Sea Harrier

I'd LOVE to know your technique, would help me out more than you can imagine!

You're an artist, there's nothing more interesting then watching an artist work if you ask me. That's why you've got so many page hits...and it's a welcome change from the usual model making that goes on here.

Col, fantastic work there mate.

Just a thought, I see you are doing an 800 sqn machine, have you thought about doing an 801 sqn jet? Seeing that they are disbanding in March as the last ever Sea Harrier squadron if you were to do some prints you might sell more. I am serving at Yeovilton and know the chaps over on 801 very well indeed (my best mate is the disbandment officer), I could dip my big toe in the water for you to see what the potential market would be. Failing that 800 sqn reform in April on the GR 9 at Cottesmore, I know some of the chaps up there and again could maybe get some orders for you? Drop me a line if you are interested.

Ok lads, just away to start. I'll post a batch once I've finished the tailplane, which shouldn't take too long.

Haggis, if you can do that for me I'd be delighted. Nice idea about 801, never thought about linking it up like that.

First wash, antwerp blue cuts out the bright white of the paper and defines the first areas of colour. Light chrome yellow is used to plan a reflection from the tailpane end plate, it looks much deeper than it should because the still-wet paint has gathered a lot of light from the camera flash.

The time it's taken me to edit the photo and post this should see these colours well on the way to being dry and ready for the next wash...

Purple has been used to deepen the blue and kill off the last of the bare white paper. The end-plate reflection has also taken it's first wash of purple to tone down the yellow where necessary. Again the paint is still wet and so looks deeper on the screen than on the paper.

The richer tone of Prussian blue has given some depth to the areas of blue and the top of the end-plate reflection. It's mostly been used toward the lower edge of the tailplane as it exits the picture and the light fades. More purple added to the base of the reflection just helps define where it'll eventualy mingle with the dark shadows cast in this area.

The light in my room is begining to change as the sun becomes stronger but this effects the photos more than the actual painting.

Paynes Grey has been used sparingly at the lower edge and top corner of the tailplane. Neutral Tint (a strange name for a dark purple shade <_< ) gives more depth as we move into the shadow of the end-plate and some areas of Antwerp Blue under a quick wash of purple between the base of the fin and the end-plate start to define the other side of this area and the start of the shadows cast by the fin.

Gonna take a break now and let everything dry before going any further. I've arranged to meet some cycling buddys and it's a nice day for a long training ride so that'll give me time to look at it with a fresh eye when I get back.

Thanks for looking, hope you've found it interesting so far.

Well it may have been a sunny day but certainly wasn't warm! Never mind, it was a good ride and every one's a bonus at this time of year. Got back and took advantage of the daylight to work on the fin/tailplane area again.

Mostly layers of Neutral Tint build up to acchive depth with a little Prussian Blue to break the monotone. As far as I can tell the tailplane skin is spot-welded on to the internal construction. This should create very shallow dimples on the surface that catch and reflect the light at a slightly different angle, it'll be a very faint detail on an otherwise featureless section of the aircraft but will hopefully be enough to distract the eye from the shadows.

Looking superb mate, really want to see this finished :whistle:

Thanks mate, me too!

Here's that spot-welds I was thinking of.

The first line from the leading edge is Burnt Umber, close enough to the Purple and Antwerp Blue to stand out without being too eye-catching. The second line is Paynes Grey and those in the shadow are Neutral Tint.

Thankyou gents. Glad to hear your girl likes it too John, is she interested in aviation?

Took the rest of the evening off to catch up with friends but Fiona's working a late shift on Monday so that should give me a few hours at it again. I'll try to describe the next stages in some detail again but let me know if there's anything I can tell you to clarify what I'm doing.

I am amazed by the quality and realism of your watercolor harrier, watching every step of it with awe... A really interesting and beautifull progress to track as well. Thank you for sharing it with us, it is trully becoming a stunning drawing :cheers: :o

Thankyou Andrew, that's a tasty looking Black Widow in your signature section by the way. One of your own?

I still can't get over just how many people are following this thread. When I posted the last pictures it had collected 1960-odd views, now it's up beyond 2060 :lol:

Good day to you sir.I thought I better comment on your masterpiece in the making......SMASHING !! I can truly appreciate the work involved (fine art student U of M 1987 and commercial art RRCC) as well as having a picture framing business up until 2002.

I`ve been following your progress with childlike enthusiasm...makes for a great visual read.I look forward to many more installments.Between yourself and Chico artist and the many talented builders on this site ,it`s like ones own private art gallery.

If only I had a lovely glass of red wine. :o

sincerely;

Paul T

Col.

Boy what an art lesson! Thanks for taking the time to post your in progress pics. I'm learning a great deal watching the progress. Its looking great. It inspires me to jump back on my painting projects.

Thanks for sharing!

Kyle aim9guy

Thankyou gents. Glad to hear your girl likes it too John, is she interested in aviation?

Took the rest of the evening off to catch up with friends but Fiona's working a late shift on Monday so that should give me a few hours at it again. I'll try to describe the next stages in some detail again but let me know if there's anything I can tell you to clarify what I'm doing.

Danielle (my GF) likes aviation, she's not a diehard like me by any means, but she also really likes art. When I first showed her the painting she thought it was a photo. If you do indeed get prints made of it, she is equally looking forward to seeing a copy of it hanging on my wall! :cheers:

Cheers!

John

Paul, I have to agree with you. (Although I couldn't have put it so well) I've always found Chico's work interesting and inspiring, for although he works in a different medium I still feel it's possible to learn new techniques that can cross over. Also, some of the models featured are the work of master sculptors and true craftsmen.

Kyle (aim9guy). Yes! Get those paints out and lets see your work. I'll try to keep showing my progress on this sort of depth if it helps anyone. This time I'll just take the photos as I go and leave the update 'til later if you don't mind. Trying to do it in real-time broke my concentration too much and made progress somewhat artificial. If there's anything you want to know, please ask. So much of what I do comes automticaly and I don't think about it so I never consider telling you guys.

John (and Danielle!), I have a few days off during this week so will investigate the prints further. Already tried asking at the local studio shop and had a trawl through the 'net to get more information but now I need to speak with someone who knows about the various options avilable and exactlly how much it'll cost.

Now, since I'm up and don't have to go to work for another couple of hours I might as well get a wee bit more done :rolleyes:

Ok lads, just away to start. I'll post a batch once I've finished the tailplane, which shouldn't take too long.

Haggis, if you can do that for me I'd be delighted. Nice idea about 801, never thought about linking it up like that.

Col,

Jamie does have a good idea there. Just make sure that you have your references right concerning the tail markings for 801 as they differ between the SHAR1 and the SHAR2.

Cheers!

John

Yes Col. it is one of my own, presented some time ago in the props section :thumbsup:. Needless to say, you have inspired me with your awesome work, and i have started a drawing of my own, but not ofcourse coloured! I am not keen with colours on paper :P. Waiting for more pics of this excellent creation of yours!

John, funny you should say that, spent some time this morning trawling through the reference looking at 801s 'fist' and noticed some subtle differences on various aircraft. First time I'd picked up on this :cheers:

Andrew, what's your subject? Please post a picture, I haven't done any pencil sketches for a while and all my previous work is in other people's houses. Even my dad doesn't have one and he's got a fair collection of my stuff.