2006 IPMS/USA National Convention

Here is the latest and current news for your Convention:

3 weeks to go!!

* = new info

*We have made the Walk In Contest and Walk In Model Registration Form's available online. If you missed the chance to register online you can download these forms from the registration page and fill them out before you come to the convention.

Please fill out one Walk In Contest Form #1 and Disclaimer form for each person entering the contest and one Walk In Model Registration Form #2 for each model to be entered in the contest.

For you walk in registrants, please note that we can only accept cash or check for payment, we will not be taking credit cards. There is an ATM in the hotel lobby if you need it. Registration forms will be available on our website very shortly that you can download and fill out prior to your arrival.

*All online registration functions have been shut down. We are now busy preparing registration envelopes (among 10 thousand other things!)

Also just a reminder: You must be a current member of IPMS to enter the contest. You can join IPMS/USA or renew your membership by going here: http://www.ipmsusa.org/MemberServices/membership.htm

We have been informed by IPMS/USA that all registrants who will be competing at the 2006 IPMS National Convention in Kansas City will need to review a disclaimer and agree to the terms by signing it. If you have already registered you can download the Disclaimer form and bring it with you to the convention or Disclaimer forms will be available for signing at the convention. The disclaimer form can be viewed here: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/Docs/Disclaimer.pdf

*PARKING:

Free parking for everyone!

Here is the official last word on parking in the Hyatt parking garage. We have arranged free parking for all attendees of the convention, even if you are not staying at the Hyatt. Here is the catch: If you are not a guest of the hotel, you must get a parking pass. You will be able to get these in the registration area, inquire at our information booth. The pass is only good for one use, when you leave you will not have return privileges. One pass per day please.

If you are a guest of the hotel, simply instruct the parking attendent of your name and room number, and off you go - as often as you like.

Everybody make sure you are using the Hyatt garage, located just north (left) of the Hotel Lobby entrance.

*HOSPITALITY PARTY

Looks like the shindig hosted by Two-Bobs Graphics and other supporting sponsors is on! The party will be Thursday night, August 3 from 9:00 PM to Midnight. Last I heard, free beer and treats will be provided.

CONTEST ROOM:

To make it easier on you when you enter the main contest room, we have put up a category map. You can print off this map and circle the table your entries will go on, and then you’ll be able to walk right to them. We’ll also have a large map of the room printed up and on display at the entrance. To view the map, go here: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/graphics/ContestRoom1.gif

Hotel Rooms:

We are pleased to announce that the Hyatt hotel, our convention headquarters, is sold out! In order to keep costs down and more rooms available for those wishing to attend that have not made their hotel reservations yet, we have contracted with the Fairfield Inn by Marriott in Kansas City. The hotel is located in historic Downtown Union Hill area and is one mile from the convention hall. Parking is available in the hotel parking lot at no charge to room guests. The KCATA has a bus stop just out side of the hotel entrance that will take you to the convention center.

Room Rates for the Fairfield Inn are: $84.00 + tax for King, $89.00 + tax for Queen

All reservations must be made by 7/12/2006.

To reserve your room please call: 1-816-931-5700 and identify yourself with the International Plastic Modelers Association Overflow Rooms.

The hotel address is: Fairfield Inn by Marriott, 3001 Main Street, Kansas City, MO 64108

If you wish to stay in the Convention hotel system, there is another hotel available, The Westin, which is reachable through the Crown Center. The cost of rooms for the nights of the convention 8/2 – 8/5 is $249 per night, and self parking is $13.00 per night. Reservations can be made by calling 888-627-8538.

VENDORS:

The main Vendor Room is sold out, with a total of 255 tables. We have negotiated a second large room inside the Hyatt Hotel to accommodate more Vendors. This room is only available on Thursday Aug 3 and Friday Aug 4. Vendors using this room must close down at 6:00 PM Friday and vacate the room. Tables for this room will be at a reduced cost due to the limited days: $60/table instead of the normal $80. Interested vendors should contact our Vendor Coordinator, Steve Siebers at vendors@ipmsusa2006.org

For Vendors wishing to ship merchandise directly to the Convention, you must contact Gary Bates with the George Fern Company. Gary’s email is gbates@geofern.com

SPONSORSHIP and AWARDS:

A new award is being offered: ADH Publishing’s owner has agreed to give the overall winner of the Junior category (the Tom Kolk award) a free year’s subscription to either Tamiya Model Magazine, Model Airplane International or Model Military International, depending on the subject matter of the overall winner.

Trophy and Category sponsorship is going well. All “Best Of†and Theme Awards have been sponsored, but we still have many categories available. Sponsors will be recognized throughout the show in many ways. Please consider supporting the Convention with a sponsorship from you, your club or business.

Our sponsorship page can be found here: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/Sponsors.php

We have a list up on the website listing our sponsors and what category or award they have sponsored: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/SponsorsList.php

We have put together a very attractive trophy package for you this year. There are also a couple additional awards: Best Skyhawk presented by the Skyhawk Association, and Best Civil Aviation Subject presented by the Air Service Museum. Also new this year is the Traveling Group Build award, go here for more info: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/CusterCup.php

SEMINARS:

Steve Bamford of Aircraft Resource Center (ARC) will be doing a seminar on the history of ARC, that will also include a social time for ARC'rs to meet and chat. We have a great selection of speakers that will be presenting at this years convention. Speakers like decorated war hero Hugh Mills, author of “Low Level Hell†and local modeler extraordinare Bill Pettyjohn, who’s outstanding work has been featured in Fine Scale Modeler magazine. This year we are also trying something new, Meet the Modeler. There are always a few models in the contest room that everybody is talking about, and this will be a chance to meet and chat with those modelers (depending on participation). This event will be held on Saturday Aug 5, from 1-3 PM. For a full list of scheduled speakers and events, go here: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/SpeakerSchedule.php

WIFE’S & KIDS CLUB:

The girls have been busy lining up activities! We will have a special room at the Hyatt (Room #4008 – 40th floor) devoted to significant others and children. This room is available as a place to relax, plus there will be numerous activities for both adults and children to enjoy. If you have any suggestions or questions please direct them to Leslie Quirk or Jayne Ciccarella at: wivesclub@ipmsusa2006.org

*A schedule of events for the Wives & Kids Club has been posted on our website. Please check for updates on the Wife’s & Kids Club here: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/WifesClub.php

MAKE & TAKE:

We are also hosting a “Make & Take†event for the children. A free model will be provided, and experienced modelers will be on hand to assist in construction. This is a fun event and a great way to encourage our youth to experience the joys of modeling. This event will be held on Saturday Aug 5, 1-3 PM.

THINGS TO DO:

There are plenty of things to do in Kansas City besides the Convention. We will be providing information in our registration area about the best barbeque and restaurants that are close by. There is world class shopping, eating and entertainment all within covered walking distance of the Convention Center. For a directory of area attractions, museums, etc. please go to: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/ThingsToDo.php

OTHER NEWS:

We have added a Volunteer link, please consider signing up and helping out during the convention. http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/Volunteer.php

Display Tables: We have a very limited amount of tables available for reservation, if you want one do not hesitate as they will be sold on a first come, first served basis. Please note the rules on the web page: http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/Display.php

We have put up a map of the contest room layout. You can print this off to make it easier for you to find your category, plus we'll have a large color map printed up and displayed at the entrance to the room. http://www.ipmsusa2006.org/Contest.php

Please note there are no electrical hookups available in the contest room or display area. Modelers with entries needing power are encouraged to arrange battery backup.

Any questions, comments or suggestions are most welcome, please post them here.

Edited by Kelly Quirk

Hello all?

I have some questions regarding this years nationals, any answers would be greatly appreciated.

1. Is there an admission charge?

2. If we are unable to get hotel rooms my wife and I were thinking about commuting in every day since we live in the Kansas city metro area. If there is an admission charge will we only have to pay on the first day,or will we be charged every day we return?

3. Probably the dumbest question off all, but do you have to be an IPMS member to attent the contest, I know you have to be to enter, but I was just wandering about attentence in general?

4. When you join IPMS, how do they collect dues, by credit card, check, or some other method?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to meeting alot of you this year.

Brian Aldridge. :rofl:

Brian,

I am sure Kelly will get on soon to give you the official answer, but here's what every Nationals have done that I have attended:

1. Yes - there is a general admission charge if you do not enter the contest. If you enter, the admission charge is included with the contest entry cost.

2. Both Nats I have been to, IIRC, has a 1 day and an entire event admission charge.

3. To enter the contest, you have to be an IPMS member. To get in and look around (and shop at our tables :*), you do not need to be an IPMS member.

4. I don't remember this one (have never paid at a Nats).

HTH for now until Kelly gives the official answers.

Gordon

Gordon did a fine job answering the questions (thanks Gordon!)

Our daily admission fee will be $8 per person (children are free), and that must be paid every day you attend. There is no discounted rate for a "full pass". You must have a day pass to enter both the model room and the vendor room. Like Gordon said, if you have registered for the contest, you do not need to to purchase the day passes.

To join IPMS, either fill out one of the cards in any of the modeling magazines and mail in with a check, or go to the IPMS/USA website: http://www.ipmsusa.org/ and click on 'Why Join IPMS/USA" and at the bottom you'll find an on-line application. I'm not sure how they take payment, I assume since it's online they'll take CC or PayPal. IPMS/USA will also have a booth at the 2006 National where you can join on the spot, though I'm not sure how they accept payment there.

Hope this answers your questions, please let me know if you have anything further.

We shouldn't have any problem increasing our block of rooms for Wednesday night. We have a block of 300 rooms for Thur, Fri and Sat so I'm confident they would let us match that for Wed if the need is there. But, just for reference there is the Westin Hotel that is also attached to Crown Center, and even though we don't have convention rates set up with them, they can be reached at 816-391-4424.

Kelly,

Are you guys eventually going to work out convention rates with the Westin as the overflow hotel? I have a feeling that you're probably going to sell out of rooms well in advance of August, as I have a feeling that this is going to be a big convention.

Kelly,

Are you guys eventually going to work out convention rates with the Westin as the overflow hotel? I have a feeling that you're probably going to sell out of rooms well in advance of August, as I have a feeling that this is going to be a big convention.

No, we will not have any rates set up with the Westin. In order to get a special convention rate, we have to guarantee that a certain amount of rooms will be booked. If those rooms aren't booked, then we have to pay for them no matter what. So, I'm sure you'd agree that we can't put that kind of financial responsibility upon ourselves... We feel that we have a big enough room block to accomodate the convention, without getting ourselves in trouble. With that being said, when they sell out, that's it (with the exception of Wednesday night, we are willing to increase that as needed). Your best bet, book your rooms early!

Sounds like good advice to me, my friend. In fact, my room is already booked, and I'm going to be booking my flight later this week. :lol:

BTW, one last question, if I may. Any idea what the hotel charges for high-speed internet access? We'll be doing daily updates from the convention site, and at the hotel in Atlanta, the hi-speed internet was an ancillary charge (and was a bit pricey, I might add). No big deal as long as we know about it ahead of time.

Your best bet, book your rooms early!

Would love to do just that, but the rate as of 11 Jan is still $189 for Wednesday. Guess I'll go ahead and book the other nights and hope Wednesday gets settled at the convention rate also. Airline ticket will have to wait until the room rate is finalized. Yes, I know...waaa waaaa.

Seems that 300 rooms is a small block, but I have no history like you do -- just seems the success in Atlanta will spill over to Kansas City as concerns attendance.

Gene K

Edited by Gene K

Kelly -

Far be it for me to give out nats advice (seeing as I am the most hated man in IPMS), but if you do fill the Hyatt, you could always see if the Westin will give you an overflow contract... We did that with the Mariott at the end, after we had filled both the Waverly and the Sheraton, we put bids out to the other area hotels to see who would give a no commitment rate.

Since the Mariott had no other imminent business, they obliged with another hundred rooms - with no commitment or attrition penalties.

In the end it just purely depends on whether or not the Westin has enough business at that time. Typically summer weekends are hard to fill for hotels that normally rely on business travel - so if y'all still need room at the end, give that a shot.

Looking forward to ENJOYING a nats!

All the best,

Paul

Sound advice Paul, and it certainly won't hurt to check. With that being said, the Hyatt has been very accommodating about us increasing our room block, and I would assume that if we sell out our current block, they will have room to increase it. Just want to make sure we fulfill our contract first!

PS - we still love you! :blink:

Absolutely - you want to fill your current contract first, we had our blocks continuously expanded by the two main hotels, to the point where there literally weren't any other rooms in the hotel. On Friday night, we had something like 475 rooms full in the Waverly and 250 in the Sheraton - over 700 rooms combined. Our contract was far less than that...

It's a pretty easy last minute thing you can do - and believe me, the folks will appreciate it - we filled more than we thought we would in the Marriott...

Sounds like it's going to be a fun time!

Paul

Kelly,

Appears there's no hotel shuttle to/from the airport. What do you recommend?

Gene K

Hi Gene,

You are correct, there is no free shuttle from the airport to the Hyatt. There is a shuttle, called the KCI Shuttle, that will pick you up and transport you to any local area hotel for $15 one way. Pick up the red courtesy phone in the terminal to arrange pick up. I'm told one comes by every 1/2 hour. A cab ride to downtown will cost about $25.

I am exploring other options, but that's the best one so far.

Kelly,

That's really not a bad price. The shuttle at Atlanta was $35 round trip, and that was discounted for IPMS, so $30 round trip doesn't seem unreasonable to me. Can you get the KCI shuttle from the hotel to the airport as well, or will it have to be a cab back to the airport?

PS: Mind if I split this off and pin it as a topic of its own? I think that come August, this is something that everyone is going to need to know if they're flying in.