together a bit better but after three seperate sessions in one day it'll be tomorrow before I'll know if it looks right :wacko:

WOW Col!

You've made some great progress! That Sea Jet is really shaping up! I love that you have even added the RAT door ahead of the tail.

Man I wish I could do something like this!

Keep up the good work buddy!

John

Ok Andres, here's what's happened over the last 2 hours.

The shadow on the rear fuselage took up most of this session, the panel detail and that tube projecting from just in front of the tailplane (only noticed this recently, anyone know what it does?) went down in minutes. The red warning lines over the engine access area was also rather time-consuming, mostly experiments on scrap paper but there's at least three shades of red and a bit of brown going on in the actual image :wacko:

Gonna take a break from it for the evening but should get the tailplanes done on Sunday. After that it'll be the vertical fin and then I'll need to concentrate on the underwing area, only once I've that blocked in will I know if the pilot will require more detail to balance the image.

BTW, the weird flame-like area under the wing close to the rear exhaust is a start to my thinking about highlights on the lower fuselage caused by light reflecting off the deck. It might make more sense once taken a bit further, we'll see :worship:

Edited by Col.

Thankyou Koen. Now, a question.

How would you guys feel if I posted a set of step-by-step images as I lay down the colour washes and detail on, say for example, the tailplane to show my methods? Overkill or interesting, let me know either way.

On a final note, 1700 veiws and climbing fast :D I never for one moment thought there would this much interest in some bloke splashing paint around on a bit of paper :worship: