Doctorpepper's 1/48 F-15E Eagle

Ken, thanks, i have a few myself of the dropped intakes from f-15strikeeagle.com. what i was really looking for was like an INTERNAL shot of the intake when it's dropped, ie how the diffuser ramps shape up on the inside. all shots i've seen so far have the intakes as a black hole; so as of now, i'm gonna wing it and assume most of it is flat

thanks again!

Got some updates for you guys today...

finally finished mating the academy intakes to the revell kit - still need a little bit of work on that, but i'm more or less done. my next step should be to complete the pit and pilots, cover it up and then spray primer to check; this should give the putty applid today a few days to set and shrink as well...

only 4 shots, but representing a lot of cutting and dry fitting and cursing as mistakes were made in the fitting , you get the idea

224c3eb6.jpg

c321a78c.jpg

you can't see it, but i've scribed the two circles on the extra panel when the intakes are dropped

6ca1abd8.jpg

182f9ecd.jpg

thanks for looking

DP, not sure if it is bare metal intentionally, or from wear.

How about this pic? :blink: Intake is up, but the insides are weird....taken from a Florida ANG F-15 on display

f-15A%2076080%20Gate%20Guard%2008%20Intake.jpg

Ken is that a gate guard? If I saw an intake like that preflight I would have maintenance over in a heartbeat.

Regards,

Murph

Looking good Doctorpepper, I sympathise with fitting the intakes. I`m having enough trouble fitting my drooped Academy intakes to my Academy airframe. Much respect to you for mating them to a Revell kit.

This evening will witness round two of me, a big ol` mix of milliput, and an F-15. :D

Cheers, Ian

Looking good Doctorpepper, I sympathise with fitting the intakes. I`m having enough trouble fitting my drooped Academy intakes to my Academy airframe. Much respect to you for mating them to a Revell kit.

This evening will witness round two of me, a big ol` mix of milliput, and an F-15. :worship:

Cheers, Ian

thanks! more battles ahead for me too - gonna try and close up the pit by this weekend. still have to modify the fuel tanks a little and mate the LAU-129s to the pylons, cut the rudders and swing them off starboard; before i can commence painting. i gotta go buy a few more hasegawa weapons sets too if i'm gonna be putting a typical OIF loadout

with regards the the fuel tanks - were they all a standard colour? or was there a mix in OEF/OIF? like a few in FS36375, a few in FS36118.

Doc,

The nestables (blunt rear ends also called WRM tanks) were in light ghost gray, while the regular tanks were in gunship gray. A Beagle could have carried all of one type or the other, or a mix of the two. In short, anything goes.

Regards,

Murph

more updates for you guys...

i spent about 3 hours today just trying to get the pilots right.

pilot on left, WSO on right, waving.

738ed5da.jpg

another view

61ff1629.jpg

i'm not entirely satisfied, especially with the black cord that goes around their oxygen tube. all this stuff is really hard to attach with superglue for some reason...

after seeing the photos, i also realise that the pilot needs some cleaning up.

other than that - i used excess PE fret for the seat belts, masking tape round wound 16 gauge beading wire for the "padding thingy" :banana:

here's a few shots of them in their office..

ea3d4e39.jpg

2ff488f4.jpg

i must say though, that the pilots definitely look better on this attempt. they've got the right stance, etc, that you commonly see in photos. they have yet to be flatcoated, so if there's any mistakes you'd like to point out, just shoot. better to correct it now than later

hearya guys

just a small update today:

experience has taught me that the panel lines need to be a little deeper than what the kit has in order to withstand a few coats of paint, weathering, future, and still give sharp results under a wash - so that's what i did. i took out my needle in a pin vise and deepened the panel lines just a tad

this kit has plenty of rivets - and i spent a good hour just taking a drill bit and cleaning out the rivets, or re-riveting. the task wasn't exactly... riveting, and i found myself losing concentration quite a bit, squinting and all

after the primer coat, i checked for stray scratches, panel lines i didn't like the look of, seams that required re-filling and rescribing- and hence the following photo (experimental camo F-15?). i'm trying to be a bit more meticulous here so that i'll get used to being tedious and anal about such small things and hopefully transplant it to a few 1/32 works (when i get started). sometimes, a small flaw can really irk you - you know what i mean?

4fbf06e5.jpg

in other news, both pilots have been.. sanitized of their combat patches.

i still have to clean out the rivets for this round, and start on the underside. i might not be able to see the sun set tomorrow at the rate i'm using up my eye power B)

thanks for looking! didn't realise i was beyond 1000 views - come on people! speak up! critiques are more than welcome - better to tell me i made a mistake now than after everything has gone on

David

This is a fun build to watch. I wish I had the skills that you evidence...which makes me think of an old jingle and I certainly wish I was a Pepper too. ;-)

Edited by StevenJ

murph or anyone else -

after looking at some pics, i've realised that some jets have a square box in front of the windshield, just behind the radome line, painted a light gray, whereas others don't have that. what is that box - is it jet specific, or would all current OIF jets not have that?

also - when the intakes are dropped; there is a variable vent behind the intakes, slightly rearward of the gun port - would that be open when the intakes are down?

finally - what is the take off flap angle?

many thanks,

David